Online Vinyl Deals

Curious for those who got the Light in the Attic bundles, what's the quality like on your records? I've only opened/cleaned three, but my Willie Nelson has a slight warp and is off center, my Lee Moses and Free Design have pretty deep dish warps, and I haven't opened the other two yet. Hate to be cynical, but feeling like the reason LITA put all the same records in their mystery bundles is they got a batch of bad pressings and decided to sell them for cheap.

EDIT: Threw on Free Design, not even two songs in and there's horrendous nonfill.

I've asked for a refund/return. Not going to bother opening the last two records in the bundle as it's fairly obvious what I can expect quality-wise. Pretty disappointed.

EDIT: Threw on the Lee Moses out of curiosity, no audio in the right channel.

Last edited:
Curious for those who got the Light in the Attic bundles, what's the quality like on your records? I've only opened/cleaned three, but my Willie Nelson has a slight warp and is off center, my Lee Moses and Free Design have pretty deep dish warps, and I haven't opened the other two yet. Hate to be cynical, but feeling like the reason LITA put all the same records in their mystery bundles is they got a batch of bad pressings and decided to sell them for cheap.

EDIT: Threw on Free Design, not even two songs in and there's horrendous nonfill.

I've asked for a refund/return. Not going to bother opening the last two records in the bundle as it's fairly obvious what I can expect quality-wise. Pretty disappointed.

Maybe the ride on one of your warped records knocked your cartridge leads loose? Don’t know how a pressing could knock out a whole channel, and the video almost sounded like a poor connection more than nonfill, but it’s hard to tell.

Maybe the ride on one of your warped records knocked your cartridge leads loose? Don’t know how a pressing could knock out a whole channel, and the video almost sounded like a poor connection more than nonfill, but it’s hard to tell.

It didn't knock out a channel, it's just not on the record. It's a bad pressing. I could swap out my cartridge if I really wanted to rule things out, but spot-checking the rest of the record there's some dull/quiet moments and other areas where channels cut out.

I put on a record after to confirm there's nothing wrong with my stylus or anything, and no issues.

I also looked up these records on discogs and found one review from a few days ago on the Pacific Breeze comp stating there's a lot of distortion throughout.

I hate to be cynical but it seems based on my experience that these are all bad pressing in some capacity.

LITA return policy says sales are final unless I can prove records are unplayable, so seems like I've got an annoying process in front of me to get my money back. I could sell them on discogs to try to recoup my $10 but don't really feel like making this someone else's problem.

My We Are Busy Bodies mystery box showed up while we were out visiting family. I'll post pics later, but even though I already had two things in it (one from a mystery pack a long while back, and another picked up on a big sale earlier this year, I still wound up with 13 LPs, 3 7"s and felt mat for my $100. No Gizz or The Drive like I'd hoped (or, my ultimate WABB dream: the out of- print/stock Limblifter album!) but an interesting/exciting looking haul nonetheless.

My We Are Busy Bodies mystery box showed up while we were out visiting family. I'll post pics later, but even though I already had two things in it (one from a mystery pack a long while back, and another picked up on a big sale earlier this year, I still wound up with 13 LPs, 3 7"s and felt mat for my $100. No Gizz or The Drive like I'd hoped (or, my ultimate WABB dream: the out of- print/stock Limblifter album!) but an interesting/exciting looking haul nonetheless.

20231210_184354.jpg

@MikeH @yukbon

Wow. Sorry you got dealt a bad hand.

Conversely, I bought a 10 LP bundle, got all the same records you mentioned and have zero issues. Everything is flat, quiet and devoid of external noise/non-fill etc...

50% off a few Target exclusives
That's a great price on the Weeknd compilation, which is a great spin for sure and probably all that many people would need.

If not for rent control I’d probably be double your mortgage for a 500 sq ft apartment in Maine. As it stands I’m at about 1.5x. Which is why I love vinyl deals!

(Trying to keep it on topic-ish)

I’m actually eyeing a move to the Twin Cities at some point in the coming years so maybe I’ll be joining you in the land of engine block heaters.
I didn't know Maine had rent control! Is it certain cities only, or statewide?

Don't worry, I'm turning this from Online Vinyl Deals into Real Estate Deals Are A Thing Of The Past 😭

With the current interest rates we never would have been able to afford our house.
Same here. If we had honestly come in a few MONTHS later, we wouldn't have gotten mortgage approval. It's absolutely insane, just one of many systems that needs major overhaul. Anyway, I cheers my coffee to the Bird Lady this morning.

I didn't know Maine had rent control! Is it certain cities only, or statewide?

Don't worry, I'm turning this from Online Vinyl Deals into Real Estate Deals Are A Thing Of The Past 😭
It's just in Portland. And landlords have tried to get rid of it every single election (with increasingly sneaky tactics). It's far from perfect and they all jacked up rents right before it started, but if not for rent control it would be raised more then the $30-40 it does every year.

I pay like $1400 for a 1BR. When certain criteria are met, the landlords can "reset" the base rent. Right now "base rent" for my same apt is $1700. And no one is building anything new so it's just staying this way for the forseeable future.

P.S. I lived in Asheville for a while, went to Warren Wilson for undergrad and hung around after. I miss Harvest Records :(

It's just in Portland. And landlords have tried to get rid of it every single election (with increasingly sneaky tactics). It's far from perfect and they all jacked up rents right before it started, but if not for rent control it would be raised more then the $30-40 it does every year.

I pay like $1400 for a 1BR. When certain criteria are met, the landlords can "reset" the base rent. Right now "base rent" for my same apt is $1700. And no one is building anything new so it's just staying this way for the forseeable future.

P.S. I lived in Asheville for a while, went to Warren Wilson for undergrad and hung around after. I miss Harvest Records :(
Harvest is truly a special shop. Strikes a perfect balance in what they stock, very fair prices, and no one is ever made to feel intimidated or one upped by what's sadly become the stereotypical record clerk experience in a lot of shops. They are wonderful folks, and it is a great place to be. I don't take it for granted!

I'm a native New Yorker, lived a combined 23 years of my life there, hence my curiosity on rent control. My last apartment there, I lived in a rent stabilized unit in what's become a very desirable neighborhood - it would be considered a steal now, but the reality is that often, and certainly in my case, you get what you pay for. The landlord only did the minimum of what was required to stay legally compliant, and sometimes not even that. I was on the phone with 311 more often than I should have been, and it's honestly a pretty exhausting way to live. It seems to me that today's NYC real estate often falls into one of those two categories - either a controlled or stabilized unit where the landlord hopes it collapses so they can collect insurance, or new development with no price restriction, built in a hurry, priced to the nines.

The pandemic changed my course, as it did for so many, and I found myself in lovely WNC. Honestly just starting to feel like I have a good grasp on the lay of the land! Grateful to be here. It blew up like so many small cities did, as you know.

Back