Online Vinyl Deals

In a zoom call from home recently o was asked of that was a CD player behind me and I said, "yah man, that's a 5 disc changer."
I got a 5 disc Sony SACD player for about $20 a few months back. Haven’t found myself using it much over streaming but just put it in my office for now to see if I start using it more

but my turntable doesn’t play CDs 😬

I did just hook up my CD player again though…might have to go that route with these vinyl prices…
I've been wanting the dino jr deluxe reissues, but at 40-45 bones each, for some records i already have on CD and can stream anytime, AND are getting a CD box set issued this month, the prospect just gets more ehhhhhhhhh every time i look at it

I've actually moved more into SACD and SHM-CD lately.

Some of these albums in 5.1 make me think my LPs are just collectibles now
Don’t think I’d do 5.1 anytime soon. My main setup is only 2.0. Not sure what it is but I just prefer streaming high res to listening to CDs and vinyl over CDs. CDs is this strange middle ground for me. Probably because I’m really happy with how my high res streaming set up sounds. And having a redacted account helps since I can grab specific CD rips if I want.

Don’t think I’d do 5.1 anytime soon. My main setup is only 2.0. Not sure what it is but I just prefer streaming high res to listening to CDs and vinyl over CDs. CDs is this strange middle ground for me. Probably because I’m really happy with how my high res streaming set up sounds. And having a redacted account helps since I can grab specific CD rips if I want.

The Downward Spiral, Rumours, Yoshimi and The White Album in 5.1 changed my life in ways I can only to compare to the way people describe their life before psychedelic drugs or religion

In my experience, titles with legit, dedicated 5.1 remixes where an engineer mixed the tracks specifically for 5.1 (e.g., Steven Wilson for the King Crimson albums; J Guthrie for Pink Floyd) can be amazing. The 5.1 of DSotM and KC’s Larks Tongues in Aspic and Discipline albums are in that “amazing” category. I’ve loved all 3 albums for a long time, but the 5.1 mixes were transformative for me. The Bitches Brew 5.1 (Japan SACD) is also pretty cool and not obscenely expensive if you lump it in with a larger purchase from Japan.

Anything short of a dedicated 5.1 remix isn’t much different than playing the stereo source through a receiver w/ a simulated “surround” playback option. That also can be interesting but not quite the same. Indeed, that’s how I feel about Apple’s Atmos mixes. Interesting, sometimes better, but sometimes much worse bc it takes all the punch out of some recordings.

Back