Online Vinyl Deals

One of those early Midwestern emo bands (before that genre became all commercialized and became a Hot Topic meme) that slowly evolved into a more experiential indie band. I don't know how to classify their sound, but it has heavy influences from early emo (e.g., Sunny Day Real Estate), shoe-gaze (i.e., whole wall of guitar sounds, buried lyrics, etc.), and then post-rock with the build-ups/crescendos. When I was seeing them in Madison, WI in the early 2000's their album Low Level Owl Vol 1 and 2 just came out, and it was experimental and a breath of fresh air. Think Pitchfork gave it a 9.0 (if that matters). Their drummer at the time had an intriguing off-kilter approach (you can hear it in Steps and Numbers below). Their sound now is much more polished, and I especially enjoy their instrumental "post-rock" songs. It was the layered guitars and drumming that drew me in.

Oh, I was kidding, lol. I don't remember who tossed them on my radar a little while back, but I've been listening to them for a while now and diggin' it :)

White Denim is having a 70% off everything sale. LPs for $7. Put a few in my cart and went to checkout and got a $40 quote for shipping....from the UK. Seems strange for a US band to have their distribution from the UK, but might be worth it for some of you across the pond!

One of those early Midwestern emo bands (before that genre became all commercialized and became a Hot Topic meme) that slowly evolved into a more experiential indie band. I don't know how to classify their sound, but it has heavy influences from early emo (e.g., Sunny Day Real Estate), shoe-gaze (i.e., whole wall of guitar sounds, buried lyrics, etc.), and then post-rock with the build-ups/crescendos. When I was seeing them in Madison, WI in the early 2000's their album Low Level Owl Vol 1 and 2 just came out, and it was experimental and a breath of fresh air. Think Pitchfork gave it a 9.0 (if that matters). Their drummer at the time had an intriguing off-kilter approach (you can hear it in Steps and Numbers below). Their sound now is much more polished, and I especially enjoy their instrumental "post-rock" songs. It was the layered guitars and drumming that drew me in.

Edit: I have great difficulty describing music, if I can accurately describe it at all.

One of the times I saw them they played those two albums in full back to back. They took a break in the middle and came down to have a beer and do shots with us in the front row. It was a great double set. I wish I could have taped it.

Oh, I was kidding, lol. I don't remember who tossed them on my radar a little while back, but I've been listening to them for a while now and diggin' it :)
Yeah, @zdkaiser musta missed the knowing wink emoticon. The good news is he provided a nice primer for those not familiar.

Yeah, @zdkaiser musta missed the knowing wink emoticon. The good news is he provided a nice primer for those not familiar.
The wink was him telling me that he wanted to talk about The Appleseed Cast. ;)

Great band. Everyone should go out and buy all their albums. And then listen to them really loudly and play the air drums.

i'd actually put the Appleseed Cast-adjacent Müscle Wörship over AC as the better band from Lawrence. their self-titled is just ridiculously satisfying and shockingly catchy for a math rock band

i'd put Vitreous Humor at the top of the Lawrence list, though they arguably originate from Topeka...

No Lawrence Love for Mates of State?
This thread is warming my Kansas heart.

Lawrence has so many great bands that haven’t been mentioned. The Minus Story, Fourth of July, Drakkar Sauna, Ghosty, Your Friend.

Back