October 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: Let's Get Lexical, Lexical

Day 5 - Desiderium

Wayne Shorter - The All Seeing Eye
20211006_221152.jpg

A jazz telling of the creation story, it is the almost English major in me (3 classes short, if I hadn't been a double major already) that connects the creation story to Paradise Lost and a sort of overarching longing for a world more innocent and pure.

7. Dragoon - (v.) to coerce someone into doing something

Erykah Badu - But You Caint Use My Phone

🎶I can make you put your phone down🎵

I got to see Badu live a month or so ago, and when she sang this it was ironic that pretty much everybody took out their phones for taking a video LOL. Erykah did not dragoon everybody that night. BUT the late night curfew of the city did dragoon the whole show by literally cutting off her mic and turning on the lights at 11:04 pm!

PXL_20210629_211352177.jpg

4. Maunder - (v.) to talk in a rambling manner

Discogs picked the from the random button - I'm using it because of the track Ramble On Rose - while I don't think it's a song that mean Rose talks in a rambling manner, I'm using it anyway to catch up.

One could also say sometimes Jam Bands like this tend to ramble on in their performances....for a bit too long.

The Grateful Dead – What A Long Strange Trip It's Been: The Best Of The Grateful Dead
Warner Bros. Records – 2W 3091, 1977

Pressed at Monarch

qsSKbo.jpg

oqjAIL.jpg

Day 07. Dragoon - (v.) to coerce someone into doing something

N&G AoTM 2019 - Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee. Coerced ? Well maybe more convinced, but either way I’d not have bought this without some persuasion from a N&G thread leader.9B9031B4-CFEB-4DEC-AE88-1905D93AD385.jpeg

I know it's late, I know you're weary
And I know your plans don't include me
Still here we are, both of us lonely
Longing for shelter from all that we see
Why should we worry, no one will care, girl
Look at the stars now so far away
We've got tonight
Who needs tomorrow?
We've got tonight, babe
Why don't you stay?

R-10409181-1496858929-8021.jpeg.jpg
Stole the picture off discogs cause I'm streaming this instead of going in the other room to spin it. Laziness for the win!

Edit: I gotta admit, I bought this album for my wife cause she grew up listening to Seger with her mom, but I spin this a lot. He really did pump out the hits.

Last edited:
5. Desiderium - (n.) an ardent desire or longing, especially a feeling of grief for something lost

Playing this for the track "The Hollow" - which is about how sexual desire consumes us.

P7ERy7.jpg

A Perfect Circle – Mer De Noms
Virgin – 7243 8 49253 1 4, 2000/2008

Cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol Mastering
Pressed at Rainbo

t2CDl6.jpg

c6X21Z.jpg

6. Chthonic - (adj.) concerning, belonging to, or inhabiting the underworld

I'd say this is pretty self-explanatory.

Heaven & Hell ‎– The Devil You Know
Rhino Records ‎– R1 519252, 2009

Cut by Ron McMaster
Pressed at RTI

APGwCk.jpg

L2a9pm.jpg

The track "The Greater Good" is about the coercion of people to believe and follow the new government for The Greater Good.

Screenshot 2021-10-08 044359.JPG

Nine Inch Nails ‎– Year Zero
Interscope Records ‎– B0008764-01, 2007

xXfYBS.jpg

2E4Vtv.jpg

o85WA1.jpg

Back