NYClub

I have at least 3 packages lost 'in transit' from the NJ sorting facility to Brooklyn in the last month. One of them has been in transit from NJ since May 3rd. Filed missing mail requests, which got no response. Anyone else.

I have at least 3 packages lost 'in transit' from the NJ sorting facility to Brooklyn in the last month. One of them has been in transit from NJ since May 3rd. Filed missing mail requests, which got no response. Anyone else.
I’ve had massive delays, all through jersey city. Seems like one of the hardest hit hubs. I have gotten everything I’ve ordered so far. Some took over 3 weeks from media mail though. Hoping you eventually receive them.

I’ve had massive delays, all through jersey city. Seems like one of the hardest hit hubs. I have gotten everything I’ve ordered so far. Some took over 3 weeks from media mail though. Hoping you eventually receive them.
Same. Maybe not massive, but Erroll Garner sat in Jersey City for like a week, then oddly went to Springfield, MA before going to Newburgh, NY (I'm quarantining in the Catskills).

Same. Maybe not massive, but Erroll Garner sat in Jersey City for like a week, then oddly went to Springfield, MA before going to Newburgh, NY (I'm quarantining in the Catskills).
I had a discogs purchase take 3.5 weeks from shipping to arrive. My VMP box for April took over 3 weeks to arrive after it was shipped too. The package kept getting to jersey city and then sent back out all over the US (went SC to NJ to AZ to TX to NJ to NY and then got to Brooklyn 3 days later).

I had a discogs purchase take 3.5 weeks from shipping to arrive. My VMP box for April took over 3 weeks to arrive after it was shipped too. The package kept getting to jersey city and then sent back out all over the US (went SC to NJ to AZ to TX to NJ to NY and then got to Brooklyn 3 days later).
Try not to think so much about
The truly staggering amount of oil that it takes to make a record
All the shipping, the vinyl, the cellophane lining...

I think I'm going to try a new store this year for RSD drop #1.

Considering my local (HiFi Records) is the only record store for miles: it gets a long line, its a pretty tiny store, and they rarely have what I want by the time I get to the front. The obvious solution would be to get there even EARLIER, but I have never wanted something that required waiting in line more than an hour before the store opened.

Has anyone had a particularly good experience anywhere? I assume Rough Trade and Turntable Lab are probably the good bets for stock due the volume they probably pull, but also long ass lines.

Considering my local (HiFi Records) is the only record store for miles: it gets a long line, its a pretty tiny store, and they rarely have what I want by the time I get to the front. The obvious solution would be to get there even EARLIER, but I have never wanted something that required waiting in line more than an hour before the store opened.

Has anyone had a particularly good experience anywhere? I assume Rough Trade and Turntable Lab are probably the good bets for stock due the volume they probably pull, but also long ass lines.
Rough Trade is insane for RSD. I don’t know what their system will be this year (you can probably call them to find out)...But in years past, people have lined up at 5AM and earlier for an 8AM or so opening. They do get an insane amount of stock though. To be honest, I just end up buying most RSD stuff online through Plaidroom and other places. When I went in person to Astoria HiFi or Academy or any number of other smaller shops in NYC, I almost never got what I wanted.

Rough Trade is insane for RSD. I don’t know what their system will be this year (you can probably call them to find out)...But in years past, people have lined up at 5AM and earlier for an 8AM or so opening. They do get an insane amount of stock though. To be honest, I just end up buying most RSD stuff online through Plaidroom and other places. When I went in person to Astoria HiFi or Academy or any number of other smaller shops in NYC, I almost never got what I wanted.

I will probably do online from Plaidroom as well. I think Terry said something about stuff going online at 1:00 pm this year and I really only want that Kelly Finnigan from this drop.

Yeah I saw that - considering that's pretty much what HiFi does every year I can't imagine what it's like normally at RT..must be insane as Mike said. I saw Cactus Records in Houston is releasing tickets for time slots online this week. Probably too much to ask for in NYC.

Well I guess Turntable Lab isn't reopening their storefront. Online only for the near future.
Bummer but I think it makes sense sadly. Can't imagine how much their rent was. It sucks, but for stores like them, I think they sell more new stuff than used and with their exclusive series, they can at least make profit that way. A lot of these stores need to cut their overhead and landlords in NYC have been kind of brutal when it comes to renegotiating leases. They all still want more money despite being in a pandemic.

Wanted to shout out 2 of my favorite stores in the area

Blue Sun mostly carries used records, but I've never seen anything in horrible condition there, at least in the actual bins. The genres they carry are mostly Jazz / Blues / Soul / Old School Hip Hop / House / Prog Rock. A great sampling trove, and the peeps who work there are super chill and usually down to chat about music. They also sell Kuumba incense and cool merch which is cool

2 Bridges carries the weirdest shit I've ever seen in a record store, it feels like digging through bins in another country or planet. Very leftfield and electronicy shit. Sign up for their newsletter to catch the vibe, or just go there its in Chinatown under the Manhattan bridge.

This is super late but I went to Rough Trade for the first RSD this year and the line moved relatively quick for how long it was.

They sold out of some stuff I wanted, namely the Sun Ra Egypt box set (which I picked up from FatBeats) but they had tons of stock! It was a very mechanical process though, and you couldn't browse around the store while you were there which took away the fun of it tbh.

Wanted to shout out 2 of my favorite stores in the area

Blue Sun mostly carries used records, but I've never seen anything in horrible condition there, at least in the actual bins. The genres they carry are mostly Jazz / Blues / Soul / Old School Hip Hop / House / Prog Rock. A great sampling trove, and the peeps who work there are super chill and usually down to chat about music. They also sell Kuumba incense and cool merch which is cool

2 Bridges carries the weirdest shit I've ever seen in a record store, it feels like digging through bins in another country or planet. Very leftfield and electronicy shit. Sign up for their newsletter to catch the vibe, or just go there its in Chinatown under the Manhattan bridge.
Ooh I gotta check out Blue Sun. Never heard of it! And it’s a trek but walkable from my apartment.

Ooh I gotta check out Blue Sun. Never heard of it! And it’s a trek but walkable from my apartment.

It's a really dope little shop, mostly used records in really nice condition (the record itself at least), but they have some labels like Awesome Tapes From Africa and Numero Group too. I'm going to be bringing a bin of 12"s and LPs that i've been culling out of my collection over there some Sunday soon :D

What shops do you like in the area?

It's a really dope little shop, mostly used records in really nice condition (the record itself at least), but they have some labels like Awesome Tapes From Africa and Numero Group too. I'm going to be bringing a bin of 12"s and LPs that i've been culling out of my collection over there some Sunday soon :D

What shops do you like in the area?
Academy on Oak is my go-to as I live about 3 blocks from there. Record Grouch is near me too. Face Records is pretty awesome--tons of japanese presses but I have only been there once. There are so many good record shops--some way more expensive than others.

Back