November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

I've fallen behind but am gonna get back on the game...

Sunday November 20
9:00 PM ㊺ AMC Mad Men

Bought an OG after years and years of band infighting roadblocking new pressings. Of course, it was announced a few weeks later this was getting repressed.

C'est la vie...

The Verve - A Northern Soul

20200911_004932.jpg

8:00 PM ⓭ FOX Arrested Development - There's always money in the banana stand
AND
8:30 PM ⓭ FOX Malcom In The Middle - You're not the boss of me...
PXL_20221129_150927403.jpg

Vampire Weekend "Contra" - featuring the song Cousins... They also strike me as a band that would want to be part of that tight-ass country club ya freak bitch..
AND
We Are Scientists "With Love and Squalor" - came out right in the middle of the 2000's.... I'll see myself out...

Tuesday November 29

8:30 PM ⓭ FOX Malcom In The Middle
Spoiler: Channel 13

Play an album from the 2000s OR features a Child Prodigy OR features They Might Be Giants

My pick for today does not meet any of the qualifications. However, it does feature the song that Hal used as his college / pirate radio persona, Kid Charlemagne.

Steely Dan ~ The Royal Scam

1669740558828.png

Tuesday November 29
8:00 PM ⓭ FOX Arrested Development
Play an album that relates to Arrested Development (Bananas, Prison, Magic, Boats, Cousins, War, Seals, Korea, Liza Minelli, missing body parts, little Britian, etc, etc, etc.)

This one has My Cousin Greg on it, and a fine record all around!

Houndmouth - Little Neon Limelight

FBFF520E-1F01-499F-910D-4054F3AECB6D.jpeg

Tuesday November 29
Play an album that relates to Arrested Development (Bananas, Prison, Magic, Boats, Cousins, War, Seals, Korea, Liza Minelli, missing body parts, little Britian, etc, etc, etc.).

The Velvet Underground & Nico "The Velvet Underground & Nico" (1967 Verve; 2017 reissue)
Kind of on the nose, but the Banana Flambé on Arrested Development is iconic.

IMG_3247.JPG

Tuesday November 29
Play an album from the 2000s OR features a Child Prodigy OR features They Might Be Giants.

Janet Jackson "Velvet Rope" (1997 Virgin; 2019 reissue)
Like all Jacksons, Janet was a child star first, appearing on television during the 1970's, before hitting it big during the 1980's as a musician.

And serendipitously, this ended up being a "double velvet" play for me today.

IMG_3248.JPG

Monday November 28
12:30 AM ④ PUBLIC ACCESS Squirt TV
Beat Happening - Jamboree
41EB8787-DF3F-49C0-925A-C387D89CDDA3.jpeg
I love Lo-Fi music it highlights that all you really need to make enjoyable tunes is a bit of songcraft and a will to make music. Beat Happening could barely play their instruments but that didn’t stop them from touring the world and delighting their many fans along the way.

7:58 AM ㉘ TWC Your Local Weather
Waxahatchee - Out In The Storm
69C0C7D5-7E76-40C1-B9A5-E47791F80294.jpeg
This is probably my least favorite Waxahatchee record but it’s still really effing good.

Tuesday November 29
Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas
8CF2BF5A-420D-4792-A0B8-CBA24534C667.jpeg

Arrested Development might be a perfect comedy. It’s surface level funny but like other all time greats there a multiple levels meta references and call backs to early jokes that just add to the show while rewarding watching episodes. “Christmas Time Is Here” reoccurring gag is one of my faves and ‘‘tis the season!

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
EADE2575-AF59-4DB6-B2C6-C74DCE0D9B3C.jpeg
Bryan Cranston is the MVP of my TV challenge, dude starred on Both Malcolm In The Middle and Breaking Bad, He hosted SNL, we was always a very funny guest on Letterman and Conan, he played reoccurring Dentist Tim Whatley on Seinfeld, he did voice work for The Simpsons and even Directed an episode of The Office where he almost inadvertently killed the entire cast.

Lil Wayne was a member of the The Hot Boys as a 14 year old kid. He didn’t release this album until the ripe old age of 25 in 2008.

Tuesday November 29
Play an album from the 2000s OR features a Child Prodigy OR features They Might Be Giants

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

IMG_8289.jpg

Love them or hate them (I'm in the "Love" camp) Coldplay was a huge force in the early 2000's. This is my favorite Coldplay album, more so for the album tracks than the singles. Though I got to admit, the keyboard intro to Clocks is pretty ace.

Tuesday November 29
Play an album that relates to Arrested Development (Bananas, Prison, Magic, Boats, Cousins, War, Seals, Korea, Liza Minelli, missing body parts, little Britian, etc, etc, etc.).

The Velvet Underground & Nico "The Velvet Underground & Nico" (1967 Verve; 2017 reissue)
Kind of on the nose, but the Banana Flambé on Arrested Development is iconic.

View attachment 159398
Funny timing, as I scrolled through and told my wife what today's prompt is she said 'don't you have an album with banana on the cover?' right as I scrolled by your post. Yeah, that one. Scooped!

Back