November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Wednesday November 30
4:00 PM ❼ ABC American Bandstand
Play an artist featured on American Bandstand (Bonus points if you include a clip).

Prince "Prince" (1979 Warner; 2016 reissue)
Prince made his big national stage debut on American Bandstand, playing I Wanna Be Your Lover and Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad. The actual performance seems to be absent from the web for copyrights reasons (there's a muted version on YT though). I'm adding a link to the interview portion of the performance.

IMG_3249.JPG

4:00 PM ❼ ABC American Bandstand - it's like the $25,000 pyramid with dancing..
AND
4:00 PM ❾ WGN Soul Train - Peace, Love and Soul
View attachment 159479

Buddy Holly and The Crickets "The Buddy Holly Story" - look he's on the list and I have a clip marked American Bandstand so I'm going with it! It's the end of the month cut me some slack!!! I had to use one of my wife's records for this...ok I actually really like Buddy Holly might have a lot to do with having parents of a certain age that never gave up control of the radio on long car trips and having a "golden oldies" station... That's now sports talk radio...

AND
Curtis Mayfield "Roots" - the best!!! This is a really interesting back to back but I love it coming and going!! This has been an awesome month, I can't believe I made it to the end!!

The first one was too good not to share!

Thanks to @TenderLovingKiller® for all the TV memories and everyone that spun music this month, this place is just a wonderful community where every day you can find your new favorite band and you don't even need to look that hard!! Bring on December!!

Thanks for participating. I appreciate your contributions. You really killed it!

Wednesday November 30
4:00 PM ❾ WGN Soul Train
Play an artist featured on Soul Train (Bonus points if you include a clip).

There really wasn't another album I could choose for today. Was never an American Bandstand watcher, but I sure loved watching Soul Train - in another life I would have wanted to be one of the Pips. I don't think they ever performed Midnight Train to Georgia (which is on this comp) on Soul Train, so going with another one of their performances instead.

1669829790855.png

Absolutely fantastic month @TenderLovingKiller® !

Various Artists ~ Soul Train Super Tracks

1669829630703.png

Wednesday November 30
Little Richard - Here’s Little Richard
E88D7AA1-6B82-4618-8B0A-7C0CF6BF959D.jpeg
It’s wild that shows like American Bandstand had been on TV for so long. Very few shows were dedicated the Popular Music of youth culture for 37 years.

Stevie Wonder - Innervision
C15D3A45-4737-4534-BEA5-70DAFD8CF989.jpeg
Soul Train was a black-centric take on American Bandstand’s basic premise though beyond being a home for black artists it also added an element of amazing dance moves to the mix, there was dancing on AB but it couldn’t hold a candle to the Soul Train Line.

Wednesday November 30
Play an artist featured on Soul Train (Bonus points if you include a clip).

There really wasn't another album I could choose for today. Was never an American Bandstand watcher, but I sure loved watching Soul Train - in another life I would have wanted to be one of the Pips. I don't think they ever performed Midnight Train to Georgia (which is on this comp) on Soul Train, so going with another one of their performances instead.

View attachment 159565

Absolutely fantastic month @TenderLovingKiller® !

Various Artists ~ Soul Train Super Tracks

View attachment 159564

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. Happy you were able to play along Ocean’

Wednesday November 30
Play an artist featured on American Bandstand (Bonus points if you include a clip).

Prince made his big national stage debut on American Bandstand, playing I Wanna Be Your Lover and Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad. The actual performance seems to be absent from the web for copyrights reasons (there's a muted version on YT though). I'm adding a link to the interview portion of the performance.

View attachment 159546

I now have this video bookmarked for every time I get swiped lol

Wednesday November 30

View attachment 159546

Not sure if it’s available in Canada, but I found a copy of Prince’s performance here in the States…

Back