November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

9:00 PM ㊺ AMC Mad Men
Kid Koala – 12 Bit Blues
20221120_095601.jpg

Technically it cost my wife a pretty penny, but this was the most either of us has paid for a single record for me (although there are a couple of Sun Ra albums I've been eyeing up that would surpass this!)

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

10:00 PM ㊺ AMC Breaking Bad
Soccer96 – Dopamine
20221120_095715.jpg

Meth does spike the ol' dopamine. AND the record is blue!

20221120_100932.jpg

9:00 PM ㊺ AMC Mad Men - you paid what?
AND
10:00 PM ㊺ AMC Breaking Bad - Those damn blue collared tweakers are running this damn town

PXL_20221120_192430954.jpg

KMD "Mr. Hood" - I'm not really one for spending a lot on a single record, I always hesitate and just think that I could buy one record or several with that money... maybe the right one hasn't come along yet... This record was more expensive than I like to spend, rap records around these parts tend to cost a lot more than others and add in Record Store Day and the price seems too damn high!! I love this record so I said fuck it!
AND
Animal Collective "Sung Tongs" - these guys are yelping weirdos that when I first heard them I didn't get and thought they were on something, why not meth...

Sunday November 20
Play a “Tweaking” album, bonus points if its on blue wax

Lorde - Melodrama

AC0C6C2E-D0F2-448D-8429-1710039AA21D.jpeg
The first time I heard the opening track Green Light and the keyboards kicked in I threw my head and body around like a tweaking fool.

The album also happens to be a beautiful shade of blue.

5EE5DEBC-D006-4DCB-ABD0-1E9167E6D628.jpeg

Thursday November 17
8:00 PM ❺ NBC Cheers
Play an album by an artist that records under an assumed name. (Bonus points if they’re from Boston)

The Reverend Horton Heat - Smoke 'em if You Got 'em

429E914E-E1DA-4A7B-8812-34452B05FB86.jpeg
8:30 PM ❺ NBC Night Court
Play a debauched album that might soundtrack a night that would lead to ya getting put in front of the Honorable Harry Anderson

Debauchery?

The Chats - Get Fucked

5A9F7FBC-F578-4A21-8B57-DCDA9D8DA288.jpeg

Sunday November 20

Mad Men Creator and Showrunner, Matthew Weiner had AMC fork over $250K to have “Tomorrow Never Knows” featured in the above scene. Play an album that cost you a pretty penny

There was a period there that I couldn't find a reasonably priced copy of this, so I (knowingly) overpaid for what ended up being a pretty undynamic copy. New mixes and pressings have been released since I bought this, but here it is...

1668987076842.png

"Only philosophers embark on this perilous expedition to the outermost reaches of language and existence. Some of them fall off, but others cling on desperately and yell at the people nestling deep in the snug softness, stuffing themselves with delicious food and drink. 'Ladies and Gentlemen,' they yell, 'we are floating in space!' But none of the people down there care." - Jostein Gaardner

1668986173679.png

Saturday November 19
11:00 PM ㊿ HBO Tales From The Crypt

It's quite faint to begin with, next to impossible to photograph and in a position that's obstructed by the OBI, but this cover features a distorted skull tattoo.

If you have doubts, Lou signed off on it. Literally...

The Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat

20191018_013643.jpg

Last edited:
7:00 PM ❺ NBC My Two Dads - just the two of us
AND
7:30 PM ❻ CBS Newhart - on holiday

PXL_20221121_124753558.jpg

Wolf Parade "Apologies to The Queen Mary" - Spencer and Dan doing their thing! One of my favorite albums of all time, never need an excuse to spin this one!
AND
The Mountain Goats "Tallahassee" - if you're going to go on vacation you need to do it right and you can leave it to John Darnielle to show you how to "See America Right"... maybe you shouldn't let John plan your vacation...

Saturday November 19
10:35 PM ❺ NBC Saturday Night Live
IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!
Play an artist featured/hosted:parodied on the venerable late night institution.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

EEBD6A24-EB31-4F46-A71A-EF13909C6736.jpeg

This sketch was weird. Jay-Z and Beyoncé have people over to meet their new baby, one of the guests being Bon Iver (played by Justin Timberlake)? Okay.

Sunday November 20
Play an album that cost you a pretty penny

I bought this this past summer. More than I've spent on a single (non-box set) LP release. I just don't think a complete reissue is going to happen any time soon, , but I was worried they would announce a reissue right after I bought it. It was $140 on ebay, more expensive than a few copies on Discogs, but looked to be in better condition than those listed. I also don't mess with bidding...so some do go for lower, but I only use Buy It Now.

I wasn't disappointed in the purchase.

Various – The Shining (Original Sound Track)
Warner Bros. Records – HS 3449, 1980

Pressed at Wakefield Manufacturing

bf7a6d.jpg

2P4bPo.jpg

I can't think of anything but this.

Badfinger – Straight Up
Apple Records – 1 C 062-93 234, 1972

German pressing
Pressed at Carl Lindström GmbH

U36w71.jpg

aeYtkr.jpg

Sunday November 20
Play an album that cost you a pretty penny

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Fear

09623897-AE7F-42CA-9A7E-265D16C8384F.jpeg

I’ve always felt that I’ve been good at resisting to pay so much for a single non-deluxe record, usually figuring they’ll repress it eventually. Well they finally repressed this one and offered it for about $75 shipped, breaking my previous record (a nice 1980s pressing of Velvet Underground and Nico).

“Lots of pops,” says my daughter shortly after putting this one on…

Last edited:
Back