November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Saturday November 19th
11:00 PM ㊿ HBO Tales From The Crypt

Black Market Brass "Undying Thirst" - More funky than spooky but look at that big old skull on the cover!!! This record always puts me in a good mood...
I didn’t think I’d immediately get scooped with this album lol.

Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks

34044DA3-2F26-43B0-B599-0D5166B62779.jpeg

A 2016 RSDBF reissue with alternate artwork for some reason. The vinyl itself doesn’t sound great either…

Saturday November 19
10:35 PM ❺ NBC Saturday Night Live

IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!
Play an artist featured/hosted:parodied on the venerable late night institution.

The Cryptkeeper was spooky fun, play a record that features skulls or skeleton

It's late, I'm going for another two-fer.

1668931996198.png

Wednesday November 16
4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R)
Play some groovy far out tunes that would make Johnny Bravo proud

Bay City Rollers - Dedication

8480B6C4-2037-47C0-BE16-671E3660076C.jpeg

A whole band of Johnny Bravos. Side note: these challenges have now made me play this TWICE. That’s more than I’ve played so many of my other, much better records

Sunday November 20
9:00 PM ㊺ AMC Mad Men
Mad Men Creator and Showrunner, Matthew Weiner had AMC fork over $250K to have “Tomorrow Never Knows” featured in the above scene. Play an album that cost you a pretty penny.

The Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" (1971 Rolling Stones Records; 1979 Japanese reissue with zipper cover)
I paid a little over 100 US for a VG+ copy of this pressing, which frankly plays mintier than what most sellers on Discogs call NM. I really love this pressing. Great clarity without sacrifice to the raw nature of the recording. It rocks hard, which is all you can really ask for with Sticky Fingers. The ESS series Rolling Stones albums haven't failed me yet.

IMG_3206.JPG

Thursday November 17
8:30 PM ❺ NBC Night Court
Play a debauched album that might soundtrack a night that would lead to ya getting put in front of the Honorable Harry Anderson

Mark Lanegan - Whiskey For The Holy Ghost

E0C222D1-B9D5-46D4-B072-B2AE187231A5.jpeg

Album cover depicts the start of a debaucherous night

Thursday November 17
8:30 PM ❺ NBC Night Court
Play a debauched album that might soundtrack a night that would lead to ya getting put in front of the Honorable Harry Anderson

Mark Lanegan - Whiskey For The Holy Ghost

View attachment 158035

Album cover depicts the start of a debaucherous night
I read that book, and damn it was depressing. He could be a real piece of work.

Sunday November 20
Mad Men - Tomorrow Never Knows
Mad Men Creator and Showrunner, Matthew Weiner had AMC fork over $250K to have “Tomorrow Never Knows” featured in the above scene. Play an album that cost you a pretty penny

Today's prompt features two of my all time favorite shows, so I'll go with an all time favorite album that I indeed paid a pretty penny for.

IMG_2733.JPG

Sunday November 20
Mad Men - Tomorrow Never Knows
Mad Men Creator and Showrunner, Matthew Weiner had AMC fork over $250K to have “Tomorrow Never Knows” featured in the above scene. Play an album that cost you a pretty penny

Today's prompt features two of my all time favorite shows, so I'll go with an all time favorite album that I indeed paid a pretty penny for.

View attachment 158044
Nice! Is this a OG? I have a mid 2000s Dutch reissue that I purchased used back in 2009 for like $20. It gets the job done but I wish they would do a top notch reissue it deserves.

Wednesday November 16
4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R)
Play some groovy far out tunes that would make Johnny Bravo proud

Groovy and far out?

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Omnium Gatherium

3C859126-304B-4252-82EB-6BC26CAA9538.jpeg

5:05 PM ⓯ TBS Happy Days (R)
Play a song that woulda played for The Fonz when he hit the Al’s Diner juke box.

No further questions, thank you

Smash Mouth - Fush You Mang

9341D9EB-C04D-4782-BEA9-EEEFF22613C2.jpeg

Nice! Is this a OG? I have a mid 2000s Dutch reissue that I purchased used back in 2009 for like $20. It gets the job done but I wish they would do a top notch reissue it deserves.
Yep, OG. Sadly, it has a skip at the end of the title track in the fade out. But I love it regardless. And yeah, it really deserves a special reissue. The front and back of his catalog have been repressed...it's time for those middle albums!

Saturday November 19
10:35 PM ❺ NBC Saturday Night Live
Play an artist featured/hosted/parodied on the venerable late night institution.

Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Siamese Dream
Caroline Records ‎– CAROL 1740 1, 1993

Original US pressing - limited orange marbled variant

Cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Rainbo

Bc0J0T.jpg

tSpfhv.jpg

Spoiler: Channel 50
The Cryptkeeper was spooky fun, play a record that features skulls or skeleton

This CD along with the Judgement Night Soundtrack spent a lot of time in my car during my high school days.

Various ‎– Demon Knight (Music From And Inspired By The Motion Picture: Tales From The Crypt Presents Demon Knight)
Real Gone Music/Atlantic ‎– RGM0486, 1994/2017

Limited to 1100 on Neon Green Splatter

Cut by John Golden at Golden Mastering
Pressed at Rainbo

mUsTwS.jpg

sByZ1w.jpg

Sunday November 20
Dinosaur Jr. - You’re Living All Over Me
E1958539-EB2C-4920-9B8B-7C1B92319FED.jpeg

I spend a lot of money on records but I have a tough time paying a lot for a single record, mainly for a newer record the most I would probably pay is $60-$80 but that would be for a best ever pressing of one of my favorite albums. Original Presses or out of print titles are a bit more complicated. If it’s an album I don’t think is likely to be repressed or if the OG was again a favorite I might splurge a bit which was the case with this original SST pressing of Dinosaur Jr.’s (Pre-Jr.) classic. Normally, I would have a hard time paying the $140 that my local had it listed for but since I was there trading in 100 albums, it essentially cost me nothing (at least that is what I tell myself to justify the cost).

10:00 PM ㊺ AMC Breaking Bad
Royal Trux - Cats and Dogs
BBD115BA-3851-4786-89A9-A24445569991.jpeg
The Trux felt like they were more into Smack/Crack than Meth but I bet they wouldn’t pass up some of Heisenberg’s finest blue Crystal either. Junky Rock made by junkies for junkies.

Sunday November 20
10:00 PM ㊺ AMC Breaking Bad
Play a “Tweaking” album, bonus points if its on blue wax.

Blue Vinyl? Check. First track (which takes up the full first side) named Blue? Check. Live shows are /extended Psychedelic / Metal Jams with 60's liquid light show projection? Definitely some tweakers in attendance.

Seeing these guys tour with Kikagaku Moyo a few years ago was a dream billing.

Earthless ~ Live at Roadburn

1668967764133.png

Back