November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R) - groovy
AND
5:05 PM ⓯ TBS Happy Days (R) - Aaaay

PXL_20221116_181158496.jpg

Trap Door - This might be too groovy for Johnny Bravo, a heavy psychedelic mix that might send him out of this world... speaking of which
AND
The Invaders "Spacing Out" - The Fonz done hit the jukebox so hard an alien fell from space and landed in Milwaukee!! He even brought his own theme music!!! Arnold's got funky that evening!! NANU NANU to all y'all!!

4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R)
Ken Nordine – Word Jazz Vol. II
20221116_101216.jpg

This "word jazz" thing is pretty groovy and far out, man!

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

5:05 PM ⓯ TBS Happy Days (R)
The Cosmic Rays with Sun Ra & The Arkestra – Dreaming / Daddy's Gonna Tell You No Lie
20221116_101402.jpg

Some hip midwest doo wap sounds for a hip midwest sitcom town.

4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R) - groovy
AND
5:05 PM ⓯ TBS Happy Days (R) - Aaaay

View attachment 157561

Trap Door - This might be too groovy for Johnny Bravo, a heavy psychedelic mix that might send him out of this world... speaking of which
AND
The Invaders "Spacing Out" - The Fonz done hit the jukebox so hard an alien fell from space and landed in Milwaukee!! He even brought his own theme music!!! Arnold's got funky that evening!! NANU NANU to all y'all!!

Oh shit, you have Trap Door on vinyl! Love that mix!

Wednesday November 16

The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.
6CADB44A-AA3B-489E-A2CC-39536DDA582D.jpeg

TBS “The SuperStation” was a favorite for before and after school during the week. In the mornings you had reruns of Saved By The Bell followed by some classic rerun staples of Gilligan’s Island,The Brady Bunch, and Happy Days in the afternoon/ early evening. Even though these shows were from another time they were still mindless fun entertainment. Since Marsha was the President of the Davey Jones Fan Club at her Junior High the Monkees seemed like the perfect pick!

Spoiler: Channel 15
Weezer - The Blue Album
AD6E5C8D-1217-45C2-857E-BE872A900777.jpeg
Who can forget that classic episode when Rivers and the gang played during the dance contest at Al’s.

Wednesday November 16th

Little Richard - Little Richard

FF557E6A-D67C-47D5-B5A4-0FC96E3F72A3.jpeg

There are a number of iconic singles on this album (“Keep a Knockin’”, “Good Golly, Miss Molly”, “Lucille”, “The Girl Can’t Help It”) that would’ve hopefully been in rotation on that jukebox at the time! or at least the Pat Boone covers would be

Wednesday November 16

Play some groovy far out tunes that would make Johnny Bravo proud

1668671110918.png

Mr. Johnny Bravo himself performing "Pinball Wizard" at 1:40

Play a song that woulda played for The Fonz when he hit the Al’s Diner juke box.

It has its own stand.

1668671213818.png
1668671381759.png

8:00 PM ❺ NBC Cheers - NORM!!!
AND
8:30 PM ❺ NBC Night Court - Which one of you is going to play that Hellraiser Mel Tormé?

PXL_20221117_124206533.jpg

EL-P "Fantastic Damage" - not from Boston, not his real name but I love this record so I thought I'd spin it! It does feature Boston born rapper Mr. Lif, which is not his real name....So happy this was reissued so I can stop kicking myself for not picking it up when it came out...
AND
Titus Andronicus "The Airing of Grievances" - This has a real drunk bar band feel to it, it's something you throw on before a night out, really kick it off, somehow see or hear them at every bar and then inevitably end up in Night Court! I mean if you're airing grievances things are going to go south real quick!!

8:00 PM ❺ NBC Cheers
Blue Öyster Cult – A Long Day's Night
20221117_100107.jpg

Not from Boston, but the two remaining founding members (or Two Öyster Cult, if you will) are Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma, or Donald Roeser if you're the government. Buck even has his own Boogie, played here (and probably damn near every Cult show ever!)

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

8:30 PM ❺ NBC Night Court
Geoff Berner – We Are Going To Bremen To Be Musicians
20221117_100910.jpg

Not only could some of the contents of this or any Geoff Berner album, really, land one in front of a judge but I have certainly embarked on some shenanigans with Geoff through the years that could've done the same!

Thursday November 17
At Cheers everybody knows your name, even if it’s a stage name/pseudonym. Play an album by an artist that records under an assumed name. (Bonus points if they’re from Boston).

Pixies "Surfer Rosa"(1988 4AD; Late 2010's RKS cut)
Boston band fronted by Black Francis, aka Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV.

IMG_3195.JPG

Thursday November 17
At Cheers everybody knows your name, even if it’s a stage name/pseudonym. Play an album by an artist that records under an assumed name. (Bonus points if they’re from Boston).

Pixies "Surfer Rosa"(1988 4AD; Late 2010's RKS cut)
Boston band fronted by Black Francis, aka Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV.

View attachment 157681
Scooped!

I thought you were surprised because you actually knew Charles Michael Kittredge Thompson IV but didn't realize he changed his name to Black Francis.
Yeah, I knew Frank Black/Black Francis wasn’t his real name didn’t know it was Charles Michael Kittredge Thompson IV until I looked it up on Wikipedia a few minutes ago to include it with my post for today.

Great minds Turbo…

Thursday November 17
At Cheers everybody knows your name, even if it’s a stage name/pseudonym. Play an album by an artist that records under an assumed name. (Bonus points if they’re from Boston)

No bonus points since they are an LA Band, although most of the members were born in Illinois. Both John Nommensen Duchac (John Doe) and Stuart Tyson Kindell (Billy Zoom) are still active members. Plus one of the engineers on the album is NORM! Graichen.

I learned something new today as well, John Doe sang a version of "I Will Always Love You" that appears in The Bodyguard. I bet Cliff Clavin didn't know that.

X ~ Los Angeles

1668719769060.png

Thursday November 17
Buffalo Tom - Birdbrain
F799D2E5-D9BC-47EC-96D3-E9CFD27F9A7A.jpeg
Cheers is my favorite live action sitcom of all time. I remember it being on throughout my childhood and I was in Junior High when it ended it’s run on NBC. The show was a joke machine, one liner after one liner with a near perfect job of casting. Some of the shows funniest were brought in later allowing the show to evolve from the standard bearing will-they-or-won’t-they “Sam & Diane” style romantic comedy to more of a straight ensemble workplace style sitcom without missing a beat. The show was so great that even after the 12 seasons, the producers were able to take Frasier and put together another 11 successful seasons of the spinoffs series that shared the characters name.

Buffalo Tom, a Boston band who lead singer is not named Buffalo Tom but instead Bill. Didn’t have quite the same impact on popular culture that Cheers had but was a part of the lively late 80s/early 90s Boston scene. This album was produced by fellow Bay Stater J Mascis.

8:30 PM ❺ NBC Night Court
Spoon - Kill The Moonlight
8A0D0B93-1346-4A38-9F6F-D4E8136F51F0.jpeg
Time has been kind to Night Court, I think it was always critically adored, especially in its middle seasons when John Larroquette was being regularly nominated for Emmy’s. But eventually the show was abruptly cancelled after 9 seasons many of which bounced around NBCs schedule. I feel like it’s developed a bit of a cult following over the past decade or so. I loved when 30 Rock gave the show the send off that NBC was never able to when it initially aired. I don’t know if either is still in the works but there had recently been talks of a reboot/spin-off of both Frasier and Night Court.

Getting high in the backseats of cars and breaking into Mobile homes is a good way to land you in front of a judge.

Back