November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Monday November 14
We’ll by right back after a quick word from our sponsors…
Spoiler: Commercial Break
Choose an album inspired by one of these fine products.

Didn't see much for those commercials, going with a K-Tel commercial...

Various – Masters Of Metal
K-Tel – NU 4370, 1984

Cut by Phil Austin and Carl Rowatti at Trutone Mastering Labs
Pressed at Allied

Wf2z9O.jpg

jRCOhA.jpg

Monday November 14
Spoiler: Commercial Break

Didn't see much for those commercials, going with a K-Tel commercial...

Various – Masters Of Metal
K-Tel – NU 4370, 1984

Cut by Phil Austin and Carl Rowatti at Trutone Mastering Labs
Pressed at Allied

Wf2z9O.jpg

jRCOhA.jpg

The laser and explosions sound effects in that ad are AMAZING!

Monday November 14

Garcia Peoples "Nightcap At Wit's End" (2020 Beyond Beyond Is Beyond Records)
All of the tracks seems to feature unexplained psychedelic mysteries of some sort, like the Time-Life Mysteries of The Unknown book set.

IMG_3188.JPG

Monday November 14

TIME-LIFE’s Mysteries Of The Unknown
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz
A6C08A8D-7BF1-4941-BF34-C4D7881BD71E.jpeg

Ozzy’s solo debut features the track “Mr. Crowley” about the spooky English occultist/prophet/magician, Aleister Crowley I wouldn’t be surprised if he was included in the Mystery Of The Unknown series somewhere, though I can confirm he wasn’t featured in these three books…
F662F29B-644D-45E5-8FF6-4A9B6CC06E4C.jpeg
…maybe I will find him in later volumes.

Miss Cleo “Call Me Now!”
Thurston Moore - Psychic Hearts
3E75AFA0-3191-40F1-9CE3-C56B624D16F1.jpeg
I’ve always been a skeptic when it comes to psychics and fortune tellers but what do I know. Also, if talking to these people gives someone hope or helps them heal from trauma and they aren’t taking advantage of the desperate then it’s fine by me.

Last edited:
Monday November 14
Living in the 90's

Depeche Mode - Ultra

IMG_8131.jpg

Though often mentioned among the best band of the 80's, I'd put up Depeche Mode's 90's output against anyone (including their own 80's catalog!) Ultra is a fantastic album and features some of my favorite Depeche Mode songs, including It's No Good, Useless, and Home.

Sunday November 13, 2001
10:00 PM ㊿ HBO Band Of Brothers
Play an album by a literal band of brothers

The Proclaimers - Sunshine On Leith

9029F533-1FED-49F5-A4FB-EA675D539017.jpeg

This record is so much more than just a hit single. I used to catch my bus to work in Leith when I lived in Edinburgh and I swear it felt like this album was playing on repeat from every window

Monday November 14th

For a long time, the only thing I knew about Miss Cleo was that she voiced the character Auntie Poulet in the video game “Grand Theft Auto: Vice City”. Didn’t know she was a “psychic” or anything like that.

That game was also where I first heard this song, now one of my favourites of the entire 1980s…

Talk Talk - Life’s What You Make It

869785E5-EB59-41D3-9E5A-C6E06829D758.jpeg

10:00 AM ❸ CBS The Price Is Right - I love The Price is Right, like to this day if I'm home and it's on I'm watching!
AND
11:00 AM ❷ FOX Small Wonder (S) - wait, she's a robot!?!
pxl_20221115_144654762-jpg.157411

The Growlers "City Club" - So I was aware of this band and when I saw this was produced by Julian Casablancas from The Strokes and was on his label I gave it a shot...I dug it but not for $35...a couple of months later I was at what used to be my local going through the stacks and saw this record with not 1 but 2 discount stickers! Walked out with this, left another behind, for about $15 Canadian dollars... according to Discogs it's current median price is a little more than that...I would have passed on the first discount and always think what would happen if I waited a little longer...
AND
Herbie Hancock "Future Shock" - I think I'm still traumatized by the "Rockit" video and it's half robots!

Attachments

• PXL_20221115_144654762.jpg
    PXL_20221115_144654762.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 29
Back