November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

We’ll be right back after a quick word from our sponsors…

Krust featuring Saul Williams – Coded Language (Roni Size Remixes)
20221115_100805.jpg

. . .
Light years are interchangeable with years of living in darkness.
The role of darkness is not to be seen as, or equated with, Ignorance, but
with the
unknown, and the mysteries of the unseen.

Thus, in the name of:
ROBESON, GOD'S SON, HURSTON, AHKENATON, HATHSHEPUT, BLACKFOOT, HELEN,
LENNON, KHALO, KALI, THE THREE MARIAS, TARA, LILITHE, LOURDE, WHITMAN,
BALDWIN, GINSBERG, KAUFMAN, LUMUMBA, GANDHI, GIBRAN, SHABAZZ, SIDDHARTHA,
MEDUSA, GUEVARA, GURDJIEFF, RAND, WRIGHT, BANNEKER, TUBMAN, HAMER, HOLIDAY,
DAVIS, COLTRANE, MORRISON, JOPLIN, DUBOIS, CLARKE, SHAKESPEARE, RACHMNINOV,
ELLINGTON, CARTER, GAYE, HATHOWAY, HENDRIX, KUTI, DICKERSON, RIPPERTON,
MARY, ISIS, THERESA, PLATH, RUMI, FELLINI, MICHAUX, NOSTRADAMUS, NEFERTITI,
LA ROCK, SHIVA, GANESHA, YEMAJA, OSHUN, OBATALA, OGUN, KENNEDY, KING, FOUR
LITTLE GIRLS, HIROSHIMA, NAGASAKI, KELLER, BIKO, PERONE, MARLEY, MAGDALENE, COSBY,
SHAKUR, THOSE WHO BURN, THOSE STILL AFLAMED, AND THE COUNTLESS UNNAMED

We claim the present as the pre-sent, as the hereafter.
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.
We are not afraid of the darkness, we trust that the moon shall guide us.
We are determining the future at this very moment.
We now know that the heart is the philosophers' stone
Our music is our alchemy
We stand as the manifested equivalent of 3 buckets of water and a hand full
of minerals, thus realizing that those very buckets turned upside down
supply the percussion factor of forever.
If you must count to keep the beat then count.
Find you mantra and awaken your subconscious.
Curve you circles counterclockwise
Use your cipher to decipher, Coded Language, man made laws.
Climb waterfalls and trees, commune with nature, snakes and bees.
Let your children name themselves and claim themselves as the new day for
today we are determined to be the channelers of these changing frequencies
into songs, paintings, writings, dance, drama, photography, carpentry,
crafts, love, and love.

We enlist every instrument: Acoustic, electronic.
Every so-called race, gender, and sexual preference.
Every per-son as beings of sound to acknowledge their responsibility to
uplift the consciousness of the entire fucking World.

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

We’ll be right back after a quick word from our sponsors…

Various – Rebel Rouser
20221115_100618.jpg

I recall so many K-Tel ads growing up.

Tuesday November 15
10:00 AM ❸ CBS The Price Is Right
Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets Are Kept
FC19C4CC-17B8-4EC2-8C34-7B9C3EBF2783.jpeg

Growing up The Price Is Right and Small Wonder were daytime TV I’d watch when I was home from school for a sick day or summer break. Bob Barker and I even share a Birthday. My favorite games were Plinko, Pathfinder, and Cliffhanger.

Anyways this Louis XIV record is fun but I doubt I woulda ever paid much more than the $10 and some change I picked it up for during a recent Deep Discount sale.

11:00 AM ❷ FOX Small Wonder (S)
Stephen Malkmus - Stephen Malkmus
D4FD381C-232E-4B5C-AC5E-0561EAE06ECD.jpeg
Small Wonder is objectively terrible. It was the kind of bad that reveled in it’s cheesy premise and low budget special effects. It was something I understood was not great even as a child yet I would watch it regularly for some reason. The Android daughter/housekeeper Vicky was the best part of the show while their human son Jaimie was kind of wiener. I alway wondered if this show gave Kubrick the idea for A.I. as they are kinda the same premise.

“Jo Jo’s Jacket” off of Malkmus self-titled debut kicks off with a Yul Brynner quote then Malkmus assumes his persona and asks if you’ve seen him in Westworld where he acted like a robotic cowboy admitting that it was his best role and that he felt right at home in that electronic carcass.

Various – Jazz In Transition
20221115_100832.jpg

These don't sell for particularly huge sums, but it's often around $50-$100 for the ones in really good shape. I was closing out some activity on eBay a couple of months ago and happened to catch this one with less than 24 hours on the clock and no bids, so I put in a bid for shits and giggles and wound up getting it for $5! I picked up a few other titles from the same seller as a result, so even after factoring in shipping this one felt like a steal. And it is pristine, other than lacking an obi - but I can't listen to the obi anyway, so I'm more than good with it!

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

11:00 AM ❷ FOX Small Wonder (S)
Jamal Moss – Thanks 4 The Tracks U Lost
20221115_100923.jpg

I don't listen to a huge amount of electronic music these days (for a few years when I was actively DJing in the scene here it was probably about 80% of my overall listening) but there are a few producers I quite enjoy and Jamal Moss a/k/a Hieroglyphic Being is one of them. I first encountered him performing with Shabaka Hutchings and Sarathy Korwar and have really enjoyed running backwards and forward through his prolific stream of releases since. They are never boring, and very much tickle similar intergalactic itches to Sun Ra and his Arkestra.

Tuesday November 15
Play an album you got a good deal on.

RUSH "2112" (1976 Mercury; 2015 reissue)
I'm not a big RUSH fan but I wanted to get the QRP pressings of a couple of their main records since those pressings are starting to go up in price. Fine folks on the interwebs say these are AAA too. Not sure but the few I heard sound fantastic. Anyway, the first one I wanted is obviously Moving Pictures, so I placed an order on Discogs. Seller accidently sent me this one instead because they had mis-listed. They actually had a copy of 2112 and not Moving Pictures. I sent them a quick message to let them know and ask what they wanted to do. Without further prompting, they just sent a refund and told me to keep the record. So I ended up with a free copy of the QRP pressing of 2112. Worked out well for me! Can't beat that price. Record has a neat hologram in the deadwax too.

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Tuesday November 15
Play an album you got a good deal on

This was part of the Zavvi deal, ended up being something like $4 for the D'Agostini presses of like 10 records. Hard to beat as a early entry to jazz.

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else

D859CF03-70AE-4D4B-9CB2-899DCDB023A4.jpeg

Wednesday November 16
4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R)
Play some groovy far out tunes that would make Johnny Bravo proud

You want Groovy? You want Far Out? You Want Johnny Bravo doing high kicks in bell bottoms? You get all that in this clip from the Brady Bunch Hour, plus the cast of What's Happening, Alice & Rip Taylor in Duck Outfits, the whole cast of the Brady Bunch getting their disco on, and Rick Dees performing his "hit" Disco Duck. Hit play and journey back to the depths of the 70's for 5 1/2 glorious minutes.

Rick Dees and his Cast of Idiots ~ Disco Duck

1668619588379.png

Wednesday November 16
4:35 PM ⓯ TBS The Brady Bunch (R)
Play some groovy far out tunes that would make Johnny Bravo proud.

This is reminding me that I need a vinyl copy of Nuggets... but I'll go with this today.

Various Artists "Jazz Dispensary: The Dank D-Funk Blend Vol. 2" (2021 Jazz Dispensary)
Groovy and far-out, man.

IMG_3191.JPG

Back