Nom nom nom - Food Thread

View attachment 115424

First go of the Ooni. Maybe was a bit ambitious having folk round, but as a baptism by fire it was pretty good. Definitely need to improve my dough game, and I’ll probably move to gas cooking soon. Overall, pretty chuffed.
I just tried the Robertas dough recipe (a place in Brooklyn, I guess?) and it was both very easy to make, very easy to work, and easy to cook with.

I recommend it as a low-effort dough to get your sea legs. Here's my adapted recipe:
  • 500 grams 00 flour
  • 13 grams fine sea salt
  • 3.25 grams active dry yeast
  • 6.5 grams extra-virgin olive oil
  1. In a stand mixer equipped with a dough hook, combine flours and salt and mix well.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together 325 grams lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Mix on low speed until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Mix rested dough again for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rise 3-4 hours at room temperature or 24-72 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
  4. To make pizza, coat each dough ball in semolina and place on a semolina-dusted surface. Use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.
Since it uses 00 flour, the dough holds up well to stone temperatures around 800 degrees. I recommend turning your flame down very low just before launching, then letting the crust set for 30-40 seconds before turning the flame up a little bit and beginning to turn the pie. Should take 2-3 minutes to cook.

edit: obviously if you're cooking with wood you can't make the rapid temperature adjustments, but that mostly just means you'll have to keep a closer eye on your crust.

I just tried the Robertas dough recipe (a place in Brooklyn, I guess?) and it was both very easy to make, very easy to work, and easy to cook with.

I recommend it as a low-effort dough to get your sea legs. Here's my adapted recipe:
  • 500 grams 00 flour
  • 13 grams fine sea salt
  • 3.25 grams active dry yeast
  • 6.5 grams extra-virgin olive oil
  1. In a stand mixer equipped with a dough hook, combine flours and salt and mix well.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together 325 grams lukewarm tap water, the yeast and the olive oil, then pour it into flour mixture. Mix on low speed until well combined, approximately 3 minutes, then let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Mix rested dough again for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Place on a heavily floured surface, cover with dampened cloth, and let rise 3-4 hours at room temperature or 24-72 hours in the refrigerator. (If you refrigerate the dough, remove it 30 to 45 minutes before you begin to shape it for pizza.)
  4. To make pizza, coat each dough ball in semolina and place on a semolina-dusted surface. Use your fingers to stretch it, then your hands to shape it into rounds or squares. Top and bake.
Since it uses 00 flour, the dough holds up well to stone temperatures around 800 degrees. I recommend turning your flame down very low just before launching, then letting the crust set for 30-40 seconds before turning the flame up a little bit and beginning to turn the pie. Should take 2-3 minutes to cook.

edit: obviously if you're cooking with wood you can't make the rapid temperature adjustments, but that mostly just means you'll have to keep a closer eye on your crust.

That’s almost identical to the recipe I use but for 1 teaspoon and a half of caster sugar in with the yeast and lukewarm water and substituting 100g of the 00 for semolina flour, it gives a really nice flavour and texture to the dough. I also don’t weigh the oil, pour in roughly 2 tablespoons for that amount of dough.

00 flour does make a big difference to the dough in comparison to normal strong white bread flour.

If you have some sourdough starter on the go using it instead of the dry yeast and water ups the game another level too.

That’s almost identical to the recipe I use but for 1 teaspoon and a half of caster sugar in with the yeast and lukewarm water and substituting 100g of the 00 for semolina flour, it gives a really nice flavour and texture to the dough. I also don’t weigh the oil, pour in roughly 2 tablespoons for that amount of dough.

00 flour does make a big difference to the dough in comparison to normal strong white bread flour.

If you have some sourdough starter on the go using it instead of the dry yeast and water ups the game another level too.
I've found that sugar (and even, sometimes, oil) can cause doughs to, ah, catch fire in the Ooni. Although 00 flour is far more resistant to browning/ignition than normal all-purpose flour, so it might well be fine.

I do really like the texture of semolina, and a hardy coating does make the dough massively easier to work and launch. I'm going to use it more aggressively in the future.

Sourdough starter sounds like an excellent idea!

I've found that sugar (and even, sometimes, oil) can cause doughs to, ah, catch fire in the Ooni. Although 00 flour is far more resistant to browning/ignition than normal all-purpose flour, so it might well be fine.

I do really like the texture of semolina, and a hardy coating does make the dough massively easier to work and launch. I'm going to use it more aggressively in the future.

Sourdough starter sounds like an excellent idea!

Haha! Fair enough! I can’t have a fire based outdoor pizza oven because balcony. I have a pizza steel in the oven. I nervously BBQ expecting a “get rid of it” letter from the management company every time 😂

The sourdough starter does give it a lovely flavour, for 500g flour the recipe I use has 300ml starter and 250ml water in the jug with the teaspoon and half of caster sugar that I would use. I find the sugar even more useful with the starter than with the yeast because it needs it more to get it going.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving! No turkey this year.

Lamb chops, seafood paella, branzino, onion and mushroom tart, mashed potatoes, moin moin, asparagus & mushrooms with bell peppers, bread stuffing

FFEWi90WUAQUlzw.jpg

FFEWi93XoAwrH_G.jpg

FFEWi-gWQAsbeSA.jpg

FFEWi_rXEAUumL0.jpg

FFEXL9vXEA4XQi5.jpg

FFEXL9wXIAACMaS.jpg

FFEXL-6XIAgQ0Hi.jpg

FFEXMMvXIAo7GII.jpg

Dessert - maple butterscotch cake, apple pie + lemon, pumpkin, apple and pear tarts

FFEkfXoWUAMlzNM.jpg

FFEkfZwXMAoFOfJ.jpg

FFEkflzXEAEhRul.jpg

Cheers

FFEX2CfXsAgtJLq.jpg

Back