No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

So how does this “No Buy” thing work? ‘Cause I was going to try No Buy 2021 and just start my own “Sealed record you already bought of the month club.”

But...Do I need to cancel my preorders? What about the remaining 2 months of my VMP subscription? Can I trade records I don’t want for records I do?

Just curious what the rules are...

So how does this “No Buy” thing work? ‘Cause I was going to try No Buy 2021 and just start my own “Sealed record you already bought of the month club.”

But...Do I need to cancel my preorders? What about the remaining 2 months of my VMP subscription? Can I trade records I don’t want for records I do?

Just curious what the rules are...
As a whole, the no buy is what you want it to be. The point is to enjoy what you have and spend more time with some of those records that you maybe only played once and really dug.

There’s no hard and fast rules in the thread, just don’t brag about jumping off the no buy and gush about what you did buy.

The January challenge is still taking form over the next few days and I think I will do a master post for that. If it helps people, we can do challenges each month.

The sealed record of the month club sounds like a fun idea!!!

The sealed record of the month club sounds like a fun idea!!!

My Sealed Record of the Month Club is going to be great.

Going through my records, and I think I might have enough for an Essentials and Classics track.
And a Marvin Gaye Anthology.

[Maybe my wife was right? Maybe I do have too many records.]

I'm pretty proud to report I haven't bought a record in December. Decided to use this in combination with selling some off the records I don't listen to that much as motivation to get new gear. I.e. "I'll sell off 50 records to buy a new speakers and an amp, and not buy any new records until I've fulfilled buying the gear or reducing the collection by that number".

I am down to participate, though I won't get any extra points because I almost always open records when they come in the mail regardless of if I intend to spin them that day or not 😅

But my vinyl backlog is GIGANTIC. that combined with having a bunch of records i probs havent spun in years... yeah some reacquainting and cooling on buying would do me some good

Okay.

We are going by the honor system here.

Starting 12/31, pull out those records you have not spun at all, as in never. One point each. Honor system.

You get two extra points if it was sealed. Because records are meant to be listened to. For that, I need a pic of the sealed record and then you playing it.

Winner at 1/31 will get $50 donated to a food bank or animal rescue of their choice in your name.

January will be crazy for me so I will check in when I can but be cool to each other.

let’s do this.

let me know if you have any questions before 12/31!

I'll participate. I have, at last check, 8 pending orders that go as far as April of next year. Coming up close on my self-imposed cap, anyways.
I never keep things sealed, though. I've learned that from you guys as a result of the (lack of) QA at [REDACTED].

I am down to participate, though I won't get any extra points because I almost always open records when they come in the mail regardless of if I intend to spin them that day or not 😅

But my vinyl backlog is GIGANTIC. that combined with having a bunch of records i probs havent spun in years... yeah some reacquainting and cooling on buying would do me some good

Yep I’m the same, open it and have a look as soon as it gets home. Might then take me a while to get around to cleaning/spinning

Hiya! Master post to come tonightttt!

Today starts the challenge. Pull out those records you haven’t listened to and ring in the new year!

Either post pics here for credit or tag me in what’s spinning thread!

Okay.

We are going by the honor system here.

Starting 12/31, pull out those records you have not spun at all, as in never. One point each. Honor system.

You get two extra points if it was sealed. Because records are meant to be listened to. For that, I need a pic of the sealed record and then you playing it.

Winner at 1/31 will get $50 donated to a food bank or animal rescue of their choice in your name.

January will be crazy for me so I will check in when I can but be cool to each other.

let’s do this.

let me know if you have any questions before 12/31!

I cannot relate the “unopened records” thing. I spin every single record I buy within a week max, so that I can return them in case there are any major QC problems.

The problem I do have is that I will buy a record, spin it 2-3 times, and then never listen to it again after putting it away on the shelf with my general collection. When I was trying to put together my “2020 retrospective” list for a different thread, I noticed there weren’t too many albums I spun even a handful of times.

I cannot relate the “unopened records” thing. I spin every single record I buy within a week max, so that I can return them in case there are any major QC problems.

The problem I do have is that I will buy a record, spin it 2-3 times, and then never listen to it again after putting it away on the shelf with my general collection. When I was trying to put together my “2020 retrospective” list for a different thread, I noticed there weren’t too many albums I spun even a handful of times.
I think Feb or March will have a challenge like this

Sure I'm a day late but here we go. Since no one tagged me, we start today.

JANUARY 2021 - NO BUY VINYL THREAD CHALLENGE

Are you looking to cut down or eliminate your vinyl spending this first month of a fresh new year? Do you have records in your collection that you bought and never listened to? Do you have sealed records that need to be opened and played because records are meant to be listened to and are not collector's items? Do you have some fresh grabs from December that need spins or records that have been in your collection for yearssss?

This. is. the. challenge. for. you. Let's get these albums spun and enjoyed instead of stalking the deals or pre-order thread to overstuff your shelves.

The rules:

-Be cool. Don't bring your fresh January grabs in here and brag.
-Don't try to sell yr unwanted vinyl here (bro).
-We are on the honor system here.

How it works:

-Go through your collection and identify unplayed records that were in your collection before today 1/1/21!
-Take a pic of them getting spun. You can either tag me in this thread or in the What's Spinning thread.
-Get pointsssssssss
-Top 3 members with the most points get donations made in their names to their local food bank or animal shelters/rescues.

Pointsssss:

- 1 point: record opened but spun for the first time (pic)
- add 1 point: do you have a N&G ROTM that you haven't spun? spin it (pic) (extra bonus point if it is my march 2020 selection <3)
- add 2 points: sealed record opened and spun for the first time (pics of sealed cover and record being spun)
- add 5 points: box set! you have an unlistened to box set? spin it all (pics of each disc spinning)
- add 31 points: did you spin an unlistened to record every flipping day in January? points city to you.

Prizes:

- First Place gets $50 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue!
- Second Place gets $30 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! (Donated by @Kris)
- Third Place gets $20 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! (Donated by @Kris)

Questions? Tag me or message me. January will be an insane month for me so I will be popping in and out. I will keep track on a google doc and update weekly.

If I don't respond within a day, tag my bro @Ginormousthumbs. He can reach me or should I just trust him to answer questions for me?

Happy new year y'all! I'm excited to dig into my collection. I am reorganizing my collection today and flagging records that have been seriously ignored.

Also, the thread is still open to non challenge people who want to talk about their no buy periods but I hope to get a decent turn out for this.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sure I'm a day late but here we go. Since no one tagged me, we start today.

JANUARY 2021 - NO BUY VINYL THREAD CHALLENGE

Are you looking to cut down or eliminate your vinyl spending this first month of a fresh new year? Do you have records in your collection that you bought and never listened to? Do you have sealed records that need to be opened and played because records are meant to be listened to and are not collector's items? Do you have some fresh grabs from December that need spins or records that have been in your collection for yearssss?

This. is. the. challenge. for. you. Let's get these albums spun and enjoyed instead of stalking the deals or pre-order thread to overstuff your shelves.

The rules:

-Be cool. Don't bring your fresh January grabs in here and brag.
-Don't try to sell yr unwanted vinyl here (bro).
-We are on the honor system here.

How it works:

-Go through your collection and identify unplayed records that were in your collection before today 1/1/21!
-Take a pic of them getting spun. You can either tag me in this thread or in the What's Spinning thread.
-Get pointsssssssss
-Top 3 members with the most points get donations made in their names to their local food bank or animal shelters/rescues.

Pointsssss:

- 1 point: record opened but spun for the first time (pic)
- add 1 point: do you have a N&G ROTM that you haven't spun? spin it (pic) (extra bonus point if it is my march 2020 selection <3)
- add 2 points: sealed record opened and spun for the first time (pics of sealed cover and record being spun)
- add 5 points: box set! you have an unlistened to box set? spin it all (pics of each disc spinning)
- add 31 points: did you spin an unlistened to record every flipping day in January? points city to you.

Prizes:

- First Place gets $50 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue!
- Second Place gets $30 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! (Donated by @Kris)
- Third Place gets $20 donated to their local food bank or animal shelter/rescue! (Donated by @Kris)

Questions? Tag me or message me. January will be an insane month for me so I will be popping in and out. I will keep track on a google doc and update weekly.

If I don't respond within a day, tag my bro @Ginormousthumbs. He can reach me or should I just trust him to answer questions for me?

Happy new year y'all! I'm excited to dig into my collection. I am reorganizing my collection today and flagging records that have been seriously ignored.

Also, the thread is still open to non challenge people who want to talk about their no buy periods but I hope to get a decent turn out for this.

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I’m thinking maybe a new thread for this? It might not be good to see a bunch of records in here for people abstaining? Or is this about the shared shame, haha.

Back