No Buy May Challenge! May 1-May 31!!!

Midori Takada - Through the Looking Glass

20210505_225438.jpg

An almost forgotten Japanese ambient/new age stunner. The atmosphere changes to a palpable organic force that could be contextualized as something harrowing and violent.
Japanese ambient is something else...it doesn't often rely on droney sections to lengthen the run time. It is instead felt with pockets of space and organic choice of timbre, where a simple yet unexpected change of instrumental shift bears deep emotional resonance.

Alice Coltrane - A Monastic Trio

20210506_003312.jpg

I have found Alice's music to be substantially more fascinating than her husband's as of late, something you'd never hear me say even three years ago. I could use more of her records without hesitation, and I am eager to sample more.
This one is also fairly accessible; glad I got this one on a blind buy last month. Hard bop influences, but assuredly not the intent.

Dead Can Dance - Anastasis

View attachment 98424

I am stunned by the mastering of this album. Truly transcendent release that turns 10 next year! If only there were more bands/duos like them...
My biggest concert sadness of the Covid era is not getting to see Dead Can Dance. My wife purchased tickets in Oct. 2019 for a May 2020 show, which got rescheduled to June of this year and has been rescheduled again for Oct. 23, which will be great for many of the ticket holders, but is our exact due date - which is itself exciting, but means no Dead Can Dance show.

Back