No Buy May Challenge! May 1-May 31!!!

y'all. Y'ALL. ARE. FILLING. ME. WITH. JOY.

How does everyone feel at nearly the halfway point?

Have you rediscovered anything in your collection that you've possibly neglected?

Tell me if this challenge is helpful for you and your habitsssssssssssssss
I’m having a lot of fun with this challenge. And it’s been extremely helpful just focusing on this thread and ignoring pre-orders and new releases. Feeling good!

And yeah I’ve spun some stuff in my collection that tends to get neglected (like the Kero Kero Bonito record I’m currently spinning. So much fun).

y'all. Y'ALL. ARE. FILLING. ME. WITH. JOY.

How does everyone feel at nearly the halfway point?

Have you rediscovered anything in your collection that you've possibly neglected?

Tell me if this challenge is helpful for you and your habitsssssssssssssss

I feel like I need to stop streaming new music and get back to listening to older music now that @jfitzy is catching up! 🤣

In all seriousness, though, I love this challenge. Its brought me back to some too long neglected gems and I still have some buried treasure left to get to. It's been super fun and illuminating!

I've also given myself ideas for some fun side challenges in future no-buy months, so that's pretty exciting too!

I feel like I need to stop streaming new music and get back to listening to older music now that @jfitzy is catching up! 🤣

In all seriousness, though, I love this challenge. Its brought me back to some too long neglected gems and I still have some buried treasure left to get to. It's been super fun and illuminating!

I've also given myself ideas for some fun side challenges in future no-buy months, so that's pretty exciting too!
Please share you side challenges! I was thinking about doing that during next month!

Please share you side challenges! I was thinking about doing that during next month!

Mostly along the lines of single artist or single letter challenges. It looks like I've kinda been doing this with Sun Ra - but I just listen to a lot of Sun Ra! But I love the idea of dedicating a day or three to a single artist's catalogue. Or bands/artists with the same starting letter - like a lesser version of the whole collection in reverse/alphabetical order.

For heightened challenge levels I was thinking of trying days where I stick to a specific year of release.

And lastly, a page out of my old collaborative mixtape making days: going in with no plan but each subsequent pick has to be an artist whose name begins with the last letter of the previous artist.

I think each of these open up some possibilities that might otherwise get overlooked, or in the single artist case is just a great excuse for a deep dive.

And lastly, a page out of my old collaborative mixtape making days: going in with no plan but each subsequent pick has to be an artist whose name begins with the last letter of the previous artist.
...elaborating off this, it could be fun to riff off of others' plays too, but then there would be the inevitable simultaneous posts making things difficult.

Similarly call and response style games. I know a lot of spins @jfitzy has been posting have led me to think, "oh I should play such n such in response!" Although, I've either not been in a position to play anything it that moment, or had something else in the works.

Except of course when we both played Giant Steps at nearly the exact same time. That was perfect!

...elaborating off this, it could be fun to riff off of others' plays too, but then there would be the inevitable simultaneous posts making things difficult.

Similarly call and response style games. I know a lot of spins @jfitzy has been posting have led me to think, "oh I should play such n such in response!" Although, I've either not been in a position to play anything it that moment, or had something else in the works.

Except of course when we both played Giant Steps at nearly the exact same time. That was perfect!
I like the idea of a call and response type game. Several of your posts have inspired things that I choose to spin.

And yeah the Giant Steps sync up was great haha

I like the idea of a call and response type game. Several of your posts have inspired things that I choose to spin.

And yeah the Giant Steps sync up was great haha

Similarly several of your spins have inspired mine, although I've head back on some direct responses due to other posts between one that's inspired me and my ability to play anything. That said, easily mitigated by quote responses if an actual call and response challenge were happening.

Back