NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Pittsburgh Penguins are acquiring defenseman Dmitry Kulikov from the Anaheim Ducks for forward Brock McGinn and a third-round pick, reports TSN's Pierre LeBrun.

Kulikov is a pending unrestricted free agent carrying a cap hit of $2.25-million.

More to come.

TRAFE ALERT 🚨

The Buffalo Sabres acquired forward Jordan Greenway from the Minnesota Wild for a 2023 second-round pick and a fifth-round selection in 2024, reports The Athletic's Michael Russo.

More to come.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Anaheim Ducks dealt defenseman John Klingberg to the Minnesota Wild for blue-liner Andrej Sustr, a 2025 fourth-round pick, and the rights to college forward Nikita Nesterenko, reports The Athletic's Joe Smith.

The Ducks are reportedly retaining 50% of Klingberg's $7-million cap hit.

More to come.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Calgary Flames acquired forward Nick Ritchie and defenseman Troy Stecher from the Arizona Coyotes for forward Brett Ritchie and defenseman Connor Mackey, reports Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Nick Ritchie has nine goals and 21 points in 58 contests. The 27-year-old, who has a $2.5-million cap hit, is an impending unrestricted free agent.

Stecher has zero goals and seven points in 61 games. The 28-year-old is also an impending UFA.

The right-shot blue-liner was acquired by the Los Angeles Kings at last year's trade deadline. He tallied two goals and four points in four playoff games with the Kings.

Brett Ritchie has six goals and eight points in 34 games. The older Ritchie brother is on a league-minimum contract that expires after this season.

Mackey has two goals and three points in 10 NHL contests this season. The 26-year-old is an impending restricted free agent.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Calgary Flames acquired forward Nick Ritchie and defenseman Troy Stecher from the Arizona Coyotes for forward Brett Ritchie and defenseman Connor Mackey, reports Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Nick Ritchie has nine goals and 21 points in 58 contests. The 27-year-old, who has a $2.5-million cap hit, is an impending unrestricted free agent.

Brett Ritchie has six goals and eight points in 34 games. The older Ritchie brother is on a league-minimum contract that expires after this season.
Wondering how many times this has happened in nhl history before

Even though I don’t believe the Pens are in the running for da Cup, at least Hextall was able to move some unattractive contracts.

😄

Despite drawing some criticism for his deadline moves, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ron Hextall believes he found the pieces to help his club compete for a championship.

"I think there's a lot of teams that are capable of winning the Cup," Hextall said, according to NHL.com's Wes Crosby. "Yes, I'd say we're one of them."

Hextall brought in Mikael Granlund, Nick Bonino, and Dmitry Kulikov in separate trades to supplement Pittsburgh's core while moving out Brock McGinn and a collection of draft picks.

Many expected Pittsburgh to be in the market for some of the bigger names available ahead of the deadline due to the team's precarious position in the Eastern Conference playoff race. The Penguins are currently clinging to the first wild-card spot, but five chasers are within four points.

The franchise has made the playoffs in 16 consecutive seasons under the leadership of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Kris Letang, but it hasn't won a series since 2017-18.

"We've got a proven group. We've got a hungry group. We've got a group of guys that we all think of as winners," Hextall said. You've got to make the playoffs first. Right now, that's our objective. We'll see where we go from there. I feel good about this team."

Hextall took over as GM in 2021 after previously serving in the Philadelphia Flyers' and Los Angeles Kings' front offices.

Rumours, but as someone who was GOING to buy Thrasher Season Tickets Right before they left... I'm hopeful.

😄

Despite drawing some criticism for his deadline moves, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ron Hextall believes he found the pieces to help his club compete for a championship.

"I think there's a lot of teams that are capable of winning the Cup," Hextall said, according to NHL.com's Wes Crosby. "Yes, I'd say we're one of them."

Hextall brought in Mikael Granlund, Nick Bonino, and Dmitry Kulikov in separate trades to supplement Pittsburgh's core while moving out Brock McGinn and a collection of draft picks.

Many expected Pittsburgh to be in the market for some of the bigger names available ahead of the deadline due to the team's precarious position in the Eastern Conference playoff race. The Penguins are currently clinging to the first wild-card spot, but five chasers are within four points.

The franchise has made the playoffs in 16 consecutive seasons under the leadership of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, and Kris Letang, but it hasn't won a series since 2017-18.

"We've got a proven group. We've got a hungry group. We've got a group of guys that we all think of as winners," Hextall said. You've got to make the playoffs first. Right now, that's our objective. We'll see where we go from there. I feel good about this team."

Hextall took over as GM in 2021 after previously serving in the Philadelphia Flyers' and Los Angeles Kings' front offices.

He should have been fired right after that quote.

I was having a conversation with someone the other day about the Bruins and they said sometimes all it takes is a new voice in the locker room and that’s exactly what this team needs. Once this team either misses the playoffs or gets bounced in the first round, FSG needs to fire everyone.

Back