NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

It’s crazy but even if the playoffs had started as planned, I wouldn’t have picked the Penguins to get out of the first round. Not with that D.
Honestly it's the same thing with the Leafs.. they were a .500 team since Christmas. The book has been out on them for 3 years. They've gotten worse each year. I expected them to MAYBE sneak into the playoffs and then get pumped in the first round. This isn't a surprise. I just keep hoping they might learn something, they might progress. But they don't, they're a broken team and they need to be split up. Nylander should go, Tavares, should go. Shanahan and Dubas HAVE to go. We have no ability to play defence and we have no ability to create if teams trap us. It's the same thing every year. So yeah, I expected us to fail this year. I'd hoped that in game one of this series I'd see a new more mature team. But I didn't, I saw the same old team that's been going backwards for years now. And I knew at that point we probably weren't winning this series. So I'm pissed, but this team isn't winning anything. Even if we beat CBJ we'd just go out in the next round. They're losers.

Honestly it's the same thing with the Leafs.. they were a .500 team since Christmas. The book has been out on them for 3 years. They've gotten worse each year. I expected them to MAYBE sneak into the playoffs and then get pumped in the first round. This isn't a surprise. I just keep hoping they might learn something, they might progress. But they don't, they're a broken team and they need to be split up. Nylander should go, Tavares, should go. Shanahan and Dubas HAVE to go. We have no ability to play defence and we have no ability to create if teams trap us. It's the same thing every year. So yeah, I expected us to fail this year. I'd hoped that in game one of this series I'd see a new more mature team. But I didn't, I saw the same old team that's been going backwards for years now. And I knew at that point we probably weren't winning this series. So I'm pissed, but this team isn't winning anything. Even if we beat CBJ we'd just go out in the next round. They're losers.

I'm really surprised that they’ve thrown all that cash on 3 players and think that the defense doesn’t need fixing. Lots of pressure in Toronto for sure.

They know that the defence needs to be addressed. Dubas acquired both Muzzin and Barrie in the last year and a half. Barrie didn't work out but the process of that trade made sense at the time. Nylander is not the dude to trade, though.

They know that the defence needs to be addressed. Dubas acquired both Muzzin and Barrie in the last year and a half. Barrie didn't work out but the process of that trade made sense at the time. Nylander is not the dude to trade, though.
Yeah and Barrie was an unmitigated disaster as was Kerfoot. Muzzin has been.fine but not a game changer. The team is broken. This is not a "we need a player or two" this team needs to be undone. I wouldn't trade Matthews, and I wouldn't trade Marner (yet) but I absolutely think Nylander is useless on this team and I think Tavares is another who should go so we can get some actual hard playing bodies on this team. Not to mention Dubas and Shanahan.

Kerfoot was okay. I love Kadri as much as anyone but you can't deny that he had to go; he took himself out of two consecutive playoff series and possibly cost them those series. And he was never again going to play top-6 minutes for the team after signing Tavares. They found a trade for a younger, 3rd-line centre who cost less and had more control, as well as one year of one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. It was a solid trade when they were in a tough position and it was obvious he had to go.

Nylander making $4MM less than Marner also means he's the only one providing value for his money. I would have traded Marner last year if I could, but I think Johnsson and/or Kapanen are gone this fall and the top 4 get one more year to try. Maybe Nylander is the only one who can be traded, because he has a good contract and Marner is insanely overpaid, but there's no way he's the one who deserves to be. Especially tonight -- Keefe put him with two sub-par wingers and made him play centre for basically the first time all year. Meanwhile he loaded up one line with his two best centres allowing Columbus to hard match them. Ridiculous strategy.

Kerfoot was okay. I love Kadri as much as anyone but you can't deny that he had to go; he took himself out of two consecutive playoff series and possibly cost them those series. And he was never again going to play top-6 minutes for the team after signing Tavares. They found a trade for a younger, 3rd-line centre who cost less and had more control, as well as one year of one of the best offensive defencemen in the league. It was a solid trade when they were in a tough position and it was obvious he had to go.

Nylander making $4MM less than Marner also means he's the only one providing value for his money. I would have traded Marner last year if I could, but I think Johnsson and/or Kapanen are gone this fall and the top 4 get one more year to try. Maybe Nylander is the only one who can be traded, because he has a good contract and Marner is insanely overpaid, but there's no way he's the one who deserves to be. Especially tonight -- Keefe put him with two sub-par wingers and made him play centre for basically the first time all year. Meanwhile he loaded up one line with his two best centres allowing Columbus to hard match them. Ridiculous strategy.
Oh trust me, I was already wary of Kadri after the first couple major fuck ups, so when he got suspended again I was SCREAMING for him to go. He had to. My biggest issue is NO ONE Dubas has signed has worked out. They've all been absolute failures. Muzzin has been... fine. But nothing incredible. Barrie and Kerfoot have massively underachieved considering what we reasonably expected from them considering their prior numbers. And then Dubas went and signed 4 of the most insane contracts ever for ANY team let alone ALL ON THE SAME TEAM. He has failed and hamstrung the team for YEARS to come. He's basically proved that possession numbers and analytics can not build a real team. They can build what we have, which is a great team on paper and a farce on the ice.

And to that I say GOOD DAY SIR
I HAVE BEER TO DRINK

But seriously we have to drink beer and listen to records soon, once the biblical apocalypse had concluded.

Well at least the Leafs can say they haven't lost in the first round of the playoffs this year because they never actually made it to the playoffs 😄 🤣 😂

He's basically proved that possession numbers and analytics can not build a real team. They can build what we have, which is a great team on paper and a farce on the ice.

And to that I say GOOD DAY SIR
I HAVE BEER TO DRINK

But seriously we have to drink beer and listen to records soon, once the biblical apocalypse had concluded.
Yeah, I don't agree with everything here but I take your points. Matthews is the best 5-on-5 scorer in the league and has kept improving since he signed that deal. Tavares scored 47 goals in his first season and had a down year this year so I'm not ready to say it hasn't worked out. Nylander bounced back in a major way with 30+ goals this year and makes $4MM less than Marner, who somehow got like 30% above his market value, which is why I expect so much more from him and am more disappointed. (Also, from the Athletic: "Marner, remarkably, finished the series without a single 5-on-5 point. He had only one 5-on-5 point over seven games against the Bruins in the playoffs in 2019. And that was a goal, which means Marner has gone the last 12 playoff games without a 5-on-5 assist." Shoot me.) Muzzin is the left-handed version of the defenceman Leafs fans have been screaming to acquire for years; he'll be on his downward trajectory at his age but I think he's incredibly useful as a shut-down D who can actually move the puck, too.

The players are different because of who they already had but the puck-possession style of game worked for Chicago and Pittsburgh just fine and teams like Tampa and Carolina are incredible. It's basically modeling the team after the most successful teams of Shanahan's career, the late '90s Wings, without Fedorov or Lidstrom. Of course there's tinkering to be done but Dubas wanted to fire Babcock last year and Shanny wouldn't let him, and he's finally out from under the biggest mistakes of Lou's tenure (the Zaitsev deal, Matt Martin, the third year of Marleau, etc.). This offseason is going to be huge and I have no idea what's going to happen. We'll see.

In the meantime go Avs and Lightning.

2020 NHL Draft Lottery, Phase 2
When:
Monday, Aug. 10, 6 p.m. ET
How to watch: NHL Network, NBSCN, Sportsnet, TVAS

Phase 1 of the draft lottery in June marked the first NHL event since play was suspended March 12. With the hockey world watching with anticipation to find out which team would land the top pick at the 2020 draft, the evening ended without an answer.

Against the odds, one of the eight losing teams from the play-in round won, leading us to a second and unprecedented phase in the draft lottery process.

Teams involved
For the first time in history, a team without one of the league's worst seven records will nab the first overall pick at the draft, per Sportsnet stats. That means a playoff-caliber club - and possibly even a Stanley Cup contender - could end up adding consensus No. 1 prospect and QMJHL sensation Alexis Lafreniere to its roster.

The Nashville Predators, Edmonton Oilers, Minnesota Wild, and Winnipeg Jets represent the Western Conference clubs with a shot at the first overall selection, while the Pittsburgh Penguins, Florida Panthers, New York Rangers, and Toronto Maple Leafs round out the Eastern Conference hopefuls. Each of these clubs owns a 12.5% chance of winning the lottery.

The seven teams that don't win the top pick will be assigned 2020 NHL Draft picks 9-15 in inverse order of their points percentages when the regular season was suspended.

In June, we broke down what it would mean for each play-in team in the East and West to earn the first overall selection.

How we got here
When the season hit pause, every component of the NHL's calendar - including the draft lottery - became uncertain. The lottery order is typically established based on the final standings after the 82-game season, but with the halted campaign, teams had played an unequal amount of games with just under one month remaining on the schedule.

As a solution, the seven clubs that did not qualify for the 24-team play-in round, along with the eight losing teams in the qualifying round, were entered into Phase 1 of the draft lottery using traditional lottery odds. The unknown teams were enlisted as "Placeholder teams A-through-H."

Despite the Ottawa Senators owning a 25% chance of landing the top pick, and the last-place Detroit Red Wings owning a 18.5% chance, "Placeholder team E" miraculously prevailed with just a 2% chance of winning the lottery.

So, who exactly is that placeholder team? That's what we'll find out Monday night.

Draft order so far
PICKTEAM
1Placeholder team
2Los Angeles Kings
3Ottawa Senators
4Detroit Red Wings
5Ottawa Senators
6Anaheim Ducks
7New Jersey Devils
8Buffalo Sabres
Although they missed out on the top selection, the Red Wings will make their highest pick of the draft since 1990.

The Kings will select second for the first time since 2008, when they drafted blue-chip defenseman Drew Doughty.

The Senators own three first-round selections, highlighted by picks No. 3 and No. 5, while the Devils also own a trio of picks in the opening round.

Back