NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Go Blues!!!! FUCK THE BRUINS

also does anyone here actually play Hockey, like on a league or something? I joined one recently that plays late at night and it's throwing off my whole rhythm, not sure if anyone does the same

I've been wanting to get into it. I've got a buddy in Atlanta who plays in a beer league and he's been trying to get me to start practicing and getting better with skating and stick skills, but the closest open rink being an hour and a half away really makes it hard to do that with any kind of regularity. Downside of loving hockey in the South I guess.

I've been wanting to get into it. I've got a buddy in Atlanta who plays in a beer league and he's been trying to get me to start practicing and getting better with skating and stick skills, but the closest open rink being an hour and a half away really makes it hard to do that with any kind of regularity. Downside of loving hockey in the South I guess.
I hadn’t considered that yeah. There’s like 5 or 6 rinks within a 30 minute drive from where I live up here. That’s a pain.

It does also have a high barrier to entry cost and skill-wise. It’s not basketball where you just need a ball and some shoes. I played when I was younger but hadn’t skated for about 12 years until I joined this league, so I'm not very good.

I would imagine that a lot of people are also not very good too, so if you ever do it, I wouldn’t worry about being out of your element. There’s people on my team who never skated or played up until about a year ago. I also joined an instructional league/program that ran from January until March that was helpful at getting me back up to speed with everything before joining a team outright. I would seek out if there’s something like that first. If you did want to do something. It might be good to see if you can cut it, and they’re usually very helpful at basic skating and hockey skills. Hour and half drive still sucks though.

The Athletics Josh Yohe reports that the Minnesota Wild have a trade proposal on the table that's centered on Phil Kessel. It's expected that winger Jason Zucker would be part of the trade. The two sides also apparently discussed Pengujns defenseman Jack Johnson and Wild forward Victor Rask. :unsure:

The Athletics Josh Yohe reports that the Minnesota Wild have a trade proposal on the table that's centered on Phil Kessel. It's expected that winger Jason Zucker would be part of the trade. The two sides also apparently discussed Pengujns defenseman Jack Johnson and Wild forward Victor Rask. :unsure:
Oh FFS! As a Wild fan, I’m all for moving Rask and that horrible contract 🙏 - but trading Zucker after a slight dip in goal scoring is a BAD move. I’m not sure what the answer is, but it sure the hell don’t start with Phil. I swear Fenton is mole trying to sabotage the Wild from the inside.

Oh, cool. We finally have a way to get rid of that abomination that is the Jack Johnson contract and it's to my 2nd favorite team in the league. #RetireRutherford

I’m not a fan of trading Kessel. I understand that he’s a legitimate asset but I’m still not a fan. Maybe Mario has JR on a short string this offseason so if he doesn’t make the right moves, he’ll get canned.

I’m not a fan of trading Kessel. I understand that he’s a legitimate asset but I’m still not a fan. Maybe Mario has JR on a short string this offseason so if he doesn’t make the right moves, he’ll get canned.
If GMJR OR Mario think trading away Kessel, Letang, and/or Malkin are the right moves, they probably should be canned. I get the whole cap hell thing, but maybe don't sign terrible players for terrible contracts and it wouldn't be as big of an issue

This article makes me not feel so bad about losing Kessel. If Zucker comes over, he's above average, he might work better in the Penguins system than he has been in Minnesota. I don't follow the Wild so I don't really know him. But the big thing is losing Jack Johnson who is a massive liability. The Penguins will have a repeat up and down season until they really shore up their defense because it's terrible right now.

Go Blues!!!! FUCK THE BRUINS

also does anyone here actually play Hockey, like on a league or something? I joined one recently that plays late at night and it's throwing off my whole rhythm, not sure if anyone does the same
I played from when I was about 5 to 14, and then for a couple years in high school in our rec league. Fell out for a long time, then around 22 started playing pick-up once a week at the local rink. Since moving back to Toronto I've gotten back into it again. We have about 50 outdoor rinks in the winter in the city, with posted schedules for public skating, parents and tots, and adult shinny. For the last few years I've tried to get out at least once a week in the winter. My best friend also plays in a men's league but because ice time is so expensive and junior hockey gets the sensible times (for obvious reasons), most of their games are at like 11pm on weeknights so he has to skip a bunch of them. I'd love to join a league like that at some point, too, but the timing definitely makes it hard. I think most adult rec leagues play really late at night.

NOOOO wtf. Kessel is washed AF and Zucker is basically in his prime. What an idiotic trade.

Oh FFS! As a Wild fan, I’m all for moving Rask and that horrible contract 🙏 - but trading Zucker after a slight dip in goal scoring is a BAD move. I’m not sure what the answer is, but it sure the hell don’t start with Phil. I swear Fenton is mole trying to sabotage the Wild from the inside.

Zucker will be amazing for the Pens. Ya, I really don't get Fenton's plan.

I played from when I was about 5 to 14, and then for a couple years in high school in our rec league. Fell out for a long time, then around 22 started playing pick-up once a week at the local rink. Since moving back to Toronto I've gotten back into it again. We have about 50 outdoor rinks in the winter in the city, with posted schedules for public skating, parents and tots, and adult shinny. For the last few years I've tried to get out at least once a week in the winter. My best friend also plays in a men's league but because ice time is so expensive and junior hockey gets the sensible times (for obvious reasons), most of their games are at like 11pm on weeknights so he has to skip a bunch of them. I'd love to join a league like that at some point, too, but the timing definitely makes it hard. I think most adult rec leagues play really late at night.
that's exactly the situation I'm facing right now lol.

Ice time is expensive. Worst times = cheaper ice. The games are either on Sunday nights starting at about 8, 9 or 10 or a random day in the middle of the week. This week I had a game at 10pm on Wednesday. I was miserable all day yesterday because I only got about 4 hours of sleep by the time I got home and finally fell asleep. Sunday nights are pretty terrible as well since I'd rather wind down at the end of the weekend instead of leaving the house.

This league ends the second week in June and I probably won't join the next one, just wait for fall. It's also gotten relatively nice out, so I'd rather be outside doing things instead of inside playing hockey. In the fall/winter I'll definitely be more in the mood for it. I had originally joined because everyone and their uncle skis up here and I don't, so I wanted something to do in the winter.

There's some people in the league who try to get ice time on their own and we just have pickup hockey at rinks around Burlington. This winter was brutal but normally it's just a couple of weeks to a month of cold enough weather to skate outside. I think that will probably happen this coming winter again with the same group which I'm looking forward to doing.

If GMJR OR Mario think trading away Kessel, Letang, and/or Malkin are the right moves, they probably should be canned. I get the whole cap hell thing, but maybe don't sign terrible players for terrible contracts and it wouldn't be as big of an issue
I hope no one is suggesting that Letang and Malkin should be traded this offseason. Doing a complete teardown of this team is not the answer. Instead they should look at retooling the roster in hopes of competing for another Cup in the next year or two, as well as a possible coaching change since a lot of the players last season seemed to have tuned out Mike Sullivan.

If Phil actually trained during the summer, he’d be better off. I feel like JR has a lot of work to do this summer and it should primarily be in the defense. Definitely move Johnson and maybe even Maatta. I’d also like to see them get a better backup option in goal. It appears they like DeSmith but I’m not sure if that’s the right choice.

If Phil actually trained during the summer, he’d be better off. I feel like JR has a lot of work to do this summer and it should primarily be in the defense. Definitely move Johnson and maybe even Maatta. I’d also like to see them get a better backup option in goal. It appears they like DeSmith but I’m not sure if that’s the right choice.
Murray is not a 60+ game GK so they definitely need someone slightly better. DeSmith is not bad tho, he was putting up a better GAA than Murray during most of the season.

Murray is not a 60+ game GK so they definitely need someone slightly better. DeSmith is it bad tho, he was putting up a better GAA than Murray during most of the season.

Murray gets hurt too much. I don’t ever see this mentioned, but I think losing Fleury hurt Murray’s development. At least from a mental aspect. Guy admitted he was someone he looked up to. So add that along with him losing his dad and it’s not been a good stretch for him. I feel like having some veteran leadership could help him.

Murray gets hurt too much. I don’t ever see this mentioned, but I think losing Fleury hurt Murray’s development. At least from a mental aspect. Guy admitted he was someone he looked up to. So add that along with him losing his dad and it’s not been a good stretch for him. I feel like having some veteran leadership could help him.
100%. The second cup would not have happened without Fleury's help. He's still what, 24? that's relatively young to be counted on as the franchise's number 1 goalie long term. It's a lot of work.

Back