NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Not surprised that the 1st team on the waiver list got him (Buffalo wasn't first because they already picked someone off waivers this month). I imagine there were several teams making a claim.
So strange to me. Everybody else knew a bunch of teams would be wise to claim him; why wouldn't Bergevin pick up the phone and get at least a middling pick for him from someone instead of gifting him to a divisional rival (rival used loosely)?

So strange to me. Everybody else knew a bunch of teams would be wise to claim him; why wouldn't Bergevin pick up the phone and get at least a middling pick for him from someone instead of gifting him to a divisional rival (rival used loosely)?

It's weird to me too. But Bergevin can't be that dumb: I have to assume nobody wanted to make that trade for any picks. Why did they have to waive him at all though? Habs are tight against the cap, so cap space, I guess. But with Ghallager out, there is some space available. So I'm not sure unless there's a move he makes/wanted to make.

Mete is one of these guys that looks good on paper and you notice him because he's mobile. But he has had a tendency to get hemmed in the defensive zone for extended periods if he doesn't get quick possession. Either way, he's looked awful lately, so it's not all that surprising they got rid of him. What's surprising is that he was worth so little on the market.

If this is the mistake it seems, it's now going to be right in Bergevin's face because there's 3 more games vs. Ottawa.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Vancouver Canucks have traded defenseman Jordie Benn to the Winnipeg Jets for a sixth-round draft pick, according to The Athletic's Craig Custance.

Benn, 33, is a pending unrestricted free agent and carries a $2-million cap hit. He has nine points in 31 games while averaging just under 15 minutes of ice time per contest this season and has 126 points in 548 career games.

The Jets were widely expected to shore up their blue line ahead of Monday's trade deadline. Winnipeg currently sits second in the North Division with 53 points.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Washington Capitals acquired forward Michael Raffl from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for a fifth-round pick, according to The Athletic's Craig Custance.

Raffl has spent his entire career with the Flyers since arriving as an undrafted free agent in 2013. The winger has three goals and five assists in 34 games this season.

The 32-year-old winger is Washington's sole acquisition so far at the deadline. The Capitals are currently in first place in the East Division.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Toronto Maple Leafs acquired defenseman Ben Hutton from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a fifth-round pick, reports TSN's Frank Seravalli.

Toronto also reportedly sent forward Alexander Barabanov to the San Jose Sharks for forward Antti Suomela in a separate move.

Hutton posted one goal and four assists over 34 games with the Ducks in 2021. The 27-year-old had spent his entire six-year career with teams on the Pacific coast, playing the 2019-20 campaign with the Los Angeles Kings after suiting up for the Vancouver Canucks in his first four seasons.

Barabanov collected one assist in 13 contests with the Maple Leafs this campaign. The 25-year-old inked a one-year deal with Toronto last April after playing parts of seven seasons in the KHL.

Suomela played four games with the Sharks in 2021. The 27-year-old notched one goal and five assists in 10 contests with their AHL affiliate, the San Jose Barracuda, this year. Suomela played all three of his NHL seasons in the Sharks organization.

The Philadelphia Flyers and forward Scott Laughton have agreed to a five-year contract extension carrying an average annual value of $3 million, the club announced Monday.

Laughton was a pending unrestricted free agent. His current cap hit is $2.3 million.

The 26-year-old has collected seven goals and 10 assists while averaging a career-high 15:34 of ice time across 38 games this season.

Laughton has spent his entire NHL career with the Flyers, who drafted him 20th overall in 2012.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

The Washington Capitals acquired forward Anthony Mantha from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for wingers Jakub Vrana and Richard Panik, a first-round pick in 2021, and a second-round pick in 2022, the team announced Monday.

More to come.

Back