New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

I planned to just use my VPI vacuum to dry, since it would be right there, too.
So let's say you put 3 records in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then you have three records you have to dry. I assume the VPI vacuum is automatic, but you'll still have to flip the record, right? So that's three records separately dried, each flipped once to dry both sides--six separate drying cycles, each requiring your handling of the record. I don't really see that as a time saver. FOR ME, any manual step in the process decreases the chance I'll even clean my records by about 15%. I wish I didn't have to pour and filter the water back into the HG reservoir after each cleaning!

So let's say you put 3 records in the ultrasonic cleaner. Then you have three records you have to dry. I assume the VPI vacuum is automatic, but you'll still have to flip the record, right? So that's three records separately dried, each flipped once to dry both sides--six separate drying cycles, each requiring your handling of the record. I don't really see that as a time saver. FOR ME, any manual step in the process decreases the chance I'll even clean my records by about 15%. I wish I didn't have to pour and filter the water back into the HG reservoir after each cleaning!

Manually drying on the VPI for those 3 records would easily be less than the 5 minute drying cycle for 1 record using the hummingguru. Handling of records doesn't bother me at all, so that's not something I worry about. The time saved doing more than one - plus the money saved is keeping me on the fence about which one I want to get.

Manually drying on the VPI for those 3 records would easily be less than the 5 minute drying cycle for 1 record using the hummingguru. Handling of records doesn't bother me at all, so that's not something I worry about. The time saved doing more than one - plus the money saved is keeping me on the fence about which one I want to get.
Understood and I think that's great, because having an ultrasonic cleaner and using it will be better than not having one at all! 🍻

Can’t wait for your review. I’m still using a spin clean. Seeing folks have issues with the guru when cleaning large collections has made me think that it might not be the value it seems to be for those like me.

What I will say is that all the issues were fixed with easily obtained parts. Was very happy with the service in warranty and the only foible I had outside of warranty is that the charge for the ultra slow boat post seemed steep.

What I will say is that all the issues were fixed with easily obtained parts. Was very happy with the service in warranty and the only foible I had outside of warranty is that the charge for the ultra slow boat post seemed steep.
I gotcha would just rather have something a little more reliable (I assume this thing @LeeVing is getting is not it). I know some shops have used the degritter and I would assume that they are putting these things through more use than most of us are/will.

Probably mostly a pipe dream these days anyhow.

I gotcha would just rather have something a little more reliable (I assume this thing @LeeVing is getting is not it). I know some shops have used the degritter and I would assume that they are putting these things through more use than most of us are/will.

Fair enough. I do think a lot of my issues weren’t due to volume but more due to volume at speed. I cleaned a lot of records in a very short space of time and I wouldn’t be surprised if the board I had to replace burnt out because of it.

You won’t repeat that pace with a both a life and little kiddie lol.

@Jbraswell has a similar ultrasonic cleaner.

Fair enough. I do think a lot of my issues weren’t due to volume but more due to volume at speed. I cleaned a lot of records in a very short space of time and I wouldn’t be surprised if the board I had to replace burnt out because of it.

You won’t repeat that pace with a both a life and little kiddie lol.
Who has a life? How very dare you!

I’ve cleaned about 1,000 records so far with one issue that was solved by easily replacing a part for around $30. I’ll take that for $400 over spending $3,300 on a degritter. None of us are really cleaning thousands and thousands of records like shops with big turnover do and I’m not buying thousands of new records to clean each year (despite what y’all think)

Last edited:
I’ve cleaned about 1,000 records so far with one issue that was solved by easily replacing a part for around $30. I’ll take that for $400 over spending $3,300 on a degritter. None of us are really cleaning thousands and thousands of records like shops with big turnover do and I’m not buying thousands of new records to clean each year (despite what y’all think)
The way I justified it was if it even got through 800, then that would be .50 each record to clean, which is an upcharge I would gladly have paid for each record to get an ultrasonic clean.

The way I justified it was if it even got through 800, then that would be .50 each record to clean, which is an upcharge I would gladly have paid for each record to get an ultrasonic clean.
That and I’d rather invest 3k into setup and upgrade some components instead of spending it in a cleaner that probably doesn’t do much better of a job

Can’t wait for your review. I’m still using a spin clean. Seeing folks have issues with the guru when cleaning large collections has made me think that it might not be the value it seems to be for those like me.

It should be arriving via UPS today - Amazon said next week, but it started in Tacoma, WA, so it was close. I won't get to it until Friday, but I do have a whole 3 day weekend to try it out. I do have to find some noisy records to test it with.

Hey everybody,

Ended up with a nice Amazon gift card for Xmas, so I'm planning to use it toward a Humminguru. I plan to get the dust cover with the unit as I'll be keeping it in my (semi-finished) garage, but anything else I should order with it? I just use distilled water with it, correct?

I haven't looked at hardly any of the 145 other pages of this thread, so apologies as things will inevitably be repeated.

I just couldn't bond with my Record Doctor. Something about all the manual aspects of it just made cleaning feel like a chore. The idea of placing an LP in once to wash, and once to dry sounds mighty appealing in comparison!

Hey everybody,

Ended up with a nice Amazon gift card for Xmas, so I'm planning to use it toward a Humminguru. I plan to get the dust cover with the unit as I'll be keeping it in my (semi-finished) garage, but anything else I should order with it? I just use distilled water with it, correct?

I haven't looked at hardly any of the 145 other pages of this thread, so apologies as things will inevitably be repeated.

I just couldn't bond with my Record Doctor. Something about all the manual aspects of it just made cleaning feel like a chore. The idea of placing an LP in once to wash, and once to dry sounds mighty appealing in comparison!

Get a surfacant. Either the g sonic or their own should see you good!

Back