New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Anyone springing for the stylus cleaner? Ultrasonic cleaning of a stylus isn't anything I'm familiar with, so this is a bit of a curiosity.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.57.40 AM.png

Anyone springing for the stylus cleaner? Ultrasonic cleaning of a stylus isn't anything I'm familiar with, so this is a bit of a curiosity.

View attachment 156555
Yeah, I'm not going to be the first one to jump on this and risk jiggling my stylus to oblivion...

I received my HG on Wednesday, and not having any new inner sleeves to use I ran a recently cleaned record through just to make sure everything was working, and I am quite pleased with it, but was disappointed to see a few droplets still left on both records, even after an additional 5-minute drying cycle on top of the auto 2/5 cycle.

Someone elsewhere suggested a surfactant, and reading this very thread! Looking through, I see that Tergitol 15-S-9 has come up a lot, and I have found somewhere here in the UK to purchase it from. I was just wondering whether £23.20 for 250ml was a good price and if not, where people are getting their fluids from in the UK and what to recommend?

Looking forwards to giving it a proper run when my new sleeves arrive!

I received my HG on Wednesday, and not having any new inner sleeves to use I ran a recently cleaned record through just to make sure everything was working, and I am quite pleased with it, but was disappointed to see a few droplets still left on both records, even after an additional 5-minute drying cycle on top of the auto 2/5 cycle.

Someone elsewhere suggested a surfactant, and reading this very thread! Looking through, I see that Tergitol 15-S-9 has come up a lot, and I have found somewhere here in the UK to purchase it from. I was just wondering whether £23.20 for 250ml was a good price and if not, where people are getting their fluids from in the UK and what to recommend?

Looking forwards to giving it a proper run when my new sleeves arrive!
I would just acquire a bottle of Groovewasher G-Sonic. Simple and it works great.

Have you tried setting your unit to a 10-minute drying cycle to start using the toggle on the side of the unit? I’ve found the drying performance is highly dependent on the humidity levels in your home. During the summer I need the ten minute cycle, but now that winter has rolled in and the air is dry, five minutes does the trick.

I would just acquire a bottle of Groovewasher G-Sonic. Simple and it works great.

Have you tried setting your unit to a 10-minute drying cycle to start using the toggle on the side of the unit? I’ve found the drying performance is highly dependent on the humidity levels in your home. During the summer I need the ten minute cycle, but now that winter has rolled in and the air is dry, five minutes does the trick.

I find that the time of year affects that massively too. There’s such a high level of moisture in the air here in autumn/winter (well actually all year round but particularly autumn/winter) that it needs 10 minutes October-March but the rest of the year 5 is fine.

Thanks for your reply - I had a look at the G-Sonic too, but wanted to see if I could find something I could pick up here rather than ship from abroad. If nothing else turns up, I will definitely have another look.

I will try setting it to the 10-minute cycle when I give it a proper run over the weekend and see how things go.

Thanks for your reply - I had a look at the G-Sonic too, but wanted to see if I could find something I could pick up here rather than ship from abroad. If nothing else turns up, I will definitely have another look.

I will try setting it to the 10-minute cycle when I give it a proper run over the weekend and see how things go.
Echoing what @Joe Mac says, climate and time of year affects the drying. My drying times are all over the place depending on the season.

I use Tergitol but was able to find some from a member here in the US a few months back. If you go that route, should buy some disposable plastic syringes so you can put the proper amount into a gallon of distilled water.

Finally, my HG, comes here.

But I have the problem that it is stopped at customs and now the transport company, Fedex, asks me that I have to send them a release authorization signed by me, as well as other data.
They also inform me that it may be that now I have to pay more shipping costs than I have already paid. Has anyone else had this issue? Can't wait for you to come home!!
All the best.

Finally, my HG, comes here.

But I have the problem that it is stopped at customs and now the transport company, Fedex, asks me that I have to send them a release authorization signed by me, as well as other data.
They also inform me that it may be that now I have to pay more shipping costs than I have already paid. Has anyone else had this issue? Can't wait for you to come home!!
All the best.

Yes. It’s subject to EU VAT and customs charges on entry as an item from outside the EU. I think it cost me €99 in those when it arrived last year.

Si. Está sujeto al IVA de la UE ya los cargos de aduana al ingresar como un artículo desde fuera de la UE. Creo que me costó 99€ en esos cuando llegó el año pasado.

Gracias por una respuesta tan rápida Jose. ¿Entonces serían 99 euros más de lo que pagaste?

Gracias por una respuesta tan rápida Jose. ¿Entonces serían 99 euros más de lo que pagaste?

Yes it was. HumminGuru as a Hong Kong vendor don’t collect EU taxes so it is sent as a base price. On entry FedEx declare it to customs and pay the amount. In Ireland it is 23% VAT and 10% customs import duty. FedEx then billed that to me plus a €15 “brokerage and handling fee”. All in all worked out as about another €99 on top.

Yes it was. HumminGuru as a Hong Kong vendor don’t collect EU taxes so it is sent as a base price. On entry FedEx declare it to customs and pay the amount. In Ireland it is 23% VAT and 10% customs import duty. FedEx then billed that to me plus a €15 “brokerage and handling fee”. All in all worked out as about another €99 on top.

Damn Jose, your spanish is on fire

Back