New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

My first post on N&G, please go easy on me! 🙂 I'm posting here initially, because I've been a 'Guru owner for six months or so and have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread from Page 1 onward. I was perusing YT last evening and came across this video from Michael Fremer/Analog Planet - - detailing his first day at AXPONA 2022 this past weekend. About 30 minutes in, MF "interviews" Mr. Kirmuss regarding the latter's "record restoration" process which has apparently just been awarded a US Patent on some part ("resonance") of said process. I've never visited the Kirmuss website or researched his products. Am I correct, however, in saying that his views are somewhat "controversial" in the audiophile community? In any case, he dismisses (to be clear, not by name) the Audio Desk, the Degritter and the Humminguru RCM's as being not true ultrasonics, but rather mere "bubblers." (That's the word used by Kirmuss himself.) Just found the whole thing odd, that's all. And, thanks for reading my - overly long - first post! 😀

Have any of you all had problems with the rollers? I've probably cleaned ~40 records, and just noticed this afternoon that it's kind of stuttering. It'll spin for a second, stop for a second, spin a bit more, stop, and spin a bit more, etc. It's doing it during the clean and dry cycles.

I have not tried taking the rollers out yet, but I assume that's the culprit?

Have any of you all had problems with the rollers? I've probably cleaned ~40 records, and just noticed this afternoon that it's kind of stuttering. It'll spin for a second, stop for a second, spin a bit more, stop, and spin a bit more, etc. It's doing it during the clean and dry cycles.

Might be the record was cut smaller and the roller loses contact. There’s a fix that involves putting a piece of felt behind the other roller and putting it back in.

Might be the record was cut smaller and the roller loses contact. There’s a fix that involves putting a piece of felt behind the other roller and putting it back in.
Yeah, this. Is it happening with multiple records or just 1-2? I've cleaned over 800 records and it happened to me maybe 10 times.
Thanks guys.

It's done it twice now, but on LP1 and LP2 of the same album, so maybe both have the same issue? I'll try a different record later and see what happens.

Edit: Next record spins just fine. False alarm. Typical... Pete Rock & CL Smooth always did their own thing.

Last edited:

I've noticed it only happens with records with flat edges. I just fold up a paper towel to hold it a little tighter and seems to work fine.

My first post on N&G, please go easy on me! 🙂 I'm posting here initially, because I've been a 'Guru owner for six months or so and have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread from Page 1 onward. I was perusing YT last evening and came across this video from Michael Fremer/Analog Planet - - detailing his first day at AXPONA 2022 this past weekend. About 30 minutes in, MF "interviews" Mr. Kirmuss regarding the latter's "record restoration" process which has apparently just been awarded a US Patent on some part ("resonance") of said process. I've never visited the Kirmuss website or researched his products. Am I correct, however, in saying that his views are somewhat "controversial" in the audiophile community? In any case, he dismisses (to be clear, not by name) the Audio Desk, the Degritter and the Humminguru RCM's as being not true ultrasonics, but rather mere "bubblers." (That's the word used by Kirmuss himself.) Just found the whole thing odd, that's all. And, thanks for reading my - overly long - first post! 😀

Welcome!

My guess is that Kirmuss’ point is that the 70kHz they use is ultrasonic while the others don’t use as high a frequency so aren’t as good or have as good an effect. The HG works well for me! Would be interested to see how the Kirmuss works in comparison but I think it’s 2.5x the price of the HG.

Thanks guys.

It's done it twice now, but on LP1 and LP2 of the same album, so maybe both have the same issue? I'll try a different record later and see what happens.

Edit: Next record spins just fine. False alarm. Typical... Pete Rock & CL Smooth always did their own thing.
I had the same issue as you and what @folsom_lives pointed out was the issue for me. I cleaned an older album today and the record seemed too small so it wasn’t having enough contact with the rollers. I manually fed it/put a little pressure on it to make it spin. It’s only happened a few times though.

I think someone here used a small piece of folded up felt between the record and the edge of the cleaner to add the pressure on smaller discs

Reactions: mgp

Kirmuss is known to be an odd duck in audio circles. His products are reputed to work, but I wouldn’t give up a moment of sleep thinking you would get materially better performance than with a ‘guru.

Isn't ultrasonic defined as >20kHz? Does he have a more complex reason to claim that they aren't "true ultrasonics"? Sorry haven't had a chance to search for that in the video.

That's why I ask in case there is a better reason, since I'm no ultrasonic cleaning expert, didn't want to assume. If he's just saying, mine is ultra-er, therefore they aren't "real" makes it seem like it can't stand on facts alone.
I mostly find it weird that he disses both the 40khz Humminguru and 120khz Degritter even though he’s chosen a frequency somewhere in between. Pick a lane, man.

I mostly find it weird that he disses both the 40khz Humminguru and 120khz Degritter even though he’s chosen a frequency somewhere in between. Pick a lane, man.
Yeah I had a chance to get one of his cleaning machines at cost a few years back but his public shenanigans like this turned me off so much that I just bailed.

Here you go:

Back