New Music Friday!

Radar List for 12.1.23

DJ Haram – Handplay EP
Czarface – Czartificial Intelligence
Gonzalez Smith – Roll Up a Song
Muriel Grossman – Devotion
Khruangbin – Live at Sydney Opera House
Joe Armon-Jones & Mala – A Way Back (Versions)
Jazz Is Dead – Remixes JID020
We Owe – Major Inconvenience
Johanna Burnheart – Bär
Frida Kill – Kill! Kill!
Dweller – Dweller EP
Various – Moping in Style: A Tribute to Adam Green

Radar List 01/12/2023
Various Artists
Spectra Ex Machina: A Sound Anthology of Occult Phenomena 1920-2017 Vol.2 (EARLY ELECTRONIC / SOUNDTRACKS)
Charlemagne PalestineDINGGGDONGGGDINGGGZZZZZZZ FERRRR SSSOFTTT DIVINI TIESSSSS!!!!!!!!! (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
HUUUMHUUUM (JAZZ / FUSION, MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
OgivesLa Mémoire des Orages (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)

Another BANDCAMP FRIDAY

Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die ((world war)) by Jaimie Branch (RIP)

In July of 2022, just one month before jaimie branch’s death sent shockwaves around the world, the trumpet player and composer was in Chicago at International Anthem studios putting finishing touches on an album. It was a suite of music she had composed and then recorded with her flagship ensemble, Fly or Die, over the course of a residency at the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts in Omaha, Nebraska. In her wake, the album was near complete, with only mixing tweaks, final titles, and artwork to be fully realized. In the months following, her family (led by sister Kate Branch), her band (Jason Ajemian, Lester St. Louis, and Chad Taylor), and her collaborators at IARC banded together to gather memories, texts, emails, photographs, artwork and fragments belonging to jaimie to light the path forward. The goal was always to do what jaimie would have done. Packaged in stunning artwork by John Herndon, Damon Locks, and branch herself, Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die ((world war)) is jaimie’s final album with her Fly or Die quartet.

Previous two weeks, but barely listened to anything on the week of Thanksgiving. Last update in this thread for the year. Currently shifting to relistening to my top50 candidates for the year and will not be listening to December releases at this time.

🔥
  • Lemon Quartet - ArtsFest [gorgeous ambient jazz, led by underground favorite G.S. Schray. Last Resort with a wonderful rebound after a few so-so releases. This will have a more than fair chance to be one of the scant jazz releases on my top50]
👍
  • Blockhead - The Aux [production is solid, as expected. A cavalcade of excellent emcees coupled with enjoyable (sometimes unspectacular) tracks]
  • Danny Brown - Quaranta [quality, consistent, cohesive]
  • Hotline TNT - Cartwheel [got nervous when I saw "slacker rock" in the genre description. Sounds more like a shoegaze/indie hybrid. Pretty good, if a bit familiar. Enjoyable front to back, no song overstays its welcome. Would probably sound better live]
  • Roy Werner - Imagine My Surprise [Moon Glyph has had a great year. Oh, and former BandCamp album of the day you say? Well would ya look at that]
🤷‍♂️
  • André 3000 - New Blue Sun [Rudy Giuliani, probably: "Oh m¥ goodness! All the flutesongs! WoOoOoOoW!!!! *sudden outstretched arms* All the flutesongs! We have to forget about the song titles!"]
  • Hilary Woods - Acts of Light [Totally fine. An entirely dark ambient effort, yet unspectacular. I don't like how these songs aren't long enough to build an atmosphere]
👎
  • Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (Drumless Version) [it is musical edging. I see hypotheses of those saying this was made for DJs and those who want to play along to create their own drum fills. Well, in the case of the former, if you are using Daft Punk in a DJ set, the set likely isn't t r y i n g t o o h a r d begin with. In reality, this is the latest installment of Columbia's shameless ways to making a quick buck]
🤮

None.

Radar List 08/12/2023
COLORIST
Overcloseness (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
Barry Bermange, Delia Derbyshire, BBC Radiophonic WorkshopInventions for Radio (ELECTRONIC / ELECTRO)
Carsten NicolaiRay Collector (EXPERIMENTAL / AVANT-GARDE / SOUND ART / FIELD)
Full of HellGarden of Burning Apparitions (METAL / NOISE / INDUSTRIAL / EXTREME)
Masayuki TakayanagiMass Hysterism in Another Situation (EXPERIMENTAL / AVANT-GARDE / SOUND ART / FIELD)
Pointe du LacLes siphonophores des eaux froides et profondes de l'Arctique (DRONE / KOSMISCHE / MINIMAL)

Radar List for 12.8.23

Blue Öyster Cult – 50th Anniversary Live: First Night
Blu & Nottz – Afrika
HEALTH – Rat Wars
JJJJJerome Ellis – Compline in Nine Movements
Carrie Frey - Seagrass: Works for Solo Viola
Porcupine Tree – CLOSURE/CONTINUATION.LIVE
body/negative – Everett
Various – The Faithful: A Tribute to Marianne Faithfull
Various – Burn on the Bayou: A Heavy Underground Tribute to Creedence Clearwater Revival

Radar List for 12.8.23

Blue Öyster Cult – 50th Anniversary Live: First Night
Blu & Nottz – Afrika
HEALTH – Rat Wars
JJJJJerome Ellis – Compline in Nine Movements
Carrie Frey - Seagrass: Works for Solo Viola
Porcupine Tree – CLOSURE/CONTINUATION.LIVE
body/negative – Everett
Various – The Faithful: A Tribute to Marianne Faithfull
Various – Burn on the Bayou: A Heavy Underground Tribute to Creedence Clearwater Revival
I got vinyl shopping notices on three of these so far 😁

Of course most of my favourite cuts from the FULL 3h 13min Willie Nelson at 90 show aren't on the vinyl release... :rolleyes:

Some places do list it as Vol. 1, so maybe they will do a Vol. 2. I'd prefer a full box set, to be honest.

Either way, what a great show - would have been a stellar experience to be there!

*also, some Neil Young on Stupify thanks to this release 😲 #scandal

Walter Martin put out an album today. If you like Walt, this'll maybe be up your alley.

Concert at Coco’s is a family party record inspired mostly by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, Trini Lopez and that 90’s garage band from California called The Mummies.

I listened to this one this morning and really dig the album. It expectedly has the feel of a very loose Walkmen-esque jam session feel to it. It also inspired me to pull up his last studio album The Bear which was excellent too.

Back