New Music Friday!

Wasn’t aware there was a tribute record being released. I’ll have to check it out.

i did get that Nanci box set that was just released from Craft, that features her pre-MCA records. Seems Nanci is getting a little spotlight right now, which I’m more than fine with.
I believe Craft is behind the tribute as well.

Another RBF Alert ⚠️

This one dropped two weeks ago on Sept 8th. The first full length from the Brazilian death metal duo  Fossilization called Leprous Daylight. This is some of the nastiest death metal I've heard all year 🤘

Bleach Lab's 🧪 debut album Lost In A Rush Of Emptiness is pretty good as far as debut LPs go! I've only been following the London Quartet for a about a minute but to be fair, they only formed 🔙 in 2017 and have only released 3 EPs since their inception. They are not reinventing the 🛞 here but their brand of dreamy, shimmery, atmospheric pop, introspective lyrics and gorgeous vocals makes for a compelling and immersive listen 🎧 For fans of Cocteau Twins, Mazzy Star and ethereal dream-pop.

I don't think it made any radar lists at the time (August 4), but I recently learned about this album, and there are some really strong songs on it. The artist is a cellist. Despite the album's name, it's not shoegaze - although hints certainly exist - it's more cello infused experimental indie pop, if i had to label it. Check out the track The Sandcastle, which is excellent imo.

alice does computer music - Shoegaze 5G (experimental pop i guess?)

Radar List for 9.29.23

Matana Roberts – Coin Coin Chapter Five: In The Garden...
Jorja Smith –
Falling or Flying
Ghost Train Orchestra & Kronos Quartet – Songs and Symphoniques: The Music of Moondog
Armand Hammer – We Buy Diabetic Test Strips
Asynchrone – Plastic Bamboo
Eric Hilton – Corazón Kintsugi
Charles Wesley Godwin – Family Ties
Dennis Ellsworth – Modern Hope
Darius Jones – fLuXkit Vancouver (i̶t̶s suite but sacred)
Razen – Hier l'An 4000
Chouk Bwa & The Ångströmers –
Somanti
Pachyman – Switched-On
The Orb & David Gilmour – Metallic Spheres in Colour
Gangar – Stubb
Charley Crockett – Live from The Ryman
Fat Freddy’s Drop - Blackbird Returns
Defcee – The Golem of Brooklyn (Original Soundtrack)
Kamaal Williams – Stings
Jeremiah Chiu – In Electric Time
Blonde Redhead – Sit Down for Dinner
Animal Collective – Isn’t It Now?
Wilco – Cousin
LP – Love Lines
EMILE – Spirit
No-No Boy – Empire Electric
Wolves in the Throne Room – Crypt of Ancestral Knowledge EP

I don't think it made any radar lists at the time (August 4), but I recently learned about this album, and there are some really strong songs on it. The artist is a cellist. Despite the album's name, it's not shoegaze - although hints certainly exist - it's more cello infused experimental indie pop, if i had to label it. Check out the track The Sandcastle, which is excellent imo.

This one is Nola approved. Thanks for this rec!

Very cool. Thanks for the heads up!

Didn't see any mention of this one here, but it was featured in Bandcamp Daily's essential new releases post on Friday and I think there are a number of folks around here who would dig it. Was a nice follow-up to an afternoon of Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth and Pavement over here!

Math-y psych-y post-punk indie art rock outta Portland.

Hey @Lee Newman, you get a chance to check this one out yet?

Finally getting around to this. Was focused on the box when this was announced. Wish I had paid attention to the track listing here. Just the people that are on it tell me it's gonna be pretty damn good. Start off with Jarosz and end with War and Treaty, sounds like a winner to me!

I was just getting into a rhythm again with new music and then I got the MDC2 and I've just been enjoying digging around in Qobuz and listening to high quality streaming through the set up. (This is also not helping with getting through my vinyl backlog). Qobuz is great and it's been interesting hearing music sound better through my real basic set up at work. Real tempted to get a set of Klipsch fives for the office, but I'm gonna work on the home system first. the Ecoxgear is just fine for background music.

Don’t sleep on this Molly Burch album folks! I got the vinyl in last weekend already and it’s a banger. She’s cornered the 80s sophisticated pop market with this one. The Wild Nothing influence is undeniable which has me existed for their album too. Incredible vibes.

Don’t sleep on this Molly Burch album folks! I got the vinyl in last weekend already and it’s a banger. She’s cornered the 80s sophisticated pop market with this one. The Wild Nothing influence is undeniable which has me existed for their album too. Incredible vibes.
Waiting for mine to arrive. I liked all of the advance singles quite a bit. This newer direction really suits her well.

Waiting for mine to arrive. I liked all of the advance singles quite a bit. This newer direction really suits her well.
Yeah I was thinking how different this sounds from the first record she put out. Record by record she’s gotten to this point gradually. I’m always worried she’ll go full pop but this is not it, it’s poppy but is not radio pop.

Yeah I was thinking how different this sounds from the first record she put out. Record by record she’s gotten to this point gradually. I’m always worried she’ll go full pop but this is not it, it’s poppy but is not radio pop.
Her first record had a strong Angel Olsen vibe. And there’s nothing wrong with that at all. But I feel like she’s gradually shifted to the music that really fits her the best, which has been cool to see.

Last edited:
Her first record had a strong Angel Olsen vibe. And there’s nothing wrong with that at all. But I feel like she’s gradually shifted to the music that really fits her the best, which has beecool to see.
I still think I like her first one best overall. But I agree that she’s moving in a good direction. I can’t get over how much this sounds like a Wild Nothing album (who I absolutely love, and who produced this album) so this one could eventually take the top spot.

Back