Lý Trang – Syenite
Taxi Girls – Coming Up Roses
The Far Outs – The Far Outs
Tony Allen – JID018
Penguin Cafe – Rain Before Seven…
Grouplove – I Want It All Right Now
Emma Ruth Rundle – Live at Roadburn 2022
Blackbraid – Blackbraid II
Daniel Carter, Leo Genovese, William Parker & Francisco Mela – Shine Hear, Vol. 1

Radar List 07/07/2023
Diego Gaeta
- Fearlessly Accessing The Divine Spirit From Here On Out (JAZZ / FUSION)
Soshi Takeda - Same Place, Another Time (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Saloli - Canyon (ELECTRONIC)
Sara Oswald & Feldermelder - Dual | Duel (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Svitlana Nianio & Tom James Scott - Eye of the Sea (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Mary Jane Leach - Woodwind Multiples (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Jim O'Rourke - Hands That Bind (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (POP/ROCK)
Oren Ambarchi & Eric Thielemans - Double Consciousness (AVANT-GARDE / ELECTRONIC / POP/ROCK / JAZZ)
Läuten der Seele - Ertrunken im seichtesten Gewässer (EXPERIMENTAL / AVANT-GARDE / SOUND ART / FIELD)
SDEM - VORTICES (ELECTRONIC / ELECTRO / IDM / EBM)
shedir - Before The Last Light Is Blown (AMBIENT / DOWNTEMPO / DREAMPOP / ELECTRONIC / ELECTRO / IDM / EBM)

I don't see this on anyone's list from last week, but it is a delight. It will for sure be my highest ranked new release this week and may be the only thing that knocks Bluey Dancemode from its current 1 slot from keeping cranky toddler happy during car rides this weekend:

I don't see this on anyone's list from last week, but it is a delight. It will for sure be my highest ranked new release this week and may be the only thing that knocks Bluey Dancemode from its current 1 slot from keeping cranky toddler happy during car rides this weekend:

I will have to listen to this one in full later. I just gave a listen to a few seconds of a couple of tracks, is it more vocal orchestra? I wouldn’t think that would be my cup of tea, but I’ll have to give it a shot.

I will have to listen to this one in full later. I just gave a listen to a few seconds of a couple of tracks, is it more vocal orchestra? I wouldn’t think that would be my cup of tea, but I’ll have to give it a shot.
most of it is just orchestral, but there are vocal ones as well. I think the vocal ones (with actual lyrics) are all marked by what version they are... I could be wrong. I kind of just get lost in it, to be honest.

Here's my selection for the current week and for tomorrow. Happy listening everybody 🎶🙂🎧 sorry for my delay in posting, I try to get it regularly again

June 30th

The Japanese House "In The End It Always Does" (Dream pop; indie pop; electropop; yacht rock)

Nothing But Thieves "Dead Club City" (Indie Pop)

The Alchemist "Flying High" (Hip Hop)

bdrmm "I Don't Know" (Shoegaze, Indie Rock)

Joanna Sternberg "I’ve Got Me" (Folk)

Lil Uzi Vert "Pink Tape" (Rap)

Olivia Dean "Messy" (Pop, Folk, Blues)

Do Nothing "Snake Sideways" (Psychedelic Indie Rock)

Divide and Dissolve "Systemic" (Heavy Metal)

Sweeping Promises "Good Living Is Coming for You" (Post-Punk, Art Punk)

Brigid Mae Power "Dream From The Deep Well" (Indie Folk)

Hayden Pedigo "The Happiest Times I Ever Ignored" (Folk, Country)

Lucinda Williams "Stories From a Rock n Roll Heart" (Americana, Country Folk)

John Carroll Kirby "Blowout" (Jazz,New Age, Soul, Electronic)

Loma Prieta "Last" (Heavy Matal)

NONE "Inevitable" (Black Metal)

Chester Watson "fish don’t climb trees" (Hip Hop, Lo Fi)

July 7th

PJ Harvey "I Inside the Old Year Dying" (Alternative rock; punk blues; art rock; indie rock; folk rock; avant-rock)

Jim O'Rourke "Hands That Bind (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)" (Jazz, Noise, Drone)

Local Natives "Time Will Wait For No One" (Indie Rock)

Little Dragon "Slugs of Love" ( Synthpop, Dream Pop, Trip-Hop, Downtempo, Indietronica, Neo-Soul)

ANOHNI and The Johnsons "My Back Was a Bridge for You to Cross" (Art pop; chamber pop; avant-pop)

Gabriels "Angels & Queens - Part II" (Gospel · doo-wop · jazz · R&B )

Dominic Fike "Sunburn" (Alternative hip hop; rap rock)

Alice Phoebe Lou "Shelter" ( Indie pop; Indie folk)

Julie Byrne "The Greater Wings" (Folk, Country)

New Julie Byrne is okay, probably a grower. I think she thrives when it's just her and a guitar. Her voice is very soft, the music in this new album is very soft, so the whole thing feels very delecate. The music and her voice don't contrast that much. It sounds way more like Weyes Blood than it does Julie Byrne. So if you're a big Weyes Blood fan you might like this one a little bit.

New Julie Byrne is okay, probably a grower. I think she thrives when it's just her and a guitar. Her voice is very soft, the music in this new album is very soft, so the whole thing feels very delecate. The music and her voice don't contrast that much. It sounds way more like Weyes Blood than it does Julie Byrne. So if you're a big Weyes Blood fan you might like this one a little bit.
This album has undertones of grief and heartache 💔 Having just lost my Dad on Father's Day it really hits me in the feels 😭

Radar List for 7.14.23

Haviah Mighty – Crying Crystals
Various Artists – Red Hot & Ra: Nuclear War REMIXES EP
John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy – Evenings at the Village Gate
Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog – Connection
Being Dead – When Horses Would Run
Peace Flag Ensemble – Astral Plains
Alaska Reid – Disenchanter
Colter Wall – Little Songs
Paul Langlois Band – Guess What
Lo Village – Yellow Brick Road
Night Beats – Rajan
IDMAN – Risk EP
Kool & the Gang – People Just Wanna Have Fun
Gordon Lightfoot – At Royal Albert Hall
Cinema Cinema – Mjölnir

I love his scores for those Ghibli films so I really need to listen to this. I knew it was coming, but I didn't realize it already came out. i have the original score for Kiki on vinyl, which is one of my favorites.

Radar List 14/07/2023
Lindstrøm
- Everyone Else Is A Stranger (DISCO / BOOGIE / FUNK)
Giovanni Di Domenico - Succo di formiche (JAZZ / FUSION)
John Coltrane - Evenings At The Village Gate: John Coltrane with Eric Dolphy (JAZZ / FUSION)
Marc Ribot, Ceramic Dog - Connection (jazz improvisation improvisational noise-art noise rock post-punk post-rock New York)

I think the one album I'm excited for that I'm not seeing on the July 14 lists yet is:

Natural Wonder Beauty Concept - Natural Wonder Beauty Concept

This is a collaboration between DY Python and Ana Roxanne. A third single was released today and they have all been very interesting electronic and vocal productions.

Last edited:
Just a handful over the last two weeks. What am I missing that I should try?

🔥
  • Geese - 3D Country [recklessly entertaining. It's a wild cross section of post-punk talk-singing tropes (Squid; Black Country, New Road), alt-country twang (Black Crowes, Ween) and guitar craftiness (Television, The Strokes). This gave me geesebumps through the majority of listening. A much better venture than an unlistenable singular GoOsE]
👍
  • The Alchemist - Flying High (EP) [the usual suspects on here, with some easygoing production]
  • Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings [it does its job well; beautiful, airy, dreamy. Julie's best work, improving on her songwriting, atmospheric soundscapes, and vocal control. Here's the thing though...Lucinda Chua's debut album was released more than three months earlier this year and better showcases all of these aspects, with instrumentals that I feel are more grand and moving. For that reason alone, it is hard for me to prefer this record to Chua's. While a good song, I do feel that "Summer Glass" is a bit out of place solely from its instrumental. I don't mean all of that to say I wouldn't want to see Julie perform live in Portland later this year...I will be contemplating buying a cheapie ticket over the upcoming weeks. I'll be listening to this one a few more times and might change my opinion to land in the high tier]
  • Estrella del Sol - Figura de Cristal [thanks, @nolalady]
  • Serpent Of Old - Ensemble Under the Dark Sun [same to you, @musicjunkiegreg]
🤷‍♂️
  • Blue Lake - Sun Arcs [seriously, P4K? So called "Best New Music?" Someone was paid off]
  • PJ Harvey - I Inside the Old Year Dying [unsure and unimpressed. The good? Vocal performance and a few interesting instrumental passages. The not so good? Underwhelming songwriting and track sequencing. It doesn't sound fully realized. Out of respect for Polly, the new album will be placed here, as she is one of my top50 all time. I expected better though]
  • Taylor Swift - Speak Now (Taylor's Version) [1hr45min of Tswift is a bit much for one man to take in one sitting. A few songs had me saying to myself "oh fuck, I haven't heard this since high school!" On the whole, I'm just whelmed...with the vault songs being uninspiring filler]
👎

None.​

🤮

None.​

Here's my selection for today. Happy listening everybody 🎶🙂🎵

Claud "Supermodels" (Bedroom Pop)

Mahalia "IRL" (Alternative R&B; contemporary R&B; Neo Soul)

glaive "i care so much that i dont care at all" (Hyperpop; digicore; pop)

PVRIS "EVERGREEN" (Electropop; synth-pop; alternative rock; pop rock)

Colter Wall "Little Songs" (Western; country; folk)

Chamber "A Love To Kill For" (Metal, Hardcore)

Sally Potter "Pink Bikini" (Folk)

J Hus "Beautiful and Brutal Yard" (UK Rap)

Being Dead "When Horses Would Run" (Surf Rock, Freak Pop)

Alaska Reid "Disenchanter" (Folk-pop; indie rock)

Blake Mills "Jelly Road" (Indie Folk, Chamber Folk , Rock)

Rita Ora "YOU & I" (Pop)

Lo Village "Yellow Brick Road" (Hip Hop)

Moodring "YOUR LIGHT FADES AWAY EP" (Nu Metal, Alternative Metal)

Far Caspian "The Last Remaining Light" (Indie Pop, Indie Rock, Art Pop)

Geese - 3D Country [recklessly entertaining. It's a wild cross section of post-punk talk-singing tropes (Squid; Black Country, New Road), alt-country twang (Black Crowes, Ween) and guitar craftiness (Television, The Strokes). This gave me geesebumps through the majority of listening. A much better venture than an unlistenable singular GoOsE]
Really glad to see you liking their work. I really enjoyed their 2021 album Projector and had seen them play in a small club in Cologne, where just about twenty people did come to see them and I thought they're so good live, they deserve a lot more success. I haven't listened to their new album yet, but will do so the next days.

Really glad to see you liking their work. I really enjoyed their 2021 album Projector and had seen them play in a small club in Cologne, where just about twenty people did come to see them and I thought they're so good live, they deserve a lot more success. I haven't listened to their new album yet, but will do so the next days.
Geese are coming here to Portland in late October! I might spring for a ticket if my scheduling works out.

Back