New Music Friday!

Radar List 23/06/2023
GRAHAM LAMBKIN
- Aphorisms (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Black Duck - Black Duck (INDIE / ALTERNATIVE)
Not Waving - The Place I've Been Missing (ELECTRONIC)
ARTHUR RUSSELL - Picture of Bunny Rabbit (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
SWANS - The Beggar (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
Shida Shahabi - Living Circle (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
El Khat - Saadia Jefferson (African / Asian / Latin / Traditional / World)
Kleistwahr - Don't Let Go: Complete Kleistwahr 1982 – 1986 (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
Selvhenter - Mesmerizer (Experimental / Avant-garde / Sound Art / Field)

BALMORHEA - Pendant World (Modern Classical)
ZAKE - Orchestral Tape Studies II (Ambient/Drone)

Radar List 23/06/2023
GRAHAM LAMBKIN
- Aphorisms (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
Black Duck - Black Duck (INDIE / ALTERNATIVE)
Not Waving - The Place I've Been Missing (ELECTRONIC)
ARTHUR RUSSELL - Picture of Bunny Rabbit (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
SWANS - The Beggar (DARK AMBIENT / DRONE / METAL)
Shida Shahabi - Living Circle (MODERN CLASSICAL / AMBIENT)
El Khat - Saadia Jefferson (African / Asian / Latin / Traditional / World)
Kleistwahr - Don't Let Go: Complete Kleistwahr 1982 – 1986 (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
Selvhenter - Mesmerizer (Experimental / Avant-garde / Sound Art / Field)
You always have a good eye for Ambient releases! Do you have a source or where to learn of new releases? I never know when something is coming out

Not that anyone asked for it (or that anyone cares, lol), but I felt like posting my recap of my most anticipated of this Friday's releases (June 16, 2023). Surely, it's one of the best release day Fridays of 2023 for me ✊

After 6 full listens already, the new King Gizzard is, arguably, my favourite metal album of the year right now (and a current Top5 album overall for me... yeah, it's that good) and the band's best since 2016's Nonagon Infinity.

In a year that's produced several excellent rap/hip-hop albums so far (JPEGMAFIA & Danny Brown, McKinley Dixon, Sleaford Mods, and billy woods & Kenny Segal), the new Killer Mike album definitely stands tall along side them.

The sophomore release from duo Man On Man, called  Provincetown, is an excellent follow-up to their RBF debut from 2021. I can easily see this one placing pretty high on my year end list, at least based on the 3 full listens I've given it so far.

Sigur Rós' first album in 10 years, ÁTTA, is a beautiful listen for sure. I need some more time with this one though.

Caterina Barbieri's new album Myuthafoo is a sister record to her 2019 album. This new one is only 6 tracks and sits at just 30 minutes, and, although not her best work, it's another solid release from the Italian electronic composer.

The new QOTSA is, unfortunately, the one big let down for me. Idk, just found myself immediately bored with this one and the boredom only stayed 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Radar List for 6.2.23

McKinley Dixon - Beloved! Paradise! Jazz!?
WITCH – Zango
Bob Dylan – Shadow Kingdom
Cowboy Junkies – Such Ferocious Beauty
Ben Folds – What Matters Most
Speakers Corner Quartet – Further Out Than The Edge
Brandt Brauer Frick – Multi Faith Prayer Room
Tanya Tucker – Sweet Western Sound
Meredith Bates - Tesseract
Louise Post – Sleepwalker
Laura Wolf – Shelf Life
Surprise Chief – Friendship EP
Ruen Brothers - Ten Paces
Bongzilla – Dab City
Rancid – Tomorrow Never Comes
Ben Harper – WIDE OPEN LIGHT
What did you (and others) think of the new Ben Folds?

What did you (and others) think of the new Ben Folds?

I really liked it. Far more than expected. There are a lot of mighty fine lyrics on that record.

Any other month this year it would've landed in my monthly top 9, but this month is so stacked that it's currently sitting just below the cut line.

I still hope to pick up a copy at some point, and plan to spend more time with it on Stupify sooner than later.

More good than bad. Please tell me that the new Swans is gonna be great...please

🔥
  • Brendan Eder Ensemble - Therapy [omg thank u for turning me onto this, MP! Chamber jazz with some neoclassical(ish) elements, and even a pair of Aphex Twin covers? 👨‍🍳💋] {released in Q1}
  • maya ongaku - Approach to Anima [thanks very much, @DownIsTheNewUp]
👍
  • Caterina Barbieri - Myuthafoo [good, though not quite as transcendent as last year's Spirit Exit (or any of her past work, for that matter)]
  • Clark - Sus Dog [recommended for The Smile listeners]
  • Decisive Pink - Ticket to Fame [Kate NV is a new art pop love, and I found this debut to be a cute experiment alongside fellow art pop femme Deradoorian. I had this in 🔥 initially, but moved down after thinking about a few tracks that didn't quite gel]
  • Greg Foat x Gigi Masin - Dolphin [I don't think I've heard a Gigi Masin LP that I didn't like]
  • Killer Mike - MICHAEL
  • Torture Rack - Primeval Onslaught
🤷‍♂️
  • Boris x Uniform - Bright New Disease [when it comes to Boris, their albums are either excellent, or just fine. Lately, more of the latter]
  • Sigur Rós - ÁTTA [somehow did very little for me overall]
👎
  • Thy Catafalque - Alföld [I feel this is too static and straightforward. Not especially keen on how folk and black metal are implemented in a patchy manner; they exist separately and have close to no synergy. Also, yet another instance of electronic interludes seeping into metal music on "Folyondár," things like that make my skin crawl. Was hoping for something more engrossing but, alas]
🤮
  • Smashing Pumpkins - ATUM [2hr and 18min of a hybrid of uninspiring alt rock and third-rate synthpop. The songs themselves aren't necessarily bad, but virtually all of them are wholly boring by means of hubris and overindulgence, which is arguably worse. Ultimately, this "rock opera" raises questions. Why do the majority of the songs have cheap sounding synth intros/outros? How many times does Corgan need to mention "love," or alterations on it? WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE SO LONG? You said it best, Lee! As for you Corgan, fucking christ, please stop...fuck you as well for firing my friend Mike Byrne from the group after the Oceania era concluded]

More good than bad. Please tell me that the new Swans is gonna be great...please

🔥
  • Brendan Eder Ensemble - Therapy [omg thank u for turning me onto this, MP! Chamber jazz with some neoclassical(ish) elements, and even a pair of Aphex Twin covers? 👨‍🍳💋] {released in Q1}
  • maya ongaku - Approach to Anima [thanks very much, @DownIsTheNewUp]
👍
  • Caterina Barbieri - Myuthafoo [good, though not quite as transcendent as last year's Spirit Exit (or any of her past work, for that matter)]
  • Clark - Sus Dog [recommended for The Smile listeners]
  • Decisive Pink - Ticket to Fame [Kate NV is a new art pop love, and I found this debut to be a cute experiment alongside fellow art pop femme Deradoorian. I had this in 🔥 initially, but moved down after thinking about a few tracks that didn't quite gel]
  • Greg Foat x Gigi Masin - Dolphin [I don't think I've heard a Gigi Masin LP that I didn't like]
  • Killer Mike - MICHAEL
  • Torture Rack - Primeval Onslaught
🤷‍♂️
  • Boris x Uniform - Bright New Disease [when it comes to Boris, their albums are either excellent, or just fine. Lately, more of the latter]
  • Sigur Rós - ÁTTA [somehow did very little for me overall]
👎
  • Thy Catafalque - Alföld [I feel this is too static and straightforward. Not especially keen on how folk and black metal are implemented in a patchy manner; they exist separately and have close to no synergy. Also, yet another instance of electronic interludes seeping into metal music on "Folyondár," things like that make my skin crawl. Was hoping for something more engrossing but, alas]
🤮
  • Smashing Pumpkins - ATUM [2hr and 18min of a hybrid of uninspiring alt rock and third-rate synthpop. The songs themselves aren't necessarily bad, but virtually all of them are wholly boring by means of hubris and overindulgence, which is arguably worse. Ultimately, this "rock opera" raises questions. Why do the majority of the songs have cheap sounding synth intros/outros? How many times does Corgan need to mention "love," or alterations on it? WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE SO LONG? You said it best, Lee! As for you Corgan, fucking christ, please stop...fuck you as well for firing my friend Mike Byrne from the group after the Oceania era concluded]

That Clark album is great.

Please tell me that the new Swans is gonna be great...please
I don't want to leave any spoilers here... If you're familiar with Swans, then you know what you're in for. I don't think we will get another The Seer or another To Be Kind again.. What I can say is that this seems like one of Gira's most personal albums (maybe it is his most personal?). The Beggar seems like end. Maybe the last Swans album? Either way, this one is gonna take a few listens to fully ingest and digest.

Blue Lake's last album Stikling is amazing as well, and I would say I prefer it to Sun Arcs so far. I actually played his last album on my podcast episode last week I loved it so much.

Also if you can track it down on vinyl, it is a stellarrrrrrr pressing.

Wow the leap from that first Geese album to 3D Country is pretty remarkable. I didn't get super into their debut, but this new album is really great. It's weird, wild, all over the place, sometimes dense, and just super fun. I mean I'm one listen in, but I think this could be a real highlight from the year.

Radar List for 6.30.23

Lucinda Williams – Stories From a Rock n Roll Heart
Mong Tong 夢東 – Tao Fire 道火
Tyshawn Sorey Trio – Continuing EP
Asuka Kakitani – Twelve Months in Minnesota
Akira Kosemura – SEASONS
Johnny Eaton – Here’s The Thing
Dota Kehr – In Der Fernsten Der Fernen: Dota Kehr singt Mascha
Ash Walker – Astronaut
Frank Zappa – Funky Nothingness
Phi-Psonics – Octava
Graves – Gary Owens: I Have Some Thoughts