New Music Friday!

Radar 📡 List for Friday June 16, 2023:

Hand Habits - Sugar the Bruise (EP)
Killer Mike - Michael
King Gizzard & The Lizard WizardPetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation
Queens of the Stone Age - In Times New Roman
Sigur Rós - ÀTTA

Again, not overly impressed through this month so far. Some enjoyable, yes, but few that I'd return to.

🔥
  • Boldy James x ChanHays - Prisoner of Circumstance (EP) [the best EP he's ever dropped. Solid bars, cold flows, wonderful production. 227!]
  • Jess Williamson - Time Ain't Accidental [see? I do enjoy some Americana. Just as good as (if not better than)  Sorceress. I ❤️ U]
👍
  • Amaarae - Fountain Baby
  • ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - "Darling the Dawn" [I can see why I like this...one of the dudes from GY!BE is involved. Pleasant post-rock side project. Thanks, @nolalady]
  • Jeromes Dream - The Gray in Between [one of the RYM/Fantano hypebeast recommendations that I'm a month late to. Nice pocket of screamo/noise rock endorphins. Might give this one a few more tries but not overly blown away]
  • King Krule - Space Heavy [an ominous, alien atmosphere in a slowcore context. Good, but doesn't necessarily keep me on the edge of my seat]
  • Speaker's Corner Quartet - Further Out Than the Edge
🤷‍♂️
  • Feeble Little Horse - Girl With Fish [just listened to this one after seeing that it was given recent Pitchfork BNM praise. Seeing the genre tag "slacker rock" had me nervous...but it's tolerably enjoyable. Better than most I've tried in the genre, and although I thought about the tier above, nah]
  • Jenny Lewis - Joy'All
  • Janelle Monáe - The Age of Pleasure [for an album all about fulfilling desires and expressing sexual inhibitions as vociferously as Janelle does, combined with their notable artistic vision from the past three album cycles, you would think that the musical ideas and decisions here would be far more ambitious and take more risks. The record only making it to the 32min mark is a head-scratcher, combined with nearly half of the tracklist at less than 2min a pop. Not impressed with this outing. Given Janelle's frustrating release schedule and occasional actress roles, might be until 2030 until a new one drops]
  • Squid - O Monolith [this really fuckin' hurts. Bright Green Field was my favorite album released in '21 and is one that I feel confident will be viewed as one of the best of the decade when all is said and done. This comes nowhere close to the thrills or quality exhibited there. I can't think of one song on O Monolith that energizes me like "Narrator" or "Pamphlets" does. My view of the band is tainted, my disappointment is immeasurable, and I am a broken man]
  • This is the Kit - Careful of Your Keepers
👎
  • Panchiko - Falied at Math(s)
  • Youth Lagoon - Heaven is a Junkyard [more like this album. What the hell, Pitchfork?]
🤮
  • Jonas Brothers - The Album [listened to this against better judgment. Truly the epitome of BuffaloWildWingsCore; contemporary dreck obnoxiously blasted in a dive bar/sports bar while you impatiently wait for the waitress to hand you the check to save you after regretting being dragged out by a friend for a last minute night out]

Hey friends, wanted to post this here for anyone who wants a more hands off approach to New Music Friday. I started a podcast on Spotify that plays like an existential radio show. Spotify allows the embedding of songs and albums into podcasts now, which means right after I finish talking it transitions directly into music and you can save whatever stands out to your collections/playlists directly from the app!

• Every week I share a song to study and an album to live in
• The album is typically a contemporary release from the last few months/weeks. I try to cut through the noise of all the different releases and highlight which to me is special out of the bunch. I'm a few weeks behind in terms of being up to date with all the new releases but eventually I will catch up and it will be a perfect companion to this thread!
• Only catch is you have to listen to me ramble for 10-20 minutes pre-music heheh

Give it a listen and a follow if you're interested. Any support means the world, going to try and put this out weekly!

Here's my late selection for the current release week. Happy listening everybody 🎶🙂🎵

Squid "O Monolith" ( Post-punk; experimental rock; new wave; post rock; krautrock; ambient)

Spoon "Memory Dust" (Alternative Rock, Indie-Rock)

Janelle Monáe "The Age of Pleasure" (R&B; pop; funk; psychedelic soul; hip hop; progressive soul)

Christine and the Queens "PARANOÏA, ANGELS, TRUE LOVE" (Pop; synth-pop; art pop; electropop; indie pop; experimental pop)

King Krule "Space Heavy" Indie rock; jazz fusion; post-punk; hip hop; electronic; avant-rock; trip hop)

Feeble Little Horse "Girl With Fish" (Noise Pop, Slacker Rock)

Niall Horan "The Show" Pop; soft rock; folk-pop; pop rock)

James "Be Opened By The Wonderful" (Indie pop; Madchester; alternative rock; Britpop)

Gengahr "Red Sun Titans" Dream pop; indie rock; psychedelic rock)

Aja Monet "when the poems do what they do" (Jazz)

Dudu Tassa &Johnny Greenwood "Jarak Qaribak" (Afrobeat, Experimental Rock)

Jenny Lewis "Joy'all" ( Indie rock, alternative country, indie folk)

Jess Williamson "Time Ain't Accidental" (Singer-Songwriter, Americana, Indie Folk)

Sunami "SUNAMI (L.P.)" (Heavy Metal)

Youth Lagoon "Heaven Is a Junkyard" (Dream Pop, Bedroom Pop, Indie Pop, Psychedelic Pop, Indietronica, Art Pop)

Boldy James & ChanHays "Prisoner of Circumstance" (Hip Hop)

SoFaygo "Go+" (Hip Hop)

Decisive Pink "Ticket to Fame" (French Synthpop)

Dream Wife "Social Lubrication" (Pop Punk, Indie Rock)

TEKE::TEKE "Hagata" (Psychedelic Rock)

Anna St. Louis "In the air" (Folk, Country)

Sarah Kinsley "Ascension" (Pop)

This Is The Kit "Careful Of Your Keepers" (Alternative rock; Folk rock)

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit "We
athervanes" (Country)

And here's my selection for tomorrow, June 16th, happy listening everybody 🎶🙂🎵

Queens of the Stone Age "In Times New Roman..." (Stoner Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock)

Sigur Rós "ÁTTA" ( Post-Rock, Dream Pop, Ambient)

Django Django "Off Planet" (Art rock, neo-psychedelia, electronic rock, electronic, indie rock)

Killer Mike "Michael" (Hip Hop)

Ben Howard "Is it?" (Folk; indie folk; folktronica; ambient; experimental rock; alternative rock)

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard "PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation" (Psychedelic Rock, Garage Rock, Acid Rock, Progressive Rock)

Gunna "A Gift & A Curse" (Hip Hop)

Pat Metheny "Dream Box" (Jazz, jazz fusion, latin jazz, progressive jazz)

Hand Habits "Sugar The Bruise" Indie Folk, Indie Pop)

Home Is Where "the whaler" (Emo Post Hardcore)

Thy Catafalque "Alföld" :)Avant-garde metal, experimental rock, post-black metal)

John Mellencamp "Orpheus Descending" (Heartland rock; hard rock; roots rock; folk rock)

Caterina Barbieri "Myuthafoo" Electronic; experimental; minimalism)

Yusuf "King of a Land" (Folk, Rock, Pop)

Meshell Ndegeocello "The Omnichord Real Book" (R&B, Soul, Reggae)

Lorelle Meets The Obsolete "Datura" (Psychedelic Rock, Shoegaze, Neo-Psychedelia)

Shindy "In meiner Blüte" (German rap)

Youth Sector "Quarrels" New Wave, Post-Punk
, Indie Rock)

The new Sigur Ros album is definitely a Sigur Ros album. It's on the slower side of their discography, like Valtari, but it's not as ambient as that one. Not sure how I feel yet. It's dreamy and everything, but it all ran together for me.

Conversely, the new King Gizzard is a relentless mountain of thrashy, heavy music. It's a lot of fun - just not the lighter side of fun they've done before. I don't know that it'll be a favorite in their catalog for me, but I liked my first listen quite a bit. I'm sure seeing them live a couple weeks ago helped in getting the in the mood for another metal-ish album.

Still got even more to listen to. Starting on Killer Mike's solo project now. Not great that CeeLo Green is on that opening track, but aside from that so far it's pretty solid. More gospel-influenced than I thought it would be, but it makes sense.

The new Sigur Ros album is definitely a Sigur Ros album. It's on the slower side of their discography, like Valtari, but it's not as ambient as that one. Not sure how I feel yet. It's dreamy and everything, but it all ran together for me.

Conversely, the new King Gizzard is a relentless mountain of thrashy, heavy music. It's a lot of fun - just not the lighter side of fun they've done before. I don't know that it'll be a favorite in their catalog for me, but I liked my first listen quite a bit. I'm sure seeing them live a couple weeks ago helped in getting the in the mood for another metal-ish album.
Both albums are fantastic imho! ÀTTA is definitely more ambient than post-rock and with all the beautiful strings it's verging on modern classical music 🎵
I will need repeat listens and a good pair of headphones 🎧 to fully appreciate the new album but it's safe to say that's it's very good 👍 and will continue to grow on me.

As for PetroDragonic Apocalypse...like I said in my previous post, it's just an onslaught of thrash metal riffs 🎸 and progressive and stoner metal with atmosphere. It's a real sonic explosion 💥

Scott McMicken (dr. dog) has a "solo" effort out today... solo with a full band (including Michael Nau!).

I'm going to need to dig into this one a little more, but it feels way more freewheeling than Dr. Dog stuff. There's some jazzy influence, some latin, and even some reggae (?) vibes.

Finally getting around to this one and it’s quite fun in a sloppy shaggy sorta way.

Radar List for 6.23.23

Bobbie Nelson and Amanda Shires – Loving You
Portugal. the Man – Chris Black Changed My Life
Nat Myers – Yellow Peril
Big Freedia – Central City
Secret Night Gang – Belongs on a Place Called Earth
Emapea Beat – Catz Jazz
BusCrates – Control Center
Ativin – Austere
High Priest – Invocation
Mammatus – Expanding Majesty

Back