New Music Friday!

This wasn't on my list, but would've been. Very delightful solo piano.

This artist was actually recommended by one of our maternity nurses just shy of a year ago when we were listening to a lot of Federico Albanese in our labouring room. I thought his other stuff I listened to was okay, or okay plus, but this one I really enjoy.

"Guitar 🎸 Music", the debut album from Courting is bloody fantastic! Best thing I've heard in a long time 🙂 Post-punk, garage rock, noise rock and hyper-pop all mashed into one raucously fun punchy sound!!
Man, I thought you were implying that the band makes “Guitar Music” not that the album was entitled; Guitar Music.

That wasn’t what I was expecting, most of the first track sounds like my old 56k modem attempting to connect to the internet. Glad you like it though.

Radar List for 9.30.22

Björk - Fossora
Gabriels - Angels & Queens
Various Artists – Blue Note Re:imagined II
billy woods - Church
Snarky Puppy – Empire Central
Freddie Gibbs - $oul $old $eparately
Slipknot - THE END, SO FAR
Sol Messiah - GOD CMPLX
Keith Jarrett - Bordeaux Concert
Albert Freeman - The Garden of Earthly Delights

Last edited:
new wonder years album is… just barely decent to me.

it’s not atrocious like their 2018 record, but this one is just barely ok. i know ive made myself look as a big defender of this band, which I admit i am, but that’s mostly because of their early 2010s material. that era of the band was just on another level, oh my god.

this new album is ok, if you want a traditional pop punk sound that’s playing it safe, you cant go wrong with this one. the lyrical narrative behind this record deals with the challenges of parenthood within this decade, which i can appreciate even if its not something i relate to at all in my life.

my biggest caveat with this record are the vocals. i think the band are in desperate need of a separate vocal producer when making records. (this was an even bigger problem in the last record). vocalist dan campbell’s voice has changed drastically in the past decade, there’s no need for him to be doing the “yelling” type of singing he does here, it gets so obnoxious and melodramatic (something that this genre of music gets criticized for all the time which just further proves my point as to why this is detrimental to the band’s current sound). like, i dont mind if he sings like that live, doing that in a live show is good, it’s a good performance, but that same technique just does not translate good on studio imo. i think the songs where he actually sings in a soft register are much more palpable and enjoyable as a result.

sooo overall… eh. i preordered this record when it got announced. i’ll look forward to listening to it once it arrives 😆

Radar List for 9.30.22

Björk - Fossora
Gabriels - Angels & Queens
Various Artists – Blue Note Re:imagined II
billy woods - Church
Snarky Puppy – Empire Central
Freddie Gibbs - $oul $old $eparately
Slipknot - THE END, SO FAR
Sol Messiah - GOD CMPLX
Keith Jarrett - Bordeaux Concert
Albert Freeman - The Garden of Earthly Delights

Updated to add billy woods.

Q3 chart out tomorrow.

🔥
  • Beth Orton - Weather Alive
👍
  • The Comet is Coming - Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam [although enjoyable, this didn't have me wanting to hop into a spaceship and destroy astrological matter as if the fate the world depended on it like Trust in the Lifeforce... did]
  • Courting - Guitar Music [store brand calamari. But as decent as it may taste, why have that when you can have the 2021 AotY; the real thing?]
  • Hot Chip - Freakout/Release
  • Laufey - Everything I Know About Love [this is cute. Might be for you if you aren't familiar already, @nolalady]
  • Tamino - Sahar
  • Zoon - A Sterling Murmuration (EP)
🤷‍♂️
  • death's dynamic shroud - Darklife
  • Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B [I don't get it. The connection to Black Country, New Road was admittedly a draw. Totally fine (even good at moments), but the "art pop" tag had me fooled]
👎

None.​
🤮

None.​

Here's my selection for tomorrow, Friday September 30th. Happy listening everybody 😊🎶👂

Björk "Fossora" (Art pop; avant-garde; electronica; experimental)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Cool It Down" (Garage punk; garage rock; indie rock; art punk; dance-punk)

Melody's Echo Chamber "Unfold" (Psychedelic rock; neo-psychedelia; dream pop; space rock)

Bladee "Spiderr" (Pop; cloud rap; experimental pop; trap; alternative R&B)

Shygirl "Nymph" (Hip hop; electronic; club; deconstructed club; industrial hip-hop; grime)

Titus Andronicus "The Will to Live" ("Indie rock)

dodie "Hot Mess" (Pop, Indie Pop, Folk)

billy woods "Church" (Hip Hop)

Freddie Gibbs "$oul $old $eparately" (Hip Hop)

Lambchop "The Bible" (Alternative country, alternative rock)

Slipknot "THE END, SO FAR" (Nu metal; alternative metal; groove metal; heavy meta)

Tyler Childers "Can I Take My Hounds to Heaven?" (Country, Bluegrass, Folk)

The Snuts "Burn The Empire" (Indie rock; alternative rock)

Gabriels "Angels & Queens" (Soul, Gospel, RnB)

Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott "N.K Pop" (Indie pop, pop, alternative rock)

Pixies "Doggerel" (Alternative rock; indie rock; punk rock; surf rock; noise pop)

Back