New Music Friday!

Here's my selection for tomorrow Friday 16th of September 2022. Another stacked release day with many exciting new albums. Happy listening everybody 🎶😊

Rina Sawayama "Hold the girl" (Pop; R&B; rock; art pop; electropop)

Death Cab For Cutie "Asphalt Meadows" (Indie rock; alternative rock; indie pop)

Suede "Autofiction" (Alternative Rock, Britpop, Neo-Glam, Art-Rock)

Whitney "Spark" (Indie Rock)

Maggie Lindemann "SUCKERPUNCH" (Pop; pop punk; pop rock; rock; alternative rock)

No Age "People Helping People" (Noise rock; art punk; noise pop)

The Beths "Expert In A Dying Field" (Indie rock; indie pop)

The Black Angels "Wilderness of Mirrors" (Psychedelic Rock, Neo-Psychedelia, Garage Rock)

Crack Cloud "Tough Baby" (art punk, post-punk; new wave, avant garde; avant pop, electropunk)

Clutch "Sunrise On Slaughter Beach" (Hard rock; stoner rock; blues rock; alternative metal; funk metal)

The Mars Volta "The Mars Volta" (Progressive Rock)

Fletcher "Girl Of My Dreams" (Pop)

Horace Andy "Midnight Scorchers" (Reggae, trip hop, electronica)

Jesca Hoop "Order of Romance" (Folk, jazz, blues, pop, experimental)

Djo "Decide" (Neo-Psychedelia, Psychedelic Pop, Indie Rock)

Electric Callboy "Tekkno" (Metalcore, Trancecore, Post-Hardcore, Electronic Rock)

Jessie Reyez "YESSIE" (R&B; pop; hip hop)

Noah Cyrus "The Hardest Part" (Folk Pop, Alt-Pop, Electropop)

Mura Masa "demon time" (Alternative R&B; nu-disco)

Blood Oranges "Four songs EP" (alternative country)

Black Pink "Born Pink" (K-Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, EDM)

Marina Allen "Centrifics" (Singer-Songwriter, Contemporary Folk)

LeAnn Rimes "god's work" (Country; pop; contemporary Christian; adult contemporary; dance-pop)

Young Jesus "Shepherd Head" (Indie rock, post-rock)

Steve Aoki "HiROQUEST Genesis" (EDM; electro house; big room house; Dutch house; trap)

Just want to say thanks for taking the time to do this every week! I used to go to NPR's playlist every Friday and see what caught my ear. Now I usually come to your list and see what catches my eye by genre and start there.

Hip hop stuff I haven't seen mentioned:

Pink Siifu x Real Bad Man - Real Bad Flights dropped today. Really great. Released earlier this week in a slightly different format, so I've already had the chance to listen a few times.

Also hearing lots of good things about Lukah - Raw Extractions, will be listening when I get a chance.

Hip hop stuff I haven't seen mentioned:

Pink Siifu x Real Bad Man - Real Bad Flights dropped today. Really great. Released earlier this week in a slightly different format, so I've already had the chance to listen a few times.

Also hearing lots of good things about Lukah - Raw Extractions, will be listening when I get a chance.

I really appreciate you popping in with the hip hop drops here. I've started to feel really old and out of touch when it comes to a lot of hip hop anymore outside of my reliable few so the extra nudges toward stuff are appreciated!

I got the Beth's album a few days ago but due to me being very busy, I wasn't able to spin it until today. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
The Beths emerged onto the music scene fully formed. They might be musical aliens. So damn tight, such great song writing, and just wonderful to see perform live.

Thanks for pointing this out. My mistake. I see how it happened. I added an s and indeed there has been a band called Blood Oranges that did alternative country haha.
You're right, it's Blood Orange indeed and it's (Alternative R&B; progressive R&B; experimental jazz).
Blood Oranges were fantastic by the way. Part of that early alt-country era.

I really like this new Death Cab album. I think it's the best thing they've done since at least Codes and Keys. They were my favorite band in high school, so I still keep in touch with their new releases even though the last couple haven't made much of an impact. This one is so much more refreshing. It's like a throwback to their earlier work while also being a nice, energetic change up from their more over-produced work on the last few records.

I haven't listened to anything else new yet. I just got into Rina's music this week to get ready for the new one, so that's up next.

I was cautiously optimistic about Rina and it definitely passed my expectations! Definitely a solid follow up to SAWAYAMA

Biggest surprise had to be DECIDE by Djo. Djo is the name actor Joe Keery performs under and it’s seriously great psych pop! For fans of MGMT’s Little Dark Age

I really like this new Death Cab album. I think it's the best thing they've done since at least Codes and Keys. They were my favorite band in high school, so I still keep in touch with their new releases even though the last couple haven't made much of an impact. This one is so much more refreshing. It's like a throwback to their earlier work while also being a nice, energetic change up from their more over-produced work on the last few records.

I haven't listened to anything else new yet. I just got into Rina's music this week to get ready for the new one, so that's up next.

For an album that was tossed onto my radar list as more of, "what the heck," than any heavy excitement it's wound up being one of my favourite releases this week.

So, I listened to the new self-titled Mars Volta album. And....and....I was so disappointed and let down after a decade long wait.

Look, I get the whole 'the bands sound evolves over time' thing. And I'm always in favor of bands breaking out into new genres and territories to explore their perspective. And The Mars Volta have done that time and again with every record release. A cacophony of sounds, textures, and vocal tapestries. However, this new album was such a wild swing into yacht rock balladry I was left dizzy and confused (and not in the good way).

The complex time signature changes, 6+ minute songs, and dissonant soundscapes have been replaced by warm pop rock. And I.....I am SHOOKETH.

Back