New Music Friday!

Some goodies. However, I'm not on board with the opinion of most for this week.

🔥
  • Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter [I had no idea what to expect...and this one had me in its grasp from the first seconds of "Family Tree (Intro)." Comparisons to Lana Del Rey, you say? More like LOWna DUSTERey. How is this going to sound in a small venue in ~3 months?!?!?]
  • The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention
👍
  • Action Bronson - Cocodrillo Turbo
  • Quelle Chris - DEATHFAME
  • Ibeyi - Spell 31 [first time I've listen to this duo; which means that yes, I haven't listened to the relevant N&G AotM, either. Probably should rectify that. As for Spell 31, this was lovely and I might move to 🔥 in time]
  • Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers [still good, but not a bona fide classic like most in his 2010's run. It does contain the exceptional "Mother I Sober," a candidate for song of the year. Obviously will be returning to reevaluate; could very well move to 🔥, very dense]
  • Patricia Wolf - See-Through [more environmental/nature sounds on this compared to I'll Look For You in Others. This offering doesn't have me as entranced, but it is very much a worthy follow-up. "Recalibration" should have been longer!]
🤷‍♂️
  • Maria Chiara Argirò - Forest City
  • The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie
  • Florence + the Machine - Dance Fever [sorry, N&G]
  • Ibaraki - Rashomon [sorry @musicjunkiegreg, but I'm not connecting with this]
  • Moderat - MORE D4TA
  • Emma Ruth Rundle - EG2: Dowsing Voice
  • Sunflower Bean - Headful of Sugar
  • UFOMAMMUT - Fenice
👎
  • Jack Harlow - Come Home the Kids Miss You [not as bad as the internet/reviewers would have you believe, but it isn't good either. Cringe bars + production choices aplenty]
🤮

None.​

I still haven't wrapped my head around the new Kendrick to form a solid opinion. It kind of just makes me want to listen to his other albums... I don't think it's bad though, but there is something that is uncomfortable about it. And I think that's intentional. However, I feel like there's either a lot to digest, or it's pretty straightforward and kind of underwhelming. I've been trying to think about the intention to make it two discs, each with 9 tracks. Some of the tracks do talk to each other in a way, like the openers United In Grief and Count Me Out. But other ones I can't seem to make sense of entirely - in terms of a mirroring between the discs.

I do like the piano motif that crops up throughout, but I wish it was there more. It does seem like a thread to connect it all, but it's not quite as prominent as the running themes in TPAB or even DAMN so I'm not sure it works super well. The minimalist production on some of the songs are real highlights for me because it does create an incredible, dark atmosphere. But there are still some songs here that I think just fall flat musically, Idk.

Disc one = decision to see a therapist and the surface level discussions of his issues (daddy issues, infidelity, ext).
Disc two = the breakthrough and a deeper level analyzation of specific childhood trauma and the way it's impacted his failures as an adult-- and then, in turn, using that to look at the ways trauma is intergenerational within the black community. Obviously Mother I Sober is the key moment in that regards.

The part that makes it messy is the low-key obsession with cancel culture and inclusion of Kodak Black on 4 songs. But when you take a step back, that inclusion also helps clarify his overall thesis. That essentially Kodak is a "lost soul" and a product of deep child hood trauma and thus deserves an opportunity at redemption. It's also, I think, why Kendrick is so clear about his own failures as a human being.

This is, after all, somebody who straight up says in Good Kid "If I told you I killed somebody at age 16, would you believe me"?

I have always believed him because, when you dig into his art / themes over multiple albums-- they align heavily with somebody who is obsessed with outrunning his past actions. But yes, definitely an uncomfortable listen in many, may ways and definitely by intent... because for the first time he is turning a lens on himself and saying-- I am a deeply flawed person with views that may not align with yours, but I'd rather you know because "I'm not your (i.e this community's) savior" and "I can't please everyone".

Last edited:
Some goodies. However, I'm not on board with the opinion of most for this week.

🔥
  • Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter [I had no idea what to expect...and this one had me in its grasp from the first seconds of "Family Tree (Intro)." Comparisons to Lana Del Rey, you say? More like LOWna DUSTERey. How is this going to sound in a small venue in ~3 months?!?!?]
  • The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention
👍
  • Action Bronson - Cocodrillo Turbo
  • Quelle Chris - DEATHFAME
  • Ibeyi - Spell 31 [first time I've listen to this duo; which means that yes, I haven't listened to the relevant N&G AotM, either. Probably should rectify that. As for Spell 31, this was lovely and I might move to 🔥 in time]
  • Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers [still good, but not a bona fide classic like most in his 2010's run. It does contain the exceptional "Mother I Sober," a candidate for song of the year. Obviously will be returning to reevaluate; could very well move to 🔥, very dense]
  • Patricia Wolf - See-Through [more environmental/nature sounds on this compared to I'll Look For You in Others. This offering doesn't have me as entranced, but it is very much a worthy follow-up. "Recalibration" should have been longer!]
🤷‍♂️
  • Maria Chiara Argirò - Forest City
  • The Black Keys - Dropout Boogie
  • Florence + the Machine - Dance Fever [sorry, N&G]
  • Ibaraki - Rashomon [sorry @musicjunkiegreg, but I'm not connecting with this]
  • Moderat - MORE D4TA
  • Emma Ruth Rundle - EG2: Dowsing Voice
  • Sunflower Bean - Headful of Sugar
  • UFOMAMMUT - Fenice
👎
  • Jack Harlow - Come Home the Kids Miss You [not as bad as the internet/reviewers would have you believe, but it isn't good either. Cringe bars + production choices aplenty]
🤮

None.​
Hell yeah to seeing Ethel in the 🔥 tier. Surely a top album for me for the year so far. The Smile also deserving of the same tier status. And I'm glad you at least gave Ibaraki a go.. #MusicIsSubjective ✌️

Radar List for 5.20.22

Shabaka - Afrikan Meditation
Mavis Staples & Levon Helm - Carry Me Home
Mary Lattimore & Paul Sukeena - West Kensington
Ravyn Lenae - Hypnos
Lykke Li - Eyeye
Daniel Villarreal - Panamá 77
Mari Samuelsen - LYS
Also looking forward to checking out these two..
Porridge Radio - Waterslide, Diving Board, Ladder to the Sky
José Medeles (with M. Ward, Marisa Anderson, Chris Funk) - Railroad Cadences & Melancholic Anthems: A Drummers Tribute to John Fahey

Back