New Music Friday!

So here's my selection for tomorrow, Friday 8th of April 2022. Another stscked release week. Happy listening everybody 🎶🙂

Orville Pack "Bronco" (Country; alternative rock, shoegaze)

Jack White "Fear of the Dawn" (Blues, Folk, Rock, Punk)

Banks "Serpentina" (Alternative pop; alternative R&B; electropop; trip hop)

Father John Misty "Chloë and the Next 20th Century" (Indie rock; indie folk; folk rock; chamber pop)

Chloe Moriondo "puppy luv" (Indie Pop, Indie Rock)

Wet Leg "Wet Leg" (Indie rock; post-punk; indie pop)

Whatever the Weather "Whatever the Weather" (Electronic)

The Regrettes "FURTHER JOY" (Punk rock; riot grrrl; garage pop; garage punk)

Camila Cabello "Familia" (Pop, Latin)

Vince Staples "RAMONA PARK BROKE MY HEART" (Hip Hop)

Kae Tempest "The Line Is A Curve" (Spoken word, hip-hop)

Lucius "Second Nature" (Indie pop, country pop, swing, doo wop)

Calexico "El Mirador" (Alternative Country, Indie-Rock, Latin Jazz, Desert Rock)

Horace Andy "Midnight Rocker" (Reggae, trip hop, electronica)

Archive "Call To Arms & Angels" (Trip hop; electronica; progressive rock; new prog; shoegaze)

Destruction "Diabolical" (Thrash metal; Speed metal)

Omar Apollo "IVORY" (Soul, R&B, funk)

Deanna Petcoff "To Hell With You, I Love You" (Indie Rock)

Nicole Faux Naiv "Moon Rally" (Dream Pop, Jazz, World Music)

Wet Tuna "Warping All By Yourself" (Psychedelic Rock)

Vicky Farewell "Sweet Company" (Pop, Funk, Classical Pianist)

Syd "Broken Hearts Club" (Alternative R&B; neo soul; hip hop)

So here's my selection for tomorrow, Friday 8th of April 2022. Another stscked release week. Happy listening everybody 🎶🙂

Orville Pack "Bronco" (Country; alternative rock, shoegaze)

Jack White "Fear of the Dawn" (Blues, Folk, Rock, Punk)

Banks "Serpentina" (Alternative pop; alternative R&B; electropop; trip hop)

Father John Misty "Chloë and the Next 20th Century" (Indie rock; indie folk; folk rock; chamber pop)

Chloe Moriondo "puppy luv" (Indie Pop, Indie Rock)

Wet Leg "Wet Leg" (Indie rock; post-punk; indie pop)

Whatever the Weather "Whatever the Weather" (Electronic)

The Regrettes "FURTHER JOY" (Punk rock; riot grrrl; garage pop; garage punk)

Camila Cabello "Familia" (Pop, Latin)

Vince Staples "RAMONA PARK BROKE MY HEART" (Hip Hop)

Kae Tempest "The Line Is A Curve" (Spoken word, hip-hop)

Lucius "Second Nature" (Indie pop, country pop, swing, doo wop)

Calexico "El Mirador" (Alternative Country, Indie-Rock, Latin Jazz, Desert Rock)

Horace Andy "Midnight Rocker" (Reggae, trip hop, electronica)

Archive "Call To Arms & Angels" (Trip hop; electronica; progressive rock; new prog; shoegaze)

Destruction "Diabolical" (Thrash metal; Speed metal)

Omar Apollo "IVORY" (Soul, R&B, funk)

Deanna Petcoff "To Hell With You, I Love You" (Indie Rock)

Nicole Faux Naiv "Moon Rally" (Dream Pop, Jazz, World Music)

Wet Tuna "Warping All By Yourself" (Psychedelic Rock)

Vicky Farewell "Sweet Company" (Pop, Funk, Classical Pianist)

Syd "Broken Hearts Club" (Alternative R&B; neo soul; hip hop)
Looking forward to the Banks and Wet Leg albums. I'm also interested in Nicole Faux Naiv and Vicky Farewell albums. I got the physical of that Wet Tuna and it's a fun little jam album.

I'm spinning the new Father John Misty album now (got it a day early). This will be...very divisive. Personally, I thought God's Favorite Customer was so boring and safe that I'm excited he just went all out in a completely unique direction on this one. It's definitely taking some getting used to, but I'm enjoying what he's putting down. It's almost like an old 50's musical or something.

I'm spinning the new Father John Misty album now (got it a day early). This will be...very divisive. Personally, I thought God's Favorite Customer was so boring and safe that I'm excited he just went all out in a completely unique direction on this one. It's definitely taking some getting used to, but I'm enjoying what he's putting down. It's almost like an old 50's musical or something.
On my 2nd spin right now. It's definitely a different direction, but really enjoying it. Plays well as a whole piece of work, and yeah, it's more of a dark, theater/musical sound to it. Not really any of his pop songs on it, but I did really love God's Favorite Customer too.

I absolutely loved God's Favorite Customer 😍 for very personal reasons ❤️ but disliked Pure Comedy 🤷‍♂️ As for the new one, I'll report back tomorrow, but if the singles are any indication, I'd be surprised if I didn't like it 😉

The

On my 2nd spin right now. It's definitely a different direction, but really enjoying it. Plays well as a whole piece of work, and yeah, it's more of a dark, theater/musical sound to it. Not really any of his pop songs on it, but I did really love God's Favorite Customer too.

I absolutely loved God's Favorite Customer 😍 for very personal reasons ❤️ but disliked Pure Comedy 🤷‍♂️ As for the new one, I'll report back tomorrow, but if the singles are any indication, I'd be surprised if I didn't like it 😉

The
I guess I am still in the minority of my dislike for GFC. I just never got into it. It felt so boring. Pure Comedy could have gone the same way, but I totally fell in love with it. I love the themes and lyrics and sprawling nature of the record. Some songs there also felt pretty sparse at first, but they really opened up to me the more I listened. I love even the most simplistic songs on that album. Each one has a quality about it I think is nearly unmatched in his discography. This new one is wildly different, but I could see it being a huge grower just like Pure Comedy. Already though, if you dig into some of the lyrics, there's still plenty of interesting, funny stuff there. It's all just delivered in a very genuine way.

edit: Also holy shit, the closing track on Chloe and the Next 20th Century is incredible. It's unlike everything else on the record, yet somehow it fits...I can't even explain what is going on there.

Last edited:
I guess I am still in the minority of my dislike for GFC. I just never got into it. It felt so boring. Pure Comedy could have gone the same way, but I totally fell in love with it. I love the themes and lyrics and sprawling nature of the record. Some songs there also felt pretty sparse at first, but they really opened up to me the more I listened. I love even the most simplistic songs on that album. Each one has a quality about it I think is nearly unmatched in his discography. This new one is wildly different, but I could see it being a huge grower just like Pure Comedy. Already though, if you dig into some of the lyrics, there's still plenty of interesting, funny stuff there. It's all just delivered in a very genuine way.

edit: Also holy shit, the closing track on Chloe and the Next 20th Century is incredible. It's unlike everything else on the record, yet somehow it fits...I can't even explain what is going on there.
I had way too high expectations for Pure Comedy coming off of one of, if not, my favorite album of the last decade. The singles which made up the first like 5 songs were all right there with Honeybear, but then I just couldn't do Leaving LA, and felt the rest of the album just kind of drifted away on me from there after. I really need to give it another chance though. I didn't not like it, just wasn't as good as the rest to me.

I enjoy the full FJM discography thus far but in my opinion, his songwriting hit harder for me on Honeybear and on God’s Favorite Customer than it did on Pure Comedy probably because of the introspection and self-loathing on display with those two albums. Pure Comedy was still a quality record but it’s emits such a cynical and bleak worldview it’s tough to enjoy over an entire album. I much prefer the individual songs on Pure Comedy than I do as an entire album. I am gonna pick up Chloe tomorrow but I have a feeling it will fall more in the Pure Comedy side of things as it feels less personal than Honeybear or GFC. We will see though. I am excited for new FJM regardless.

I enjoy the full FJM discography thus far but in my opinion, his songwriting hit harder for me on Honeybear and on God’s Favorite Customer than it did on Pure Comedy probably because of the introspection and self-loathing on display with those two albums. Pure Comedy was still a quality record but it’s emits such a cynical and bleak worldview it’s tough to enjoy over an entire album. I much prefer the individual songs on Pure Comedy than I do as an entire album. I am gonna pick up Chloe tomorrow but I have a feeling it will fall more in the Pure Comedy side of things as it feels less personal than Honeybear or GFC. We will see though. I am excited for new FJM regardless.
It is more like Pure Comedy in a sense in that yes it’s very much an external view rather than an internal one. These are like character storytelling songs, something he has done with his personal life - but not in this way where every song feels very fictional. But like I said before, it almost plays like a musical. Also it’s a full on jazz, big band, crooner throwback album. It probably sounds better on a production scale than any of his previous albums, but the music is so different.

It is more like Pure Comedy in a sense in that yes it’s very much an external view rather than an internal one. These are like character storytelling songs, something he has done with his personal life - but not in this way where every song feels very fictional. But like I said before, it almost plays like a musical. Also it’s a full on jazz, big band, crooner throwback album. It probably sounds better on a production scale than any of his previous albums, but the music is so different.
It’ll be interesting to see how these songs translate live. Will be be bringing a small orchestra out with him on tour? I would legit be down with that.

Pitchfork made Fear of the Dawn out to be BSR part ii: more unhinged. However at the halfway mark, it’s not awful. I don’t think I need it in the collection, but it’s not offensive.

It's almost like an old 50's musical or something.
Ooooohhhh I am so excited for this album now. I got the tracking on my physical and it should be here today.

Back