New Music Friday!

Here's my selection for tomorrow, Friday 5th of November 2021. Very stacked release day again, enjoy! 🙂🎧

Radiohead "Kid A Mnesia" (Alternative Rock, Art-Rock, Electronica, Post-Rock)

Snail Mail "Valentine" (Indie Rock)

Aminé "TWOPOINTFIVE" (Hip Hop, Trap, RnB)

Summer Walker "STILL OVER IT" (RNB, Neo Soul)

Emigrate "The Persistence of Memory" (Rammstein guitarist, Alt Metal, Industrial)

The Horrors "Against the Blade" (Indie rock; post-punk revival; shoegazing; post punk; gothic rock; garage rock)

ABBA "Voyage" (Pop)

Parcels "Day/Night" (Electro Pop, Disco, Soul)

Teleman "Sweet Morning EP" (Alternative Rock, Indie Pop)

Aimee Mann "Queens Of The Summer Hotel" (Rock, alternative rock, pop rock, folk, country, alternative country)

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats "The Future" (Soul; gospel; folk rock; blues rock; cowpunk; Americana)

Joan As Police Woman, Tony Allen & Dave Okumu "The Solution Is Restless" (Rock, Pop, Jazz)

New Age Doom & Lee "Lee "Scratch" Perry's Guide to the Universe" (drone-metal jazz-fusion, Cosmic dub-noise)

Nation of Language "A Way Forward" (Indie pop, Post-punk, New wave)

Emma Ruth Rundle "Engine of Hell" (Ambient; folk; post-rock; sludge metal)

Penelope Isles "Which Way to Happy" (Indie Pop)

Hana Vu "Public Storage" (Dream Pop, Garage Rock)

Bullet For My Valentine "Bullet For My Valentine" (Metalcore, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock, Alternative Metal)

Curtis Harding "If Words Were Flowers" (Soul)

Connan Mockasin "Jassbusters Two" (Psychedelic pop; neo-psychedelia; dream pop; space rock; avant-pop)

Suzanne Santo "Yard Sale" (Americana, alternative country, indie rock, Soul)

Fur "When You Walk Away" (Indie Pop, Indie Rock)

Margo Cilker "Pohorylle" (Alt. Country)

Cathy Jain "Artificial" (Alternative Pop)

Admiral Fallow "The Idea of You" (Indie Folk)

If you are into ambient that often includes sparse piano / guitar compositions, there is a new Hammock album out today called Elsewhere. I've loved their work, so very excited for this.
I've tried to get into Hammock a few times in the past and while I generally like most of what they do sometimes it's a little on the boring side. I don't know why but drones, piano, synths I can do, but electric guitar feels like it needs something else along side it. I like their first album the most because it feels more post-rocky. With that said I'll probably check this one out.

I've tried to get into Hammock a few times in the past and while I generally like most of what they do sometimes it's a little on the boring side. I don't know why but drones, piano, synths I can do, but electric guitar feels like it needs something else along side it. I like their first album the most because it feels more post-rocky. With that said I'll probably check this one out.

I can see this. I wouldn't classify Hammock as challenging and innovative ambient like Grouper or Huerco S., for example, but for me, I sometimes enjoy the calming and ethereal nature of Hammock compositions. It works especially well when I'm having a stressful day to play Hammock albums.

I was critical of this Snail Mail album with the last 2 singles but I quite like the rest of it. It's still got some guitar and a lot of nice, I want to say 80s, vibes in places. It works as a whole.

This Nation of Language album suffers from the fact they released 5 out of the 10 tracks as singles before release date. Had I not heard any I might like it more. I get weary of that many singles because usually your singles are the better tracks and when the whole thing is out it's kind of a let down. Might be a grower though.

Another one that missed my list...

I look forward to a full length album some day; all his EPs have been fantastic so far.

I think I might need him to put out an album, or at least put the EPs together.

The one I really wanted to listen to was Emma, and she did not disappoint. This is such a great album and I can't wait to get the physical copy on Tuesday. There are times when she taps into early Tori Amos and maybe some Poe or P.J. Harvey.

The surprise album for me today is Joan As Police Woman, Tony Allen & Dave Okumu "The Solution Is Restless". It's a very chill, jazzy, ethereal album. I'm really impressed with it.

Currently, just waiting on @Rip_City to put his 2 cents in.

The surprise album for me today is Joan As Police Woman, Tony Allen & Dave Okumu "The Solution Is Restless". It's a very chill, jazzy, ethereal album. I'm really impressed with it.

Just added this to my post-Radar List listening queue.

I'm looking forward to giving Emma another chance this evening - last night I was overtired with a fussy baby, so unable to listen as deeply as I'd have liked. I enjoyed what I did get of it, but feel like there is so much more waiting for me.

Also, I heart Poe. Nice callback!

I was critical of this Snail Mail album with the last 2 singles but I quite like the rest of it. It's still got some guitar and a lot of nice, I want to say 80s, vibes in places. It works as a whole.

This Nation of Language album suffers from the fact they released 5 out of the 10 tracks as singles before release date. Had I not heard any I might like it more. I get weary of that many singles because usually your singles are the better tracks and when the whole thing is out it's kind of a let down. Might be a grower though.
I really like Valentine 💝 as a whole perhaps even more than Lush. This album will most definitely be featured on my AOTY list come December.

As for Nation of Language, I need more time with it before making a proper assessment. Unlike you, I didn't pay much attention to the singles, therefore it shouldn't have much bearing on my evaluation of the album.

Anyone check out ABBA's new album? I've been really diving into their discography hard the past few weeks and I was super excited to hear their new stuff after the fantastic lead single. But I'm so sad the say I'm pretty underwhelmed with it. Granted they really aren't known for albums and are mainly about singles and hits but I usually get more out of them then I did this. Besides "Don't shut me down" the album just feels like its missing that spark they usually have

Last edited:
Anyone check out ABBA's new album? I've been really diving into their discography hard the past few weeks and I was super excited to hear their new stuff after the fantastic lead single. But I'm so sad the say I'm pretty underwhelmed with it. Granted they really aren't known for albums and are mainly about singles and hits but I usually get more out of them then I did this. Besides "Don't shut me down" the album just feels like its missing that spark they usually have

I definitely plan to check it out but haven't yet. I haven't heard the single and don't have high expectations, but I do look forward to giving it a listen.

I had the same impression. The album isn't bad, but I've expected a few faster, catchier pop songs on it. I love former songs from them like "Summer Night City", "S.O.S.", "Voulez Vous", "The name of the game", "Lay all your love on me", "One of us", "The day before you came", "Our last summer". I didn't find much in that direction on the new release. Maybe "Voyage" though will be growing with every listening.

So here's my selection for upcoming Friday, November 12th. Happy listening everybody 🎶🎧🙂

Idles "CRAWLER" (Post-Punk, Punk)

Damon Albarn "The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows" ( Alternative rock; world; electronic; hip hop; folk; Britpop; art pop)

Courtney Barnett "Things Take Time, Take Time" (Indie rock; alternative rock; dolewave)

Taylor Swift "Red (Taylor's Version)" (Pop; country; alternative; rock; folk)

Jon Hopkins "Music For Psychedelic Therapy" (Electronica; ambient; contemporary classical)

Dave Gahan & Soulsavers "Imposter" (Depeche Mode singer, Alternative dance; synth-pop; electronic; new wave; rock)

They Might Be Giants "BOOK" (Alternative rock; indie rock; experimental rock; art rock; avant-pop; power pop)

Rod Stewart "The Tears of Hercules" (Pop rock; blue-eyed soul; blues rock; folk rock; soft rock)

Holly Humberstone "The Walls Are Way Too Thin" (Alternative rock; pop rock; indie rock)

Irreversible Entanglements "Open the Gates" (Rap, Punk, Noise, Jazz)

Portico Quartet "Monument" (Jazz, ambient, electronic)

Roman Vendy "nrkhee EP" (Synth Pop)

Ronan Keating "Songs from home" (Pop; country; soft rock; pop rock; adult contemporary; easy listening)

Susanna Hoffs "Bright lights" (Former Bangles, Rock, Pop)

French Montana "THEY GOT AMNESIA" (Hip Hop)

Siv Disa "Dreamhouse"(Pop, Psychedelic)

Erika de Casier "The Sensational Remixes" (Pop; R&B; experimental pop)

Little Mix "Between Us" (Compilation, Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B)

DaBaby "BACK ON MY BABY JESUS SHIT. AGAIN EP" (Hip Hop, Trap)

Radar List for 11.12.21

Irreversible Entanglements - Open The Gates
Haviah Mighty - Stock Exchange
NNAMDÏ - Are You Happy
Aesop Rock & Blockhead - Garbology
Leo Nocentelli - Another Side
Joni Mitchell - Live at Carnegie Hall, February 1, 1969
They Might Be Giants - BOOK
The Alchemist - Cycles
Portico Quartet - Monument
Damon Albarn - The Nearer The Fountain, More Pure The Stream Flows
NRBQ - Dragnet