New Music Friday!

This is a few Fridays late, but if anyone is a fan of the band Ours, they released a new album several weeks back. It's pretty massive, frankly, and they've always been hit or miss for me, but Jimmy Gnecco still sings like some kind of improbable golden god.

Thanks for posting, I'm just listening to the Ours album. Good alternative rock album.

Okay, I didn't dig into it until late last night and it's only an EP but this is definitely my favourite release from Friday:
(I listened to it four times back to back before bed)

Federico Albanese & Tara Nome Doyle - The Moments We Keep

federico.jpg

‘The Moments We Keep’ a collaborative EP, between Berlin based Irish/Norwegian singer-songwriter Tara Nome Doyle, and Italian composer and pianist Federico Albanese is released today on Mercury KX. The EP’s title is a reference to Virginia Woolf’s concept of time, and her interest in fleeting moments and the perception of them being relative. Lyrically, the EP’s tracks all orbit around moments that might have seemed ordinary at the time, but which stick with us, reflecting upon the intangible qualities of time.

Tara and Federico explain this thinking in relation to the title track of the EP; “When we’re at our lowest, we’ll often find ourselves reaching back for memories of when life felt light and warm. Even though they might have seemed fleeting at the time, ‘The Moments We Keep’ hold so much energy and we can find solace in reliving them.” ‘The Moments We Keep’ EP was recorded by Federico Albanese and Tara Nome Doyle in Berlin between January and April 2021. It features 4 songs written by the two of them. It was arranged and mixed by Federico Albanese at Overhear Studio in Berlin, and mastered in Berlin by Zino Mikorey.

Radar List for 6.4.21

Greentea Peng
- MAN MADE
Joy Oladokun - In Defense of My Own Happiness
Field Kit - Field Kit
Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Dobet Gnahoré - Couleur
João Donato - JID007
John Robinson - King JR
Slugabed - we have the window open at night
Rip Hayman - Waves: Real and Imagined

I think this may have gotten swallowed up by the great JBrekkie album, but if anyone who likes Americana/Folky music skipped the Joy Oladokun, go back and have a listen at some point. It's a VERY good album, gives some feeling of a lighter Brandi Carlile in spots with some poppy inclinations in spots.

Radar List for Friday 7.9.21:

Arushi Jain - Under the Lilac Sky
BABEHOVEN - Nastavi, Calliope
dolphin midwives - Body of Water
Drug Store Romeos - The world within our bedrooms
Half Waif - Myopoetics
Koreless - Agor
Maggie Lennon - Sounds From Your Lips
The Wallflowers - Exit Wounds
Vince Staples - Vince Staples
Xiu Xiu - Moira (EP)

I was really really enjoying Moot! by Moin last night, but the day kicked my ass and I knocked off about halfway through, so I'll be revisiting it in a bit, after I get the kiddo off to day camp.

Les Filles de Illighadad was everything I hoped it would be and is easily my favourite release of July so far.

Haven't listened to this yet but it's my first order of business once bedtime with the kiddo is over and done. I didn't realize this was coming out, as I've lost touch somewhat with a bunch of my Ottawa friends, including Nathanael Larochette who plays in the band. Their last album, released 7 years ago, was a favourite of mine so I'm very excited to check this one out...

chamber folk / post-rock / modern classical

[edited to add genre tags]

Last edited:
Haven't listened to this yet but it's my first order of business once bedtime with the kiddo is over and done. I didn't realize this was coming out, as I've lost touch somewhat with a bunch of my Ottawa friends, including Nathanael Larochette who plays in the band. Their last album, released 7 years ago, was a favourite of mine so I'm very excited to check this one out...

Definitely my release of the week, and month, so far.

You had me at Ottawa! Il check it out later...✌

Here's already my selection for upcoming Friday, July 16th. Again, a summer schedule release day. Happy listening everybody :) 🎧

Squid (Near the Westway) (Live album/ Post Punk)

John Murry (The Stars are God’s Bullet Holes) (Folk/ Alternative Country)

A Place to Bury Strangers (Hologram EP) (Indie Rock/ Noise Rock/ Shoegaze)

Tones and I (Welcome to the Madhouse) (Pop/ EDM)

Rodrigo Amarante (Drama) (Folk/ Rock/ Psychedelic/ Samba from Brazil)

Oscar Lang (Chew the Scenery) (Alternative/ Indie)

John Mayer (Sob Rock) (Rock/ Blues/ Country)

PVRIS (Use me EP) (Alt Pop/ Rock/ Post Hardcore)

Stephen Fretwell (Busy Guy) (Indie Rock)

Steve Dawson (At the Bottom of a canyon in the branches of Tree) (Guitar)

Hollie Kenniff (The Quiet Drift) (Electronica/ Ambient)

I listened to this album last night. Very much enjoyed it! Thanks for recommending 👊

Radar List for 7.16.21

Cochemea - Vol. II: Baca Sewa
Midwife - Luminol
Bacao Rhythm & Steel Band - Expansions
Rodrigo Amarante - Drama
Clairo - Sling
Lawrence Rothman - Good Morning, America
A Place To Bury Strangers - Hologram
Linn Da Quebrada - Trava Línguas
Eliza Shaddad - The Woman You Want
Hollie Kenniff - The Quiet Drift

Back