New Music Friday!

New Willow Smith is prettt solid. Absolutely loved the singles (“b I g f e e l i n g s” is in the running for my song of the year (though I fucking hate typing it out)) and some of the album cuts are great. But it just feels like their are too many half ideas on here that don’t go anywhere

I've never listened to her before this very moment. I'm loving how loungy and mysterious it sounds with a hint of 60s folk, nearly calypso at times. It's very early Angel Olsen. Are all her records similar to this new one?
I’d say so yes! Her last album Quiet Signs is a masterpiece in my opinion, one of the best and most singular albums of the last decade or so. Shes got a spellbinding voice and the song writing/melodies on that last one are something else.

One of my favorite records to spin.

I've never listened to her before this very moment. I'm loving how loungy and mysterious it sounds with a hint of 60s folk, nearly calypso at times. It's very early Angel Olsen. Are all her records similar to this new one?
Yeah, She showed up in my radar with her 2nd album Own Your Own Love but her next album, Quiet Songs was her first album that I listened to quite a bit. This new one sounds maybe a bit fuller than her previous albums but share a similar vibe. Her albums all feel like like they coulda come out in 1966.

Last edited:
I’d say so yes! Her last album Quiet Signs is a masterpiece in my opinion, one of the best and most singular albums of the last decade or so. Shes got a spellbinding voice and the song writing/melodies on that last one are something else.

One of my favorite records to spin.

Yeah, She showed up in my radar with her 2nd album Own Your Own Love but her next album, Quiet Songs was her first album that I listened to quite a bit. This new one is maybe a bit fuller than her previous albums but share a similar vibe. Her albums all feel like like they coulda come out in 1966.
Her albums are pretty short so I listened to all 4 today. It's really good stuff, very, very early Angel Olsen-y and Anna St. Louis. I love it.

Radar List, 10th May 2024
  • Art TatumJewels In The Treasure Box: The 1953 Chicago Blue Note Jazz Club Recordings (Funk / Jazz / Blues / Soul / Gospel)
  • AtmoTelegiornale (Compilations / Library / Lounge / Spoken)
  • Audio ObscuraAcid Field Recordings In Dub (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • Bossk.4 (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
  • Deep Tunnel ProjectDeep Tunnel Project (Shoegaze / Post-Rock / Math / Experimental Indie)
  • Douglas DareOmni (Pop / Indie Pop / Experimental Pop / Electro-Pop)
  • El MoonoThe Waking Sun (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
  • GalatiCold as a February Sky (Ambient / Downtempo / Dreampop)
  • Ian LynchAll You Need Is Death (Original Soundtrack) (Soundtracks)
  • Keeley ForsythThe Hollow (Neo-classical / Classical / Orchestral)
  • MahtiMusiikki 3 (Shoegaze / Post-Rock / Math / Experimental Indie)
  • Runar MagnussonInside Out of Chaos (Experimental / Avant-garde / Sound Art / Field)
  • Soap & SkinDes Teufels Bad (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Soundtracks)
  • Speed Dealer MomsBirth Control Pill (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • The ChurchEros Zeta & The Perfumed Guitars (Psyche / Space / Kraut / Prog)
  • Universal Order Of ArmageddonUniversal Order Of Armageddon (Punk / Hardcore / Post-Punk)

Radar List, 10th May 2024
  • Art TatumJewels In The Treasure Box: The 1953 Chicago Blue Note Jazz Club Recordings (Funk / Jazz / Blues / Soul / Gospel)
  • AtmoTelegiornale (Compilations / Library / Lounge / Spoken)
  • Audio ObscuraAcid Field Recordings In Dub (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • Bossk.4 (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
  • Deep Tunnel ProjectDeep Tunnel Project (Shoegaze / Post-Rock / Math / Experimental Indie)
  • Douglas DareOmni (Pop / Indie Pop / Experimental Pop / Electro-Pop)
  • El MoonoThe Waking Sun (Metal / Noise / Industrial / Extreme)
  • GalatiCold as a February Sky (Ambient / Downtempo / Dreampop)
  • Ian LynchAll You Need Is Death (Original Soundtrack) (Soundtracks)
  • Keeley ForsythThe Hollow (Neo-classical / Classical / Orchestral)
  • MahtiMusiikki 3 (Shoegaze / Post-Rock / Math / Experimental Indie)
  • Runar MagnussonInside Out of Chaos (Experimental / Avant-garde / Sound Art / Field)
  • Soap & SkinDes Teufels Bad (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Soundtracks)
  • Speed Dealer MomsBirth Control Pill (Electronic / Electro / IDM / EBM)
  • The ChurchEros Zeta & The Perfumed Guitars (Psyche / Space / Kraut / Prog)
  • Universal Order Of ArmageddonUniversal Order Of Armageddon (Punk / Hardcore / Post-Punk)
My guy Art Tatum really got out the grave to drop one more for us 👏

Personally, I liked it better than her last album
I think “Illusion” might be the best song she’s ever put out, edging out “Don’t Start Now”. “Falling Forever” feels like her first attempt to really throw her hat in the vocal powerhouse ring. I feel like the rest of the songs aren’t quite as catchy as the singles from Future Nostalgia but it feels like they show off her voice better and feel like a more natural fit for the type of pop star and person that she seems to be (or maybe that’s just me projecting and it all just sits better with me, haha). Maybe it’s just me, but there were some songs on Future Nostalgia where she was like rapping or had a lot of petty attitude that just didn’t seem to mesh with the way she acted in interviews - Radical Optimism feels a little more connected to that person.

Edit: I should note that “Physical” is also a banger, and is one of the few tracks on Future Nostalgia that has a chorus (and bridge) that lives up the hype built up by the verses. But yeah, overall Radical Optimism feels more like she’s having fun and less like she’s putting on a popstar costume.

Last edited:
Radar List for 5.10.24

EABS – Reflections Of A Purple Sun
Orville Peck – Stampede Vol. 1
Ballaké Sissoko & Derek Gripper – Ballaké Sissoko & Derek Gripper
Mary Lattimore & Walt McClements – Rain On The Road
Tom Skinner – Voices of Bishara Live at “mu”
Lyrics Born – That 1 Tyme In The Studio: Acoustic Selections
Kiefer Trio – Something For Real
Joy Guidry – AMEN
Jim White & Marisa Anderson – Swallowtail
Yaya Bey – Ten Fold