New Music Friday!

Ummm, we have to talk about how good the new Kesha album is...

Because it's really good, y'all.
If you like industrial dance music šŸŽµ and harsh abrasive post-punk sung entirely in a foreign language (French), than I highly recommend i've seen a way by Mandy Indiana!!!! šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„
I have no idea what to listen to right now, so I've added these two. The (still ongoing) feeling of new music burnout is the worst I've felt in years.
I haven't listened to many new releases outside of having billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps on repeat in the past two weeks.

I have no idea what to listen to right now, so I've added these two. The (still ongoing) feeling of new music burnout is the worst I've felt in years.
I haven't listened to many new releases outside of having billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps on repeat in the past two weeks.
I haven't listened to much new the last two weeks either, but a lot of that is work is a lot more busy for a variety of reasons and it has thrown all my listening off.

The (still ongoing) feeling of new music burnout is the worst I've felt in years.
I, too, have been in a new music funk for the past two months... it's been rough. 2023 has been the weakest year for me (so far) in a long time. The only album from April that has really stood out to me is also Maps from ā€Šbilly woods & Kenny Segal. We do have new Arlo Parks next Friday, and then June is looking incredibly stacked, so I'm hoping to get out of this funk soon!

Radar List for 5.26.23

Arlo Parks ā€“ My Soft Machine
Various ā€“ Red Hot & Ra: Nuclear War
Matthew Herbert x London Contemporary Orchestra ā€“ The Horse
Fishbone ā€“ Fishbone EP
Gia Margaret ā€“ Romantic Piano
hy, Low ā€“ Babylonica EP
Eliades Ochoa ā€“ Guajiro
EydĆ­s Evensen ā€“ The Light
Scrimshire ā€“ Paroxysm
Versus The World ā€“ The Bastards Live Forever
Joni Void ā€“ Parallax Error
Kassa Overall ā€“ Animals
Kutiman ā€“ Dense EP
AJJ ā€“ Disposable Everything
Kieli ā€“ From Summer to Spring

The last three weeks, with the majority of this being from last weekend up to now. Breaking out of the funk...I think.

šŸ”„
  • billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps [I don't think this should surprise anyone. Another W]
  • Susanne SundfĆør - blĆ³mi [oh my goodness, so gorgeous. Another art pop triumph]
šŸ‘
  • Heather Woods Broderick - Labyrinth
  • Feist - Multitudes
  • Kesha - Gag Order [far more enjoyable than I expected]
  • Lucy Liyou - Dog Dreams [my favorite of this grouping]
  • Madison McFerrin - I Hope You Can Forgive Me [she's talented for sure. But it doesn't feel finished]
  • Nourished by Time - Erotic Probiotic 2 [had some fun tracks, but seriously thought about dropping it a tier lower due to the obnoxious closer alone]
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • Cruel Diagonals - Fractured Whole
  • felicita - Spalarkle
  • Yaeji - With a Hammer [OK, I guess. I think the BNM tag is a little much]
šŸ‘Ž
  • HMLTD - The Worm [over the top...and not in a good way. Massive tumble in enjoyment from West of Eden]
šŸ¤®
  • The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein [woooooowwwwww this is not it. I'm disassociating progressively more and more from indie rock music in general, albums like this are not helping change my stance. Def bottom 10 of '23]

Second opinion: Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø āž”ļø šŸ”„ Gave this another chance on a bicycle ride through town. It's a winner. Nearly as good as Norman Fucking Rockwell! to me. "Paris, Texas" is one of my favorite songs of the year.

The last three weeks, with the majority of this being from last weekend up to now. Breaking out of the funk...I think.

šŸ”„
  • billy woods & Kenny Segal - Maps [I don't think this should surprise anyone. Another W]
  • Susanne SundfĆør - blĆ³mi [oh my goodness, so gorgeous. Another art pop triumph] ā¤ļø
šŸ‘
  • Feist - Multitudes
  • Madison McFerrin - I Hope You Can Forgive Me [she's talented for sure. But it doesn't feel finished]
  • Nourished by Time - Erotic Probiotic 2 [had some fun tracks, but seriously thought about dropping it a tier lower due to the obnoxious closer alone]
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • felicita - Spalarkle
šŸ‘Ž
  • HMLTD - The Worm [over the top...and not in a good way. Massive tumble in enjoyment from West of Eden]
šŸ¤®
  • The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein [woooooowwwwww this is not it. I'm disassociating progressively more and more from indie rock music in general, albums like this are not helping change my stance. Def bottom 10 of '23] šŸ‘Ž

Second opinion: Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø āž”ļø šŸ”„ Gave this another chance on a bicycle ride through town. It's a winner. Nearly as good as Norman Fucking Rockwell! to me. "Paris, Texas" is one of my favorite songs of the year. šŸ”„

šŸ”„
  • Susanne SundfĆør - blĆ³mi [oh my goodness, so gorgeous. Another art pop triumph]
šŸ‘
  • Feist - Multitudes
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • felicita - Spalarkle
šŸ‘Ž
šŸ¤®
  • The National - First Two Pages of Frankenstein [woooooowwwwww this is not it. I'm disassociating progressively more and more from indie rock music in general, albums like this are not helping change my stance. Def bottom 10 of '23]

Second opinion: Lana Del Rey - Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø āž”ļø šŸ”„ Gave this another chance on a bicycle ride through town. It's a winner. Nearly as good as Norman Fucking Rockwell! to me. "Paris, Texas" is one of my favorite songs of the year.

I really enjoy when you post these takes.

I'm with you on billy woods, it's getting better with each listen.

The Heather Woods Broderick is a sleeper for one of the year's best albums so far imo. It's low key, so it won't grab everyone, but it's been in constant rotation since it dropped and I don't see it falling out anytime soon.

šŸ”„
šŸ‘
  • Feist - Multitudes
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
  • felicita - Spalarkle
šŸ‘Ž
šŸ¤®

Glad someone else is on board with the Susanne SundfĆør. One of my favorites so far this year!

I just got this in my email and thought some people here might like it.

"The amiable embrace of ambivalence distinguishes Greg Goldberg and Craig Willseā€™s output as the Ballet from the work of their funny musical uncles, like the Magnetic Fieldsā€™ implacably ironic Stephin Merritt, the Hidden Camerasā€™ riot auteur Joel Gibb, even fairy godfathers Pet Shop Boys.ā€ Pitchfork [7.6]

Matthew Herbert & London Contemporary Orchestra's The Horse is wonderfully EPIC.

Challenging his considerable legacy with one of his most extraordinary projects to date, celebrated British artist, producer, composer and experimentalist Matthew Herbert presents The Horse. Based around a full-size horse skeleton and working alongside the London Contemporary Orchestra and an expansive cast of special collaborators, this is Herbert in full flight, restlessly curious and culminating in starkly original, ritualistic music loaded with intent.

The project started with a search for the largest possible animal skeleton to explore sonically. More than a raw sound source, the horse skeleton Herbert acquired soon revealed different angles of inspiration. One of the major narrative arcs through the album is its representation of the evolution of human music itself, opening in a compelling, primitive flurry of custom-made flutes from the horseā€™s thigh bones and bows crafted from ribs and horse hair. By the mid-section you can hear a ritualistic twang of raw string (from a gut string stretched over the pelvis) give way to sustained compositional suites before crescendoing in a fierce electronic-acoustic fusion as grandiose as it is propulsive. The musical range covered on the album speaks to Herbertā€™s extensive experience across electronic, contemporary classical and jazz - a daring and constantly compelling collection of compositions.

Equally, the subject of the horse itself and its significance in human history became a vital focus for the music. Material came from myriad sources, including site specific work such as recording reverb impulses in front of ancient cave paintings of horses in Northern Spain and capturing sound at the corner of Epsom race course where womenā€™s suffrage activist Emily Davison was trampled by King George Vā€™s racehorse in 1913. Over 6900 horse sounds were taken from the internet, horse skin drums were found and played and a shaker was even fashioned from a mixture of cement and polo horse semen. Instrument makers such as Sam Underwood, Graham Dunning, Henry Dagg and Lee Patterson were commissioned to approach parts of the skeleton in different ways, some creating mechanical percussive instruments and carving out the aforementioned bone flutes, others blowing tiny air bubbles through the neck vertebrae.

As well as the consistent presence of the LCO, The Horse features contributions from world-leading soloists across generations, including Sons of Kemetā€™s Shabaka Hutchings and Theon Cross, Evan Parker, regular Wayne Shorter collaborator Danilo PĆ©rez, Polar Bearā€™s Seb Rochford and Kokorokoā€™s Edward Wakili-Hick. Additional sound design work was carried out by Rana Eid in Beirut and Ella Kay in Manchester. Their respective instrumental and textural touches fold in on the work of the London Contemporary Orchestra, a collective celebrated for their unusual and extended playing techniques and regularly called upon by Jonny Greenwood, Thom Yorke and others. On this record they particularly worked with immediacy, recording raw samples in one session and then playing along to themselves in the next, creating a circular composition style against the grain of classical convention.

While staying true to Herbertā€™s storied legacy in thoughtful, experimental music, the scope of The Horse is even broader than his past work. For all the many streams of input and styles reaching from classical minimalism to vibrant, organic techno, itā€™s a focused album crafted to be experienced as a whole body of work in one sitting, and yet each sound comes loaded with Herbertā€™s inquisitive purpose. The sonic onus is on the work of the collective and their unlikely muse, and the result is a living, breathing exercise which veritably brings this unknown horse back to life.

(bolding my own to draw attention to some incredible collaborators)

Back