New Music Friday!

Secret Measure by Glaswegian duo Cloth is a pretty good dream-pop post-rock indie album! If you like the lush dream pop of Cocteau Twins and the moody restraint and minimalist guitar 🎸 of the xx this is likely for you 😉
Massive thank you for rec'ing this Cloth album! This album is instantly one of my favorites of the year. I can't believe I'd never heard of this band before, as they are right in my wheelhouse. The tracks Lido, Ladder and Money Planet are just spectacular.

This is what I love about keeping up with new music, even as a really avid music listener when it comes to things I enjoy there are still these moments of being dumbfounded as to why I've never heard an artist when I pop it on.

Massive thank you for rec'ing this Cloth album! This album is instantly one of my favorites of the year. I can't believe I'd never heard of this band before, as they are right in my wheelhouse. The tracks Lido, Ladder and Money Planet are just spectacular.

This is what I love about keeping up with new music, even as a really avid music listener when it comes to things I enjoy there are still these moments of being dumbfounded as to why I've never heard an artist when I pop it on.
My pleasure 😊 Glad you're enjoying the album. Agreed on Lido, the jazzy outro is 👌 Ladder 🪜 is also very good, as is Money 💰 Plant 👍

Radar List 2023/05/12
Helen Money / Will Thomas - Trace (Modern Classical / Ambient)
James Ellis Ford - The Hum (Electronic)
OVAL - Romantiq (Modern Classical / Ambient, Electronic)
Eluvium - (Whirring Marvels In) Consensus Reality (Electronic, Pop/Rock)

I've actually managed to listen to some of my list from last week, and it was a good week for new stuff 😊

Radar List 2023/05/12
Helen Money / Will Thomas - Trace (Modern Classical / Ambient)
James Ellis Ford - The Hum (Electronic)
OVAL - Romantiq (Modern Classical / Ambient, Electronic)
Eluvium - (Whirring Marvels In) Consensus Reality (Electronic, Pop/Rock)

I've actually managed to listen to some of my list from last week, and it was a good week for new stuff 😊
I'm pretty sure almost all of the Eluvium has been released thus far, but I've been avoiding it when I realized that was how he was going to release it. I have only heard the first two singles and am waiting until Friday for the full effect.

Trace and Romantiq also sound interesting based off the Bandcamp previews, I'll have to look into those too!

I've never listened to an Ed Sheeran album before today. Why is he a thing? I mean, it's okay, it's not offensive or anything. Seems like sleepy time music. Just curious as to what the deal is. Or is he just cute?

I've never listened to an Ed Sheeran album before today. Why is he a thing? I mean, it's okay, it's not offensive or anything. Seems like sleepy time music. Just curious as to what the deal is. Or is he just cute?
He’s music that 13 year old girls and their moms can both listen to in the car on the way to Volleyball practice.

Never listened to him either, and don’t really care to. Just seems super boring based on the limited singles I have heard. I am aware how closed minded I sound, but I’m okay with that in this instance.

Regardless of how he sounds or why he's a thing, I just think the cover art for his new album is an absolute travesty.

I watched him live on the TV once, and it is very cool how he uses looper pedals to layer his sounds and basically be a "one-man band". Not cool enough to bother with his records, but it is interesting to see him pull it off live, once.

I watched him live on the TV once, and it is very cool how he uses looper pedals to layer his sounds and basically be a "one-man band". Not cool enough to bother with his records, but it is interesting to see him pull it off live, once.
I mean Keller Williams and Kishi Bashi both do that and make good music.

The last couple of weeks have really delivered in some expected and unexpected ways.

Expected: The new billy woods & Kenny Segal didn't hit me initially like Aethiopes did, but wow is it rewarding multiple listens, and getting better and better. Another amazing album from him I'll be returning to often.

Unexpected: Cloth. I didn't know about this band prior to a rec on here. I absolutely love this album's moody XX / shoegaze vibes. This music isn't going to suit everyone's tastes, but it's exactly my taste.

Unexpected: The KAMAUU album is slick af! Wow this guy is talented. I'm gonna be playing this driving on the regular this summer.

Slightly Disappointing: I thought Indigo De Souza's last album was fantastic, so I had really high expectations for the new one. The first two singles had me really excited (Younger & Dumber, Smog), but I'm not finding the same quality in the rest. I still enjoy the album, just might need to recalibrate my expectations.

Unexpected: The KAMAUU album is slick af! Wow this guy is talented. I'm gonna be playing this driving on the regular this summer.

His EP A Gorgeous Fortune from a few years back is one of my faves! Reminds me... i shoulf add that to the RSD survey. There are videos for every song on the EP too - simple but very enjoyable, you can tell they were all shot together in short order.

Expected: The new billy woods & Kenny Segal didn't hit me initially like Aethiopes did, but wow is it rewarding multiple listens, and getting better and better. Another amazing album from him I'll be returning to often.

Aethiopes was the first billy woods to really click for me, this one even more so. I don't know what it is/was about him that took me awhile to come around to, but I'm glad I did.

An incidental little thing I enjoyed about KAMAUU's album is that I was listening to Kojey Radical the day before thinking it would be realy sweet to hear he and Tobe Nwigwe do a collab, and while that doesn’t happen here, it was cool to see them both feature on it!

Still hoping for that collab though, I think they could put something real juicy together!

An incidental little thing I enjoyed about KAMAUU's album is that I was listening to Kojey Radical the day before thinking it would be realy sweet to hear he and Tobe Nwigwe do a collab, and while that doesn’t happen here, it was cool to see them both feature on it!

Still hoping for that collab though, I think they could put something real juicy together!
Interesting thing about KAMAUU, which is actually how I learned of him, prior to knowing about his hip hop career, is that he runs these Sound Bath experiences near where I'm living atm, like every two months. Link. They are unreal. He doesn't rap during them, but builds loops through synth, chanting and singing. His voice is incredible. They are more than a soundbath, in that he really tries to build community with other types of participatory exercises. What a cool guy.

Interesting thing about KAMAUU, which is actually how I learned of him, prior to knowing about his hip hop career, is that he runs these Sound Bath experiences near where I'm living atm, like every two months. Link. They are unreal. He doesn't rap during them, but builds loops through synth, chanting and singing. His voice is incredible. They are more than a soundbath, in that he really tries to build community with other types of participatory exercises. What a cool guy.

That is so awesome! Definitely something I can picture him doing based on listening to his music for the past few years, but super cool to know it and he are the real deal.

Back