New Music Friday!

the new Mac De Marco - 5 easy Hot Dogs

is........

instrumental?!!

I am confused.

Yup! The press release talks about him making an instrumental album while traveling alone and each song is named after where it was located. I don’t know if I smoke enough weed anymore to really enjoy a Mac DeMarco instrumental album.

Yup! The press release talks about him making an instrumental album while traveling alone and each song is named after where it was located. I don’t know if I smoke enough weed anymore to really enjoy a Mac DeMarco instrumental album.
thanks @TenderLovingKiller®
I hadn't kept to date with the press releases around this album.
Was excited for some witty pop, and got hypnotized by what I heard.
I mean, it's not bad, but it's very slow going and repetitive, and it lacks the fun of his lyrics.

giphy.gif

I haven't seen this Jadu Heart album mentioned here yet which I stumbled upon today thanks to r/indieheads. This has loads of different sounds but feels like something that would have been released around 2013~2014. Like post-chillwave, dream pop, electronica. If you're nostalgic for that era of indie rock/dream pop, give this a listen!

Today at work I listened to a Guided By Voices album for the first time ever and rather enjoyed it.

I know they've been doing their thing for quite awhile now and have a few fans here (@TenderLovingKiller® and @Matt M pop immediately to mind, but I know there are more of you!) so I'd be curious if any of you have listened to it yet and whereabouts, roughly, it might rank in terms of their catalogue if so. I've obviously got some work to do and more listening ahead of me, as if keeping up on new releases, two 1001 albums threads, a spin challenge and my own collection playthrough plus backlog weren't keeping me busy enough! 😂

Today at work I listened to a Guided By Voices album for the first time ever and rather enjoyed it.

I know they've been doing their thing for quite awhile now and have a few fans here (@TenderLovingKiller® and @Matt M pop immediately to mind, but I know there are more of you!) so I'd be curious if any of you have listened to it yet and whereabouts, roughly, it might rank in terms of their catalogue if so. I've obviously got some work to do and more listening ahead of me, as if keeping up on new releases, two 1001 albums threads, a spin challenge and my own collection playthrough plus backlog weren't keeping me busy enough! 😂
@MadLucas might have the most comprehensive GBVs collection in the N&G community.

I have not yet listened to their new one but they've been a quite a run basically Pollard's current band (which features Bobby Bare Jr.) has released good to great albums since 2017's August By Cake.

Here is a playlist I made of earlier stuff, what I consider prime GBV it might make a decent primer.

@MadLucas might have the most comprehensive GBVs collection in the N&G community.

I have not yet listened to their new one but they've been a quite a run basically Pollard's current band (which features Bobby Bare Jr.) has released good to great albums since 2017's August By Cake.

Here is a playlist I made of earlier stuff, what I consider prime GBV it might make a decent primer.

Much obliged!

Much obliged!
Yeah, it’s hard to rank all GBV’s release in one shot since Pollard basically releases at least 4 albums a year at this point. It’s probably easier to break it into eras.
The early Scat years
The Breakthrough Matador years
The Majors and aftermath
The Solo years
The Reunion years
The new band same Bob Years

Basically there is good things in each era but for me the prime GBV era would be from Propeller through through Half Smiles in f The Decomposed. With their high point being their 3 album run of Bee Thousand, Aliens, and Under The Bushes Under The Stars.

Yeah, it’s hard to rank all GBV’s release in one shot since Pollard basically releases at least 4 albums a year at this point. It’s probably easier to break it into eras.
The early Scat years
The Breakthrough Matador years
The Majors and aftermath
The Solo years
The Reunion years
The new band same Bob Years

Basically there is good things in each era but for me the prime GBV era would be from Propeller through through Half Smiles in f The Decomposed. With their high point being their 3 album run of Bee Thousand, Aliens, and Under The Bushes Under The Stars.
@avecigrec I can heartily endorse starting with Bee Thousand. I've found other GBV releases that I enjoy, but that one still takes the cake.

I legitimately own every album (all but one on LP!) so I definitely have a lot to say on the subject of this band.

@TenderLovingKiller® is not wrong about how great Bee Thousand is. My personal favorite go-to album for them is Under The Bushes under The Stars.

Considering they have almost 40 albums at this point, it can be a little overwhelming. But by all means, if you do choose to check out either of those albums, I would love to hear your final thoughts on them to know what you would want to hear next!

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy of the new one, but boy oh boy have the recent GBV albums been delightful. It's certainly a lot to keep up with, but if you want to test drive a recent one, I heartily recommend the phenomenal Earth Man Blues. Yeah, the mid-90s stuff gets the most acclaim, but I think a legitimate case can be made they they (or Robert Pollard) are in their golden age right now.

Back