New Music Friday!

Most disappointing:

Arcade Fire - We. Decent enough, but like, no staying power. And the more I listened to it the less I cared about it. It feels pretty uninspired.

Caroline - Caroline. I was kinda excited for this based on little bits of buzz I saw. But god I found the album to be so boring. I tried to get into it, to meet it on its own terms but I just didn’t care.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love. There seemed to be so much hype for this and then so much praise. But it’s such a long album with only pockets of good material. I found most songs to do nothing for me. But the ones that do still had things about them that irritated me. Like Aquatic Mouth Dance…stupid title and annoying lyrics but musically it’s like the best on the record.

I missed any and all announcements about this one, so it was a nice surprise to find it in my Stupify notifications just now!

saul-williams-soundtrack-cover-1024x1024.jpg

Was a pretty good week of dedicated listening for this last week of new-to-me Q2 listening. CS + Kreme and Patricia Wolf concert was OK, with Patricia being the primary motivator.

🔥
  • Petrol Girls - Baby [with the highest judicial court bullshit, this was released at the absolute perfect time. I think I've determined that I dig riot grrl tunes a lot given the preceding sentence. "Baby, I Had an Abortion" had me rekt]
  • Regina Spektor - Home, Before and After [yeah...you guys are right. My first time listening to her]
  • Zola Jesus - Arkhon [you know that I love my art pop...especially when the focus is on atmosphere]
👍
  • Empress Of - Save Me (EP)
  • Lupe Fiasco - DRILL MUSIC IN ZION [always a handful of fun references with his verses, this album bearing a few. Also, I just learned that he composed this entire record within three days. Given the quality of the record and short timeframe, I might bump this to 🔥]
  • Perfume Genius - Ugly Season
  • Loris S. Sarid - Seabed-Sunbath [dazzling ambient/new age. While it doesn't rank above my three favorite ambient selections from Q1, it is worth a mention...a given my bias for the genre]
🤷‍♂️
  • Harry Styles - Harry's House
👎
  • Sigrid - How to Let Go [I'm off the train, but I only had one foot on to begin with. Doesn't stand out from other pop, even from earlier this decade]
🤮

None. Was mostly able to avoid this tier for Q2.​

So here's my selection for today, July 1st. Sorry for the delay. Happy listening everybody 👂🎶😊

Momma "Household Name" (Indie Rock)

Guided by Voices "Tremblers And Goggles By Rank" (Indie-Rock, Lo-Fi, Indie-Pop, College-Rock)

Gwenno "Tresor" (Electropop, indie pop)

Greg Puciato "Mirrorcell" (Heavy metal; metalcore; mathcore; electronic; synthwave)

Moor Mother "Jazz Codes" (Experimental, Modern Jazz, Irreversible Entanglements)

Imagine Dragons "Mercury Act 2" (Rock)

HEIZE "UNDO" (R&B; Neo soul; Hip hop; pop)

Gazo "KMT" (French rap; Drill music; hip hop)

Naima Bock "Giant Palm" (Folk, Jazz, Brasilian, traditional)

Franck Vigroux "Atotal" (Electroacoustic, free improvisation)

Two Shell "Icons" (Electronic)

Paolo Nutini "Last Night In The Bittersweet" (Indie-Rock, Soul, Pop, Jazz)

Shinedown "Planet Zero" (Hard Rock, Grunge, Metal)

Summrs "Fallen Raven" (Hip Hop)

Most disappointing:

Arcade Fire - We. Decent enough, but like, no staying power. And the more I listened to it the less I cared about it. It feels pretty uninspired.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love. There seemed to be so much hype for this and then so much praise. But it’s such a long album with only pockets of good material. I found most songs to do nothing for me. But the ones that do still had things about them that irritated me. Like Aquatic Mouth Dance…stupid title and annoying lyrics but musically it’s like the best on the record.
You are spot on with both of these 🗑

So here's my selection for today, July 1st. Sorry for the delay. Happy listening everybody 👂🎶😊

Momma "Household Name" (Indie Rock)

Guided by Voices "Tremblers And Goggles By Rank" (Indie-Rock, Lo-Fi, Indie-Pop, College-Rock)

Gwenno "Tresor" (Electropop, indie pop)

Greg Puciato "Mirrorcell" (Heavy metal; metalcore; mathcore; electronic; synthwave)

Moor Mother "Jazz Codes" (Experimental, Modern Jazz, Irreversible Entanglements)

Imagine Dragons "Mercury Act 2" (Rock)

HEIZE "UNDO" (R&B; Neo soul; Hip hop; pop)

Gazo "KMT" (French rap; Drill music; hip hop)

Naima Bock "Giant Palm" (Folk, Jazz, Brasilian, traditional)

Franck Vigroux "Atotal" (Electroacoustic, free improvisation)

Two Shell "Icons" (Electronic)

Paolo Nutini "Last Night In The Bittersweet" (Indie-Rock, Soul, Pop, Jazz)

Shinedown "Planet Zero" (Hard Rock, Grunge, Metal)

Summrs "Fallen Raven" (Hip Hop)
Thanks, as always, for your detailed radar list! My most anticipated for today is the sophomore album from UK sludge/hardcore/post-metal band Conjurer. It was Bandcamp's album of the day yesterday, so we'll see if it lives up to the hype 🤘

Big fan of the Momma album this morning

Also, I would have skipped past the Jack Johnson album but after I saw that he worked with Blake Mills on this one, I gave it a listen and it’s pretty nice as well

Yeah, I heard one song off the Momma record and immediately ordered it on wax. Wasn’t aware of Mills involvement but he tends to make most things better so I will have to give it a go too.

Yeah, I am loving it. I pick up some Veruca Salt in the vocal harmonies.
absolutely! I'm getting some Hum or Smashing Pumpkins vibes as well. The song I posted has that sort of, I don't know how to describe other than, kind of staggered, yet driving drums that you only really find in 90s alt rock bands. See: "Cherub Rock", "Quiet", "Siva". Smashing Pumkins really made a name for themselves with that sound lol

absolutely! I'm getting some Hum or Smashing Pumpkins vibes as well. The song I posted has that sort of, I don't know how to describe other than, kind of staggered, yet driving drums that you only really find in 90s alt rock bands. See: "Cherub Rock", "Quiet", "Siva". Smashing Pumkins really made a name for themselves with that sound lol
The music video you posted reminded me of a 90s video too. Love it.

Back