Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

In California, LA country has reinstated the mask mandate as COVID cases start to surge after the 4th of July holiday and Delta is spreading.

Meanwhile, the LA Sheriff says the mask mandate contradicts the CDC guidelines and that he will not enforce it.

When asked if he would where a mask, he said he would if an establishment requires it, but he's not going to follow the country mandate to wear a mask and will treat it as voluntary for vaccinated people.

He doesn't believe in masks, and says the real issue is we need to get people vaccinated. 99.9% of people in the hospital with COVID are unvaccinated.

In California, LA country has reinstated the mask mandate as COVID cases start to surge after the 4th of July holiday and Delta is spreading.

Meanwhile, the LA Sheriff says the mask mandate contradicts the CDC guidelines and that he will not enforce it.

When asked if he would where a mask, he said he would if an establishment requires it, but he's not going to follow the country mandate to wear a mask and will treat it as voluntary for vaccinated people.

He doesn't believe in masks, and says the real issue is we need to get people vaccinated. 99.9% of people in the hospital with COVID are unvaccinated.

I am curious where he would stand, as a law enforcer, on the idea of a vaccine mandate.

COVID-19 vaccination rates among Florida’s nursing home workers rank among the worst in the nation — above only Louisiana — while infections among residents remain about twice the national average, a report released Monday by the AARP finds.

As the state’s overall coronavirus infections have begun rising at an alarming rate, less than 42% of nursing home staff had been fully vaccinated by June 20, the AARP reported, and more recent data from the federal government shows the rate at 43.8%, still the second lowest nationally. Meanwhile, staff in Hawaii — the top-ranked state — boasted nearly an 84% vaccination rate. The national average was 56%.

Well, it's a good thing that Florida doesn't have a lot of elderly people. Oh, wait...

Well, it's a good thing that Florida doesn't have a lot of elderly people. Oh, wait...
Well sure we have a large number of conservative pricks that are aggressively unempathetic and a large population that is highly vulnerable, but at least our medical system is trash and our economy is highly dependent on tourism.

edit: this is my local old folks' home -- as in, I could walk there without breaking a sweat and drive by it daily -- https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article251561513.html

When is the right time to ease restrictions? (I don't know the answer) Covid is going to be here forever and we have to make the leap at some point, can't be locked down forever.
Too big of a question for me I'm afraid, perhaps Dr. F would answer that ? I'm just sorry to see common sense and caring be thrown by the wayside and now another surge is upon our healthcare workers.

To see the vaccines begin to waver a bit (with breakthrough delta cases) along with continued unvaccinated it is a bit unsettling.

When is the right time to ease restrictions? (I don't know the answer) Covid is going to be here forever and we have to make the leap at some point, can't be locked down forever.
When vaccines are freely available and easy to get, I kind of think you have to move forward (which is only the case in a very few countries). Otherwise we will be locked down forever because 40% of the country (world?) is being stubborn.

COVID will be with us forever as a more serious version of the flu. You will get a yearly shot in order to stay safe. We will come to accept larger death totals over time.

For my part, I think Drew Magary is onto something with respect to overcoming hesitancy, arguing a point that Dougherty dismisses:
Well, I won’t argue that it would be effective for some and would push them to getting vaccinated. The question is are there other ways to accomplish the same goal with those folks? I would refer you to the reasons why Dougherty sets that option aside. The risks for radicalization and violence are very, very real as has been shown in France. Now think about how much the general resistance and mistrust of the government is baked into the American DNA and ask how that would go.

The reality is that the insufferable twatwaffle (God, I wanted to track him down and punch him in the throat after three paragraphs) you linked to is exactly the kind of person this article was written for. He’s also exactly the kind of person that won’t listen because they are more interested in showing their smug superiority than actually doing anything of value.

You know, his politics bleed into a LOT of his online writing, so I totally see how it'd be hard to get past if you have a different perspective, but I think he's really good (I tune out of the sports writing, but I assume he's good there too). His novel The Hike has a little following, for good reason. From my memory of it, at least, I think you might even like it. It has one of the best/most memorable endings I've read in a long while. It's weird, but short and rewarding IMO.

Anyway -- it seems like the central conflict is a differing view on who holds the responsibility here. Dougherty argues that pro-vax people are obligated to persuade the unvaccinated, whereas Magary argues that it's the unvaccinated population's responsibility to come to the table or accept the consequences. There is room for both, I think, to persuade the persuadable and to start to treat the rest as if they've spent their social capital on their freedom to remain unvaccinated.
It wasn’t his politics, but his delivery. I didn’t even get to reading the parts directly related to our discussion. From what I read I hope it’s a schtick because if he is 10% of the person he comes across as he deserves to be punched in the dick, repeatedly and with great force. Of course when I learned he came out of the Gawkersphere, it made all the sense in the world. I do appreciate you introducing me to a byline that I now know to avoid at all costs in the future. (Seriously, no sarcasm there.)

I would say Dougherty is less about who’s responsibility things are and blame laying than practical outcomes. What’s going to be most effective in the end?

I know some of y’all are going to see National Review and immediately balk, but give it a chance. It’s a really well written piece on what’s causing vaccine hesitancy and overcoming it.

Convincing the Skeptics | National Review

Thanks for posting this. I also noticed the author linked the following two articles, which have helped me feel a little bit better, since I'm a parent of two young kids 2 and 4 and am always a heart-hypocondriac (if that's a thing):

I don't think any of his proposals are bad ones. It's his analysis of the thicket of rationales the unvaccinated put forth that rubs me the wrong way. But that's probably no surprise, and this is probably the wrong thread (and I'm on a break from the right one).
I think the best way to approach that subject is to depersonalize it. If a tree falls in the road blocking your path, getting mad at the tree doesn’t help anything. It’s simply and obstacle to get around and what’s the best way to do so? Sometimes there’s enough room to drive around it. Sometimes it takes more work to and maybe you have to pull it off the road. Regardless of the best method for that tree, it’s simply an obstacle to overcome, not a personal affront.

Where I think this viewpoint really helps is that working margins here makes a big difference. If you convince just 5% of the population of the US to get vaccinated, that’s 16.5 million people. That’s a lot of folks and goes a long way towards a better end result.

Thanks for posting this. I also noticed the author linked the following two articles, which have helped me feel a little bit better, since I'm a parent of two young kids 2 and 4 and am always a heart-hypocondriac (if that's a thing):

My oldest just turned 12 last Wednesday and we were talking to him about the vaccine. I was very concerned about the myocarditis that was popping up in young males after the vaccine, but I read more about it and realized that this was very rare and that after 3 months, there was no detectible damage or dysfunction. We are going this weekend to get his first shot.

My oldest just turned 12 last Wednesday and we were talking to him about the vaccine. I was very concerned about the myocarditis that was popping up in young males after the vaccine, but I read more about it and realized that this was very rare and that after 3 months, there was no detectible damage or dysfunction. We are going this weekend to get his first shot.
That’s great! I hope it goes well and he doesn’t have a bad post vaccine reaction. I’m honestly a bit hesitant to vaccinate my very young children (even though me and my wife are both vaccinated) but I think we’ll do it as well once the data comes in and it seems safe.

Back