Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

But in an effort to curb the coronavirus, the city council voted to close the beaches March 20. The town went so far as to put up barricades and signs to keep beachgoers away.

The town's good intentions were upended on Thursday when Gov. Brian P. Kemp issued a statewide shelter-in-place executive order which supersedes all local orders relating to coronavirus -- and also opened up the state's beaches.
The governor put Tybee Island back in the beach business -- whether the town liked it or not.

Tybee Island Mayor Shirley Sessions fired back on Saturday, issuing a statement saying she and the town council don't want the beaches reopened now.

"As the Pentagon ordered 100,000 body bags to store the corpses of Americans killed by the Coronavirus, Governor Brian Kemp dictated that Georgia beaches must reopen, and declared any decision-makers who refused to follow these orders would face prison and/or fines," Sessions' statement read.

They're still open in Ohio.

Look, I realize the only reacts to your post were angry faces, but I've posted publicly in this thread that I've golfed more than once during the stay at home order and I'm telling you I felt 1000x safer doing that than going to any public park where I'm passing people on trails every minute. As long as they follow the guidelines for cleanliness and limit personal interactions in order to get playing, I think it's a great way to get some fresh air safely.
Except for the people who have to work on the golf course, risking their lives so you can get your fresh air.

Except for the people who have to work on the golf course, risking their lives so you can get your fresh air.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread about my times going out, it's online pay and check-in and I walk the course so the worker doesn't have to interact with me for more than 10 seconds from a distance. The clubhouse is closed so it's all open air. I walk so I don't use a cart, and many courses have stopped using carts altogether to comply with the Governor's order. I don't see any of those interactions as risky to myself or to the workers.

It's interesting that Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Hampshire essentially behaved even though they didn't have a stay at home order at the time.

MD IN DA HOUSE! I actually have been very impressed with our governor. He has been very communicative, rational and firm. We've been a bit (sometimes by just by a few hours) ahead of DC and VA in terms of response. But all 3 (well at least Northern VA) have been working together pretty well.

Edit: And by DC, I definitely do not mean the federal response. I mean the local leaders.

Last edited:
Like I mentioned earlier in this thread about my times going out, it's online pay and check-in and I walk the course so the worker doesn't have to interact with me for more than 10 seconds from a distance. The clubhouse is closed so it's all open air. I walk so I don't use a cart, and many courses have stopped using carts altogether to comply with the Governor's order. I don't see any of those interactions as risky to myself or to the workers.
But it’s not about your interactions with them. The fact that the golf course is open means that they have to be out of their houses, putting themselves, their families, and anyone else they come in contact with at risk. The more people who aren’t just at home, the greater the risk, and ultimately, the more death.
I’m not slagging on you for golfing - I’m disappointed in the government for not being leaders and shutting everything possible down.

So in news from this side of the ocean

Our Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, has re-registered as a dr and plans to work a shift every week to help out.

In Scotland the Chief Medical Officer, who had been co-ordinating the response, has had to be stepped down from all future public events and may lose her job after being cautioned by the Police for breaking the lockdown twice over the weekend to take her kids to a holiday home by the beach 🤦🏻

BoJo is in hospital after his symptoms haven’t gone away but isn’t handing over the command...

And some old rich lady spoke on the tele and people seem to think that’s significant?

Is Johnson just having tests or is he really unwell and this is just careful media management?

So... just how likely is a second wave? I'm in a situation to where I have to register for classes in the fall next week and I, personally, want to try to take online classes as a precaution for if we get thrust back into shutdown mode again. But everyone else seems to think everything is just gonna be back to normal by the time fall classes start, which I personally am starting to doubt.
I honestly don't see this ending until there is a cure/vaccine (and the likelihood of that being managed well by the current administration is nil). I think there is going to be a second wave. If the first even subsides.

Back