Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My boss found a loophole and we (our company) are now deemed essential.
Monday at 3 pm they laid us off for three weeks. Tuesday at 1pm my boss called me and said we are back open. He also said I shouldn't feel pressure to go back to work so I stayed home, and I guess I will for this week.

I have mixed feelings about this. I realize nobody wants the economy to bottom out, and I'm happy to have my job back already, but couldn't my company have given it a couple days to take a breath and assess this situation? Aren't we supposed to stay home to help this not spread? (I know that answer)
I think so many people are like 'F this, I gotta get to work' that the Governor's orders are basically being ignored by a large portion of the population.

As I was typing this post, I've gotten a bunch of texts from coworkers about how busy we are. Like, I'm needed there because we're falling behind. I don't know what to do.

'Stay Home, Work Safe' (shelter in place) went into effect last night at midnight. Community leaders and Mayor kept restating, grocery stores, gas stations, and essential places will not close... welp, grocery stores this morning had a line wrapping around the building around San Antonio. Some pictures I'm seeing have people standing very close in line. Everybody keeps restating, don't panic, grocery stores will remain open... Why don't people listen... :cautious: 🤦‍♂️

Stores have taped out safe standing distances in my town.

Experts are saying COVID-19 is more deadly than the 1918 Spanish Flu.

The death rate of COVID-19 is between 1 and 2 percent. There has only been one expert to date that has estimated the death rate for the 1918 Spanish flu as greater than 1%.

Remember, the standard flu is .002% to .007% when talking about the death rate.

Monday at 3 pm they laid us off for three weeks. Tuesday at 1pm my boss called me and said we are back open. He also said I shouldn't feel pressure to go back to work so I stayed home, and I guess I will for this week.

I have mixed feelings about this. I realize nobody wants the economy to bottom out, and I'm happy to have my job back already, but couldn't my company have given it a couple days to take a breath and assess this situation? Aren't we supposed to stay home to help this not spread? (I know that answer)
I think so many people are like 'F this, I gotta get to work' that the Governor's orders are basically being ignored by a large portion of the population.

As I was typing this post, I've gotten a bunch of texts from coworkers about how busy we are. Like, I'm needed there because we're falling behind. I don't know what to do.

If you truly are an essential industry, my vote would be to get to work. Not so much for the economy. That’s just a side effect. If you are in an essential industry, many others are depending on you.

Do you mind me asking what it is you do? I'm feeling the pressure myself. I work in a Data Center and I'm still coming in, in fact it was "Highly suggested" we work ten hour days, so I'm doing that too. I feel like if I don't I'm the asshole letting everyone else down. =(

Like I mentioned earlier, today is the first day of Indiana's shelter in place order. As I type this I'm watching my 20-something neighbor arrange ~10 chairs around the fire pit in her back yard. She lives alone.
My next door neighbors had a kids birthday party over the weekend, I wanted do go yell at them like an Italian Mayor.

Capitalism is making us, somewhat, grateful that we still have jobs and may not need to worry about losing income. If you do not come in contact with a lot of people at your job (not public facing) I guess that's a good thing that you're still working?? I don't know.

I'm grateful that I'm working from home, but talk to people daily running essential businesses (Car Dealerships, sales mostly closed, service still deemed essential) and am torn between being happy that they are still open so I can be employed but also upset because they're likely making things worse by spreading the virus.

MN finally issuing shelter in place rules by the end of the week.

The governor really did an excellent job explaining things here, making it specific to the state. "it's too late to flatten the curve... our attempt is to move the infection rate out" "prop-up the medical facilities" "when the second wave of infection comes then we will have a chance to flatten the curve"

This is in my lovely state where we have been on lockdown orders for over a week.

I am sincerely afraid of what is about to happen in the USA.
We are seeing a curve that compares to Italy's right now in the New Orleans area.
Do you mind me asking what it is you do? I'm feeling the pressure myself. I work in a Data Center and I'm still coming in, in fact it was "Highly suggested" we work ten hour days, so I'm doing that too. I feel like if I don't I'm the asshole letting everyone else down. =(
Our off shore centers are in India and they've locked the country down. So I get to do a bunch of data processing that used to be done elsewhere. Thank goodness I can work from home.

This is the news coming out of NOLA as of yesterday. Our hospitals are starting to fill to capacity with estimates that we will be at capacity April 1st. We are also running out of supplies and desperately need ventilators. Tuesday deaths were at 45. Today they are at 65. I am scared and upset. We are going to lose so many people down here.

Back