Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My wife's description of her hospital right now is close to horrifying.
Almost 50 Covid patients. (that's almost the highest since this all started.) I guess Michigan has become a hotspot AGAIN.
47 people in the ER with various ailments waiting for rooms, some since the 14th, and some of which haven't been looked at since then.
It sounds like a third world country over there...this is where we are nowadays? It's maddening.

My wife's description of her hospital right now is close to horrifying.
Almost 50 Covid patients. (that's almost the highest since this all started.) I guess Michigan has become a hotspot AGAIN.
47 people in the ER with various ailments waiting for rooms, some since the 14th, and some of which haven't been looked at since then.
It sounds like a third world country over there...this is where we are nowadays? It's maddening.
Yes, for some reason, MI is a hot spot, and so is Pennsylvania(?). There's no real great data that shows any sort of causality, and they are saying that this surge is all Delta variant, which I though already ripped through this population.

Also, unrelated, but related...

Results Approximately 10% of infants born to mothers with SARS-CoV-2 infections during pregnancy showed developmental delays. Two of 298 infants tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, and both had normal ASQ-3 scores. The majority of the pregnant women had SARS-CoV-2 infection during their third trimester. The risk of developmental delays among infants was higher in those whose mothers had SARS-CoV-2 infections during the first (P=0.039) and second trimesters (P=0.001) than in those whose mothers had SARS-CoV-2 infections during the third trimester. Infants born at <31 weeks gestation were more prone to developmental delays than those born at >31 weeks gestation (10% versus 0.8%; P=0.002).
Conclusion The findings of the study highlight the need for long term neurodevelopmental assessment of infants born to mothers with SARS-CoV-2 infection.

As someone who ran a state birth defects database, birth defect surveillance is abysmal. When I was working for the state, about 12 years ago, only 22 states actually reported into the CDC on birth defects. I'm keeping an eye on this because I'm very interested in abnormal neurodevelopment. This is alarming, but the sample size (N) is rather small (a couple hundred) which is not near enough to show anything more than cooccurrence, but man, are these results wild.

Been sitting on this paper after reading it last week. Some unexpected findings in there that bring up a lot of questions and concerns.

-The paper shows that white tailed deer populations in the northern US states have a very high prevalence of sero-positivity to SARS-COV-2. Meaning that they caught SARS-COV-2 in the past.

-They looked at historical blood samples and the seropositivity correlates well with the start of the pandemic in 2020, so cross-reactivity is not likely. Still makes me wonder, because these are not PCR tests where they specifically identified the virus, but the identification of antibodies that bind SARS-COV-2. But that correlation in time is hard to overlook.

-We're talking about high prevalence here: 67% of deer in MI, 44% in PE, 31% in NY and 7% in IL.

-So what the fuck is going on? How did deer catch this? And then how did they spread it to each other or did they? They spend their time outside and are mostly solitary. Could there be a common infection source, say drinking water? And what the hell, Michigan?

-Biggest issue with this is that there is now a documented natural source for SARSCOV2. So even if we eradicate in humans, it can always return. Are there other animal reservoirs? Minks come to mind.

I guy I used to play cards with and his wife are both in the ICU for COVID. She was just put on a ventilator. They JUST had a baby...

Every time I forget how bad things have gotten I get reminded that this still fuckin' sucks.

This is why it drives me insane when people say that this just the flu and that deaths are inflated. I know so many people in denial about this and say you really aren't at risk unless you have some preexisting conditions. Before Covid, I had never heard of someone getting put on a ventilator in their thirties that wasn't for some type of major surgery.

Been sitting on this paper after reading it last week. Some unexpected findings in there that bring up a lot of questions and concerns.

-The paper shows that white tailed deer populations in the northern US states have a very high prevalence of sero-positivity to SARS-COV-2. Meaning that they caught SARS-COV-2 in the past.

-They looked at historical blood samples and the seropositivity correlates well with the start of the pandemic in 2020, so cross-reactivity is not likely. Still makes me wonder, because these are not PCR tests where they specifically identified the virus, but the identification of antibodies that bind SARS-COV-2. But that correlation in time is hard to overlook.

-We're talking about high prevalence here: 67% of deer in MI, 44% in PE, 31% in NY and 7% in IL.

-So what the fuck is going on? How did deer catch this? And then how did they spread it to each other or did they? They spend their time outside and are mostly solitary. Could there be a common infection source, say drinking water? And what the hell, Michigan?

-Biggest issue with this is that there is now a documented natural source for SARSCOV2. So even if we eradicate in humans, it can always return. Are there other animal reservoirs? Minks come to mind.
I read about three snow leopards in a zoo that caught it and died. They are seeing SARS in all sorts of cats--though I have not yet seen a case that we know for sure jumped species. They initially said that dogs don't get it, but I haven't heard any update on this.

This is why it drives me insane when people say that this just the flu and that deaths are inflated. I know so many people in denial about this and say you really aren't at risk unless you have some preexisting conditions. Before Covid, I had never heard of someone getting put on a ventilator in their thirties that wasn't for some type of major surgery.
Yup, I keep hearing it too.

"I caught it and I was fine"
"My Uncle caught it and he's fine"

And when you try and tell them "I know like, three people who have died from this personally over the last year" they just start saying things like "Heart Disease kills more people!" As if the existence of greater threat justifies not taking this one seriously. A threat that isn't contagious and we have established treatments and preventative measures for, at that.

It's infuriating.

Yet somehow a guy at my office personally knows three people who developed previously non-existent heart conditions from getting the vaccine.

Yet somehow a guy at my office personally knows three people who developed previously non-existent heart conditions from getting the vaccine.

I have heard about myocarditis in some adolescent patients and blood clotting in rare circumstances but I think the vaccine is overwhelmingly safe. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have given it to rich people and politicians first. And i do believe a lot of people are undiagnosed with things they actually have. I mean I had coronary artery disease at 39 and didn't know it until I started feeling sluggish. If those people have heart conditions it is probably because they already had them in the first place.

Our brains are absolutely, catastrophically incapable of processing and comparing small probabilities, so generally emotion takes control when deciding if a risk is worth it (this is true even for doctors, judges, and others who should "know better," because they still are operating with human brains despite their training). For the people who fear the vaccine, it's like being scared of flying commercial while still being willing to drive everywhere, despite the fact that flying is much safer per mile, because it doesn't feel that way. I know the vast difference between number of people killed driving and flying, but I can tell you how much more nervous I am when I get on that plane than I was driving to the airport. I wish it were as easy as showing how one probability is so much smaller than another, and then my brain would accept it and act accordingly, but I still have that bit of fear on take-off and landing. I don't know how to help people who fear the vaccine, because yes, there are always risks and risks are scary... it's just that there's a much bigger risk next to it (even when the much bigger risk can also be seen as somewhat small from some perspectives).

Our brains are absolutely, catastrophically incapable of processing and comparing small probabilities, so generally emotion takes control when deciding if a risk is worth it (this is true even for doctors, judges, and others who should "know better," because they still are operating with human brains despite their training). For the people who fear the vaccine, it's like being scared of flying commercial while still being willing to drive everywhere, despite the fact that flying is much safer per mile, because it doesn't feel that way. I know the vast difference between number of people killed driving and flying, but I can tell you how much more nervous I am when I get on that plane than I was driving to the airport. I wish it were as easy as showing how one probability is so much smaller than another, and then my brain would accept it and act accordingly, but I still have that bit of fear on take-off and landing. I don't know how to help people who fear the vaccine, because yes, there are always risks and risks are scary... it's just that there's a much bigger risk next to it (even when the much bigger risk can also be seen as somewhat small from some perspectives).
I can relate to that, but at least you are not going around saying that you need more long-term studies about flying since it hasn't been around as long as the wheel

In more bad news, my grandmother, with Alzheimer's got really sick (not related to COVID) and went to Hospital today where was then diagnosed with COVID on top of whatever else is ailing her and is being transferred to Hospice... back to the care home which is currently on lockdown because of a COVID outbreak and my dad can't see her.

Anyone reading this who isn't taking this seriously, please take it seriously, people are literally dying and families are suffering.

Update: Grandma didn't make it through the night. Flying my mom out to Omaha tomorrow to help my dad with everything.

Last edited:
In more bad news, my grandmother, with Alzheimer's got really sick (not related to COVID) and went to Hospital today where was then diagnosed with COVID on top of whatever else is ailing her and is being transferred to Hospice... back to the care home which is currently on lockdown because of a COVID outbreak and my dad can't see her.

Anyone reading this who isn't taking this seriously, please take it seriously, people are literally dying and families are suffering.

Update: Grandma didn't make it through the night. Flying my mom out to Omaha tomorrow to help my dad with everything.
I'm so very sorry. We dealt with something similar in August when my Uncle passed. He had dementia and though he didn't die of Covid, he did contract it in the hospital. They were trying to move him to memory hospice care, but because he was Covid positive, they had to quarantine him and he ended up passing waiting to get to hospice. It was a nightmare. Huge, huge, hugs to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Breakout linked to a Phish show:

Music fans from Massachusetts to California have been flooding social media with reports on a series of concerts they attended in Las Vegas over Halloween weekend. But instead of raving about the set list and extended jams, many are posting COVID-19 test results and seat numbers in a mass effort at grass-roots contact tracing.
“Covid Positive from Vegas” reads one post on Facebook on Nov. 3 that has drawn more than 500 replies, many saying they or their friends tested positive after attending the shows by Phish, a band with deep Vermont roots and a Grateful Dead-like following. The band played four packed shows at the 16,800-seat MGM Grand Garden from Oct. 28 to Oct. 31.
The reports are sparking fresh concerns about the potential for large indoor venues to trigger mass-spreading events just as COVID infections and hospitalizations climb in many areas of the country.

Further down in the article:

In interviews, Phish fans described a crowded venue with poor ventilation and few people wearing masks, despite a Nevada law requiring their use in indoor public settings. MGM said it requires masks indoors, except when eating or drinking.

Fans reported long, packed lines to get into the shows, especially the first night when those who were vaccinated picked up wrist bands that allowed entry for the remaining nights.

”It was pretty chaotic and I could tell the staff were overwhelmed,” said Sean Hathaway, a 31-year-old Somerville fan who attended the shows with his fiancée. He said both were vaccinated, wore their masks the entire time, and did not get sick afterward.

This one is a no brainer. Also @debianlinux, I know you passed on a show earlier in the year because they weren't putting any pandemic controls in place. It looks like you probably made the right decision.

I have a friend struggling with Covid right now. At last update (an hour ago) he's in a hospital after an ambulance ride and yet still can't get a room. He says he can barely breath. This is his second bout with it and he didn't get a vaccine because he though he'd have immunity from already having it. I texted him yesterday to check on him and asked how he was doing and he said 'not good, way worse than last time.' Sure enough this morning he called 911. I'm very worried, he's got diabetes and is very overweight.

I have a friend struggling with Covid right now. At last update (an hour ago) he's in a hospital after an ambulance ride and yet still can't get a room. He says he can barely breath. This is his second bout with it and he didn't get a vaccine because he though he'd have immunity from already having it. I texted him yesterday to check on him and asked how he was doing and he said 'not good, way worse than last time.' Sure enough this morning he called 911. I'm very worried, he's got diabetes and is very overweight.
Man, that really sucks. As a large dude myself, I've been mad worried that even getting the vaccine and taking all the recommended precautions that if I were to catch COVID my chances of having a bad experience would be substantially higher than that of a healthier individual. I've been meaning to get my booster shot... I should schedule that.

Man, that really sucks. As a large dude myself, I've been mad worried that even getting the vaccine and taking all the recommended precautions that if I were to catch COVID my chances of having a bad experience would be substantially higher than that of a healthier individual. I've been meaning to get my booster shot... I should schedule that.
Not to preach, but you should schedule it.

I'm pretty scared right now, as I'm getting updates from his brother. He says he can't breath but can't get a bed at the ER, stuck in the waiting room. Trying to distract myself by posting here.

Not to preach, but you should schedule it.

I'm pretty scared right now, as I'm getting updates from his brother. He says he can't breath but can't get a bed at the ER, stuck in the waiting room. Trying to distract myself by posting here.
Sending love into the universe for him. I'm praying he's okay.

Back