Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

On the news this morning is that one of the COVID-19 vaccine trials has been put on pause after a reported adverse reaction.

The Today Show was interviewing a medical expert this morning who explained what this means.

He said this is the process working as it should, and why we don't rush into approving a vaccine. They asked him what an adverse reaction likely was and if it meant something serious. And the expert says it was likely something like a autoimmune response or someone having a heart attack. What they need to do now is look at the data. Find out if the person in the trial had the vaccine candidate or the placebo. They wouldn't know that yet. Then they need to determine if the adverse reaction was related to the vaccine, or if it was something like a heart attack whether or not the person would have had a heart attack anyways without having the vaccine.

This will take them 3 days to a week to sort out. Because of the high profile nature of the vaccine they will likely make the results public. The experts believes vaccine trials will likely continue in a week or so.

On the news this morning is that one of the COVID-19 vaccine trials has been put on pause after a reported adverse reaction.

The Today Show was interviewing a medical expert this morning who explained what this means.

He said this is the process working as it should, and why we don't rush into approving a vaccine. They asked him what an adverse reaction likely was and if it meant something serious. And the expert says it was likely something like a autoimmune response or someone having a heart attack. What they need to do now is look at the data. Find out if the person in the trial had the vaccine candidate or the placebo. They wouldn't know that yet. Then they need to determine if the adverse reaction was related to the vaccine, or if it was something like a heart attack whether or not the person would have had a heart attack anyways without having the vaccine.

This will take them 3 days to a week to sort out. Because of the high profile nature of the vaccine they will likely make the results public. The experts believes vaccine trials will likely continue in a week or so.

Do you know which?

Wow, hearing on the Today show about how different universities are handling suspected COVID-19 cases. And I say suspected because in a lot of cases the students are not getting tested :oops:

One student interviewed this morning said they asked her her symptoms. They didn't send her to a nurse or recommended testing. They instructed her to stay in isolation in her dorm room for 10 days. Nothing more.

Another university told a student to return home and isolate at home for 10 days. Nothing else.

Some universities have special isolation dorms where they deliver each morning 3 meals for the day. The universities that have these are reporting that they are almost out of capacity in the isolation dorms. Many of the students in the isolation dorms have not been tested. They were placed into the isolation dorms based on their symptoms.

On the opposite end of isolation, a returning student who had tested positive 10 days before move in day at her university was told it's been 10 days since your positive test. She is free and clear and has no restrictions.

Wow, hearing on the Today show about how different universities are handling suspected COVID-19 cases. And I say suspected because in a lot of cases the students are not getting tested :oops:

One student interviewed this morning said they asked her her symptoms. They didn't send her to a nurse or recommended testing. They instructed her to stay in isolation in her dorm room for 10 days. Nothing more.

Another university told a student to return home and isolate at home for 10 days. Nothing else.

Some universities have special isolation dorms where they deliver each morning 3 meals for the day. The universities that have these are reporting that they are almost out of capacity in the isolation dorms. Many of the students in the isolation dorms have not been tested. They were placed into the isolation dorms based on their symptoms.

On the opposite end of isolation, a returning student who had tested positive 10 days before move in day at her university was told it's been 10 days since your positive test. She is free and clear and has no restrictions.
If I were in college right now, I would demand my tuition back.

If I were in college right now, I would demand my tuition back.

Speaking of tuition, last week there was a story about a university suspending / expelling several students after they violated COVID policies by having a hotel party.

Tuition was something like $29,000 and will not be refunded to the students. That's a costly mistake.

Student's do have the option to appeal the suspension.

Speaking of tuition, last week there was a story about a university suspending / expelling several students after they violated COVID policies by having a hotel party.

Tuition was something like $29,000 and will not be refunded to the students. That's a costly mistake.

If it was these kids, good. Fuck em. Gotta love my brother's alma mater.

Hope they had a good time at the party!

If it was these kids, good. Fuck em. Gotta love my brother's alma mater.

It might have been this University, and the tuition is 36k :oops:

Reports of the first deaths of teachers are coming in now that schools have resumed. Here is one such report.

What really irks me is seeing discussion about this on Facebook. Someone responded with.

A lot of people in a lot of different professions have passed away from COVID-19. This is a pandemic and to be expected. Why should teachers get to refuse to work if I and people of many other professions have to go to work. They all should lose their jobs for not showing up to work.

Teachers striking and being ordered to return to the classrooms because of illegal work stoppage are still happening here in MA. 3 schools had to cancel yesterday that I know of because teachers were striking. The school districts are "deeply disappointed in the teachers action" calling it an illegal work stoppage. Teachers in those 3 school districts are expected to be ordered back in the classrooms today as happened in at least a dozen other other school districts so far. So far the court orders have not came out favorable to any teachers / teachers union all calling the strikes and refusal to return to the classroom until these minimal safety requirements are met as illegal work stoppage.

11 towns had protests by teachers ordered back into the classroom last night on the town commons. Teachers were out protesting the schools decision to resume in person classes through hybrid learning models and calling for 100% remote learning until minimum safety requirements are met.

Some of you may remember last week that I said my town failed to extend our mask ordinance which I believe only ever applied to grocery stores and pharmacies. They voted 5-4 in favor, but for the 1st vote on a renewal, a 2/3 majority is required, so it failed.

Since last week, a petition was started in support of the extension. It garnered almost 13k signatures. A similar petition against only received 1500. The mayor said he didn't stop getting calls all week in support of extending the mandate.

They voted again at the meeting last night. Of course, a similar number of people for and against the ordinance showed up to the meeting, several of whom "suggested the ordinance would encourage pedophilia and sex trafficking."

The penalty for not wearing a mask is a $25 ticket. None were issued in the two months the previous ordinance was effective.

The town council was in no way swayed by the outpouring of support in favor of the mask ordinance and voted exactly the same. Luckily, on a second vote a simple majority is sufficient for passage.

I will be voting against all of the against voters, who did not change their vote when the town made it clear that they disagreed with them, if a slightly reasonable alternative is presented.

Last edited:
I will be voting against all of the against voters, who did not change their opinion when the town made it clear that they disagreed with them, if a slightly reasonable alternative is presented.
This is enraging. They represent, or are supposed to, represent the people. When the people are against something you’re supposed to side with the majority of the people. If you’re actively against the will of the voters then what are you doing in public service?

This is enraging. They represent, or are supposed to, represent the people. When the people are against something you’re supposed to side with the majority of the people. If you’re actively against the will of the voters then what are you doing in public service?
Thanks, this is exactly what I expressed to my wife earlier tonight. Infuriating.

We all know politics is self serving and corporate interests these days.
Sure but this is an industry-less town. These town council members have day jobs. We have a tourist industry for adjacent areas, but that law shouldn't impact it at all, it might even help. I really don't understand their position and there don't seem to be businesses lobbying for it either. The biggest market here other than tourism is real estate, which has been running the town for some time and it is not impacted either.

My nephew went back to Jamestown Univ in North Dakota a couple weeks ago, after spending the summer with his parents, who don’t think masks work, that covid is going to magically go away on November 4th because it’s a Democratic plot to stop Trump from being re-elected.

He was back at school for 3 days, temp 103, cough, sore throat. COVID positive. He’s a healthy athletic 19 year old, so I’m sure he’ll be alright. But can I admit that I felt a smidge of vindication, and am hoping his QAnon believing mom, dad, and grandpa are worried to death?

Back