Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

My mom has these little framed prints of each of her kids' names and a "meaning" for the name along with a Bible verse. They've been hanging on the wall in the stairwell at my parents' house for as long as I can remember. No idea where they came from. When I was in college (majoring in religion) I came home one day and it suddenly struck me: "Hey Mom, my name does not mean 'Lifter of Cares.' I'm pretty sure Wayne derives from wainwright -- it's an occupational name."

Her answer? "There were lots of Israelites that didn't get mentioned in the Bible. There could have been one named Wayne. You don't know."

Anyway -- moms gonna mom.

My mom once tried to convince me that the the story of Jesus turning water into wine didn't involve "wine" but non-alcoholic grape juice.
Cause there's nothing like a good batch of Welch's to set off a Wedding.

Moms are most definitely gonna mom.

I’ll take that as a no.

Life is generally shitty for most folks. You can either whine about it, or do something about it.

Typical black and white viewpoint. I have poured 100's of hours of my free time into causes both local and national. Campaigns big and small. Inside the system and outside of it. Homelessness. Environmental issues. The fight for 15. Ext, ext, Hell, last year my brother organized the building of a food pantry for impoverished teens in Denver and then we utilized the connections we have in our industry to get that pantry filled with nutritious food.

It is possible to be angry and pro-active at the same time. And no matter how you spin it, younger generations have been bent over backwards and fucked raw by the decisions of and lack of empathy from and general awareness of older generations. Period.

Last edited:
I’ll take that as a no.

Life is generally shitty for most folks. You can either whine about it, or do something about it.
I think a lot of what you call “whining” is more of a reactionary response to having many from older generations telling young (-ish) folks that when they are less successful it’s because they are shiftless or lazy as opposed to recognizing that a lot of the challenges Millennials face are due to being dealt a shitty hand. I do think there is a difference between whining and making others aware of the challenges that our generation faces but there is a fine line. I worry that sometimes Boomers are becoming a millennial whipping boy.

I think a lot of what you call “whining” is more of a reactionary response to having many from older generations telling young (-ish) folks that when they are less successful it’s because they are shiftless or lazy as opposed to recognizing that a lot of the challenges Millennials face are due to being dealt a shitty hand. I do think there is a difference between whining and making others aware of the challenges that our generation faces but there is a fine line. I worry that sometimes Boomers are becoming a millennial whipping boy.

Nowhere in the article I posted did the author blame older generations. But Chuck's response to the data epitomizes why the animosity towards older generations is becoming very real. Rugged individualism is just a mask for self centeredness, stubborn American exceptionalism and blatant greed.

"During the recession, half of recent graduates were unable to find work; the Millennials’ formal unemployment rate ranged as high as 20 or 30 percent. High rates of joblessness, low wages, and stagnant earnings trajectories dogged them for the following decade. A major Pew study found that Millennials with a college degree and a full-time job were earning by 2018 roughly what Gen Xers were earning in 2001. But Millennials who did not finish their post-secondary education or never went to college were poorer than their counterparts in Generation X or the Baby Boom generation. Economic growth, in other words, left the best-off Millennials treading water and the worst-off drowning.

What little data exist point to a financial tsunami for younger workers. In a new report, Data for Progress found that a staggering 52 percent of people under the age of 45 have lost a job, been put on leave, or had their hours reduced due to the pandemic, compared with 26 percent of people over the age of 45. Nearly half said that the cash payments the federal government is sending to lower- and middle-income individuals would cover just a week or two of expenses, compared with a third of older adults. This means skipped meals, scuppered start-ups, and lost homes. It means Great Depression–type precarity for prime-age workers in the richest country on earth."

The data is clear-cut and stark. And the causes (privatization, deregulation, globalization) are clearly correlated.

Nowhere in the article I posted did the author blame older generations. But Chuck's response to the data epitomizes why the animosity towards older generations is becoming very real. Rugged individualism is just a mask for self centeredness, stubborn American exceptionalism and blatant greed.

"During the recession, half of recent graduates were unable to find work; the Millennials’ formal unemployment rate ranged as high as 20 or 30 percent. High rates of joblessness, low wages, and stagnant earnings trajectories dogged them for the following decade. A major Pew study found that Millennials with a college degree and a full-time job were earning by 2018 roughly what Gen Xers were earning in 2001. But Millennials who did not finish their post-secondary education or never went to college were poorer than their counterparts in Generation X or the Baby Boom generation. Economic growth, in other words, left the best-off Millennials treading water and the worst-off drowning.

What little data exist point to a financial tsunami for younger workers. In a new report, Data for Progress found that a staggering 52 percent of people under the age of 45 have lost a job, been put on leave, or had their hours reduced due to the pandemic, compared with 26 percent of people over the age of 45. Nearly half said that the cash payments the federal government is sending to lower- and middle-income individuals would cover just a week or two of expenses, compared with a third of older adults. This means skipped meals, scuppered start-ups, and lost homes. It means Great Depression–type precarity for prime-age workers in the richest country on earth."

The data is clear-cut and stark. And the causes (privatization, deregulation, globalization) are clearly correlated.
And if your idea of taking action to fix something is to beg the government for free shit, don’t be surprised when mommy and daddy don’t have any respect for you.

giphy.gif

And if your idea of taking action to fix something is to beg the government for free shit, don’t be surprised when mommy and daddy don’t have any respect for you.

"I think we're just out of time
Said the officer to the kid
Ahmed was almost fifteen and handcuffed.
He was just building his own sense of time
He was just building time (one of many)

But comfort says we're fine
And Angela said to open the door
Money, it seems, needs its working class
Money, it seems, needs its working class
We are just waiting for the old folks to die

We are just waiting
For the old thoughts to die

Just killing time
Just killing time
Just killing time
Just killing time
Just killing time
Just killing time
Just killing time"

I was speaking more to the idea that Millennials were Whiners than to this specific article.

Look, I know you and @DownIsTheNewUp have very different politics and outlooks, but surely you can understand that completely ignoring everything @DownIsTheNewUp is saying, as well as the content of the fact based article that was posted, to instead just condescend about points that @DownIsTheNewUp did not mention or make in the posts you are replying to just comes across as bad faith trolling.

Last edited:
This hits the nail on the head, when I graduated from University during the recession my best option was taking off and heading to China than working in the states, best decision I ever made. And no one is begging the government for free shit, what I saw overseas completely changed my perspective, affordable schooling, I remember at university in China, no textbook cost more than $20, it blew my mind. Going to the emergency room of a hospital, $1, getting an MRI $50. Affordable cellphone bills with 5g and unlimited data $10/month, infrastructure that supports movement without a need to purchase a car, nobody is demanding free shit, we are demanding that we use our taxes to go to services that actually benefit the people. This whole begging the govt for help because you can't pull yourself up by the bootstraps is completely outdated and does not reflect the current situation in America, I felt more free in China than I have felt since moving back to America.

Countdown until he calls you a communist in 3, 2, 1....

But yes, having numerous friends from Europe, Korea and South America (aka non-authoritarian countries) has really hammered home how behind America is in so many regards. And how much the media lies to us about what is and isn't feasible and / or a good idea.

Look, I know you and @DownIsTheNewUp have very different politics and outlooks, but surely you can understand that completely ignoring everything @DownIsTheNewUp is saying, as well as the content of the fact based article that was posted, to instead just condescend about points that @DownIsTheNewUp did not mention or make in the posts you are replying to just comes across as bad faith trolling.
It’s not so much bad faith trolling as much as an exasperated sigh of “this woe is me shit again?”

It’s not so much bad faith trolling as much as an exasperated sigh of “this woe is me shit again?”

Half my friends are unemployed at the moment. Only a small fraction of my friends can afford to own property. Most of my friends are drowning in student debt.

It's only woe is ME if it's about ME. In reality, I'm actually pretty grateful for where I'm at all things considered. Because I'm still employed and working for a company that cares about it's workers. No, I'm concerned for my friends and for the future. For my friend's kids, the kids I would like to have and my generation as a whole.

Again, the lack of empathy from older generations is jaw droppingly disgusting and makes clear why social progress is repeatedly been stonewalled in this country (and why we have been spiraling backwards economically for decades). The values of Jesus have been replaced by the altars of Ann Rand.

Back