Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Half my friends are unemployed at the moment. Only a small fraction of my friends can afford to own property. Most of my friends are drowning in student debt.

It's only woe is ME if it's about ME. In reality, I'm actually pretty grateful for where I'm at all things considered. Because I'm still employed and working for a company that cares about it's workers. No, I'm concerned for my friends and for the future. For my friend's kids, the kids I would like to have and my generation as a whole.

Again, the lack of empathy from older generations is jaw droppingly disgusting and makes clear why social progress is repeatedly been stonewalled in this country (and why we have been spiraling backwards economically for decades). The values of Jesus have been replaced by the altars of Ann Rand.

This. I am a Liberal New Yorker who supports medicare for all, raising the minimum wage, free state college (or at least interest free loans), etc.

But it's not for me. I am fully employed with a good salary, health insurance, and have paid off my student loans 100% a long time ago. I just see others who aren't as fortunate as I have been and I'm not going to credit my situation to just "working harder", there was luck and circumstance there that others didn't have.

Everyone should have these basic rights and I am more than happy to have my tax dollars go towards that (even if they are raised). And it blows my mind there is so much opposition toward that in this country. It's simple empathy

My mom just shared a video "documentary" from Epoch Times on the Coronavirus. I had to spend 10 minutes explaining how Epoch Times is literally banned from advertising on Facebook because of their foreign ties and disinformation campaigns. To which she responded with a few hmmm's and a nice "Facebook and Google control a lot of what people see and believe".

I can't.

Me and my wife talk about this a lot. Older people didn't have to come up in a world where facts are malleable and truth is blatantly manipulated. The idea of a "good source" has literally never occurred to our parents. They see a post on Facebook and assume it's true without researching the biases of the authors. It's a little scary, to be honest, because I'd bet 80% of older folks are like that. (And the ones posting on this forum likely aren't, because you're way more tech savvy just to be on a forum like this than your peers, so don't take it personally boomers).

I’ll take that as a no.

Life is generally shitty for most folks. You can either whine about it, or do something about it.

The whole "millennial whining" thing is more about pointing out the trends and the material facts for many youngish Americans compared to the previous generations. It's not really whining to point out that boomers came up during one of the most prosperous times in history, but that this country has significantly changed since the 1980s, making it much more difficult for many youngish Americans to achieve the same level of stability and prosperity that their parents were gifted with.

But yes, muh bootstraps.

Older people didn't have to come up in a world where facts are malleable and truth is blatantly manipulated.
To be fair, I think they absolutely did, it's just that it was being manipulated by a monolithic system and in a uniform way that made the manipulation much harder for the average person to identify.

To be fair, I think they absolutely did, it's just that it was being manipulated by a monolithic system and in a uniform way that made the manipulation much harder for the average person to identify.

Eh. I don't know. I think that's like trying to compare an apple to an orchard. Sure, they both got apples, but shit, the orchard is WAY more complex. There used to be laws about truth in media, like the fairness doctrine, which I know was a very particular thing, but still. Now we have state-sponsored troll campaigns spewing propaganda on social media while boomers mainline fox news and sean hannity. The idea that older generations existed in a media environment anywhere near as fragmented, confusing, and destructive as the one I grew up in is just... iffy at best.

I don’t support that any more than any other brand of free shit from the gubmint.

Oh yeah this guy is trolling 100%.

I mean we can trim a lot of fat from that sentiment for your particular worldview, right?
This is much more accurate than not. If government has any valid purpose at all, it is to protect the rights of the citizenry from infringement by others. Wealth transfers do not fit that bill.

I really don't get this "free" argument. We pay a huge amount in taxes. I just think that money should towards helping people have decent lives.
Instead it’s used for corporate welfare and an unnecessarily large military
As someone who pays more in road and fuel taxes annually than the median US income, how about we be allowed to keep our money instead of allowing the government to siphon off our wealth?

No, I’m not trolling. I do view the ceo sticking his hand out out with the same disdain as anyone else with their hand out begging for free shit.

You can believe what you're saying and still be a troll. That ~~deep~~ quote at the bottom of your posts is just meant to annoy people that don't agree with you.

As someone who pays more in road and fuel taxes annually than the median US income, how about we be allowed to keep our money instead of allowing the government to siphon off our wealth?

I'm ok with the taxes I pay. I live comfortably even after they're taken out. I don't need more. I just would like that money to go toward helping others live comfortably.

I'm ok with the taxes I pay. I live comfortably even after they're taken out. I don't need more. I just would like that money to go toward helping others live comfortably.

Yeah this is how I feel. I'm self employed so I get a little reamed by taxes every year, but I'm very comfortable myself, so I don't mind paying them. Hell, I'd happily give more if I knew it was going toward helping people.

Back