Neil Young

I'm doing even worse/better... per my Discogs:

1 year ago - Homegrown
1 year ago - Fillmore East
9 months ago - Rust Bucket (Target B2G1 deal)
8 months ago - Young Shakespeare
6 months ago - Massey Hall (via trade)
4 months ago - Cellar Door
4 months ago - Return to Greendale (Amazon cheap deal)
4 months ago - On the Beach ($1 at a yard sale, actually plays better than the copy I had for years)
3 months ago - Trans / Freedom / This Note's For You ($5 each from private collection)
2 months ago - Reactor (cheap used copy)
1 month ago - Decade (from the same private collection)
1 month ago - Hitchhiker
1 month ago - Hawks & Doves (cheap used copy)
16 days ago - Roxy (PBC order)
Currently waiting for Carnegie Hall

Totals: 8 live albums (4 of them acoustic), 8 studio works (2 from the archives), plus 1 compilation. I already had most of his 70s albums before this year, but 2021 is when I went off the deep end with Neil.

Yes, typing all this makes me feel crazy.
You bought Freedom for $5?

Hopefully soon. Though, that was one of the cassettes I purchased so I have that to tide me over in the meantime.
Storytone, Broken Arrow, and the two Archives are the only things I don't own a copy of in some format. Discogs shows I have 57 vinyl releases by him. I assume @Yer Ol' Uncle D is like three times that?

You bought Freedom for $5?
Yep. It's near mint too, and I don't use that term lightly. A few months ago I stumbled upon a private collection at a yard sale. The former owner passed away unexpectedly last year (more on that below), and his sister was tasked with liquidating the guys' various collectibles (vinyl being only one of his hobbies).

Normally I'd offer $1-2 a piece, but in light of the sad background I decided to be a bit more generous and not only offered $5 a piece, but also pointed out to her which albums (out of the ones I was not interested in, of course) were actually worth a pretty penny. Most of the collection was 80s/90s alternative/punk/metal, so there was a lot of unusual stuff there (and is why I now own not 1, not 2, but 7 Butthole Surfers records). There was only one other person who looked at the collection before me and grabbed about 1/3 of the albums I had my eyes on. I still ended up purchasing 50+ LPs through that connection over the course of a couple of months. It was wild.

Anyway, that's how I got Freedom for cheap. I even created a separated folder in my Discogs to track the value of these new additions. Let's just say that the minimum value is more than twice what I spent. The max value is about 8x more (to be fair, not all records were in pristine shape, so the fmv is somewhere in between).

It was all fun and games until I discovered through the local news, by total accident, what happened to the original owner of all those records. It turns out he was murdered in cold blood by a psychotic neighbor he didn't even know, shot through the window of the house where he lived while he sat on the couch watching TV. The killer was just recently sentenced to life in jail, which is why there was a news story about all this (murders are uncommon here in our neck of the woods).

Obviously I felt sick to my stomach when I learned all this. I contacted the sister once again and bought a few more records, and this time I offered my condolences and paid a little more for a rare Husker Du record. The whole thing has been a trip.

My NY vinyl purchases over the year:

Massey
Zuma
Carnegie Hall
Trans
Greatest Hits
Silver & Gold
On The Beach
Harvest
Neil Young
Young Shakespeare
After The Gold Rush
Archives II CD box
Rust Bucket
Official Release Series box (with Long May You Run, American Stars & Bars, Comes A Time, Rust Never Sleeps & Live Rust)
Reactor

Storytone, Broken Arrow, and the two Archives are the only things I don't own a copy of in some format. Discogs shows I have 57 vinyl releases by him. I assume @Yer Ol' Uncle D is like three times that?
I have at least one copy of every NY/related release available on vinyl accrued over the decades. Don't even count CD's anymore - way too many bootlegs.

The current state of the NY record shelves...

20211111_214229.jpg

Was there a repress of Live at Massey or was this more of a random thing? I'm trying to find a Canadian retailer that has it in stock.

Was there a repress of Live at Massey or was this more of a random thing? I'm trying to find a Canadian retailer that has it in stock.
My guess is it’s a repress. Music Direct probably just got theirs up and posted first. I bet over the next couple weeks they will start popping up on other sites. You could always either hit up the PBC thread here to see if @Ethos99 or your local record store could order ya a copy.

Last edited:
There must have been. Search UPC code
Code:

I see it at Bull Moose, and others

how's the neil young 8.5-12 official release series vinyl box? i like neil a lot but nowhere near a completionist. saw that box for what seems like a solid price ($100 shipped) but not sure if there are better albums to grab from him for that price. i do already own Rust Never Sleeps.

Back