Needles & Grooves Fantasy Hockey League

Is there a way to allow for free agent pickups vs waivers at some point? I need a goalie start tomorrow to get to 3 so I need to pick someone up but I don't know who's starting tomorrow and will have to guess and submit a claim for tonight, but if they don't start there's nothing I can do about it tomorrow. It would make navigating all of the COVID stuff a little easier. (I obviously don't expect a change today to help me for tomorrow, just thinking about going forward haha).

Is there a way to allow for free agent pickups vs waivers at some point? I need a goalie start tomorrow to get to 3 so I need to pick someone up but I don't know who's starting tomorrow and will have to guess and submit a claim for tonight, but if they don't start there's nothing I can do about it tomorrow. It would make navigating all of the COVID stuff a little easier. (I obviously don't expect a change today to help me for tomorrow, just thinking about going forward haha).
Looking at who is playing tomorrow and who is expected to start in goal, your only real option is DeSmith 🤷‍♂️

if you need a goalie tomorrow, make a claim now
and you’ll get him in time (i think - it’s not already too late is it?). Can be a little tough but you have to plan ahead. I had to be creative a few weeks ago when both of my goalie starters went on IR at the same time. It happens.

Waivers are good because if 2 people are in the same boat and there’s only one goalie/suitable player available, then top waiver gets him.

I lost at least 5 selections to waiver order since the start of the season so I know it’s working.

Looking at who is playing tomorrow and who is expected to start in goal, your only real option is DeSmith 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, looks like him or Blackwood maybe. Thanks!

if you need a goalie tomorrow, make a claim now
and you’ll get him in time (i think - it’s not already too late is it?). Can be a little tough but you have to plan ahead. I had to be creative a few weeks ago when both of my goalie starters went on IR at the same time. It happens.

Waivers are good because if 2 people are in the same boat and there’s only one goalie/suitable player available, then top waiver gets him.

I lost at least 5 selections to waiver order since the start of the season so I know it’s working.
With football waivers process Wednesday morning but after that you can pick anyone up until their game starts in case someone is announced out leading up to the game, which is nice. But I see how that doesn't really work with hockey. I did submit a claim, but if that guy ends up not starting, or I don't get him, there's nothing I can do last minute to help. I suppose that's just how this game goes though haha

JonYs BestGuesses are starting to come out from the injury plague and get back into form....watch out everyone 😎 :cool:
Considering you are currently in 2nd place with the same amount of points I have, and given you have already beaten me once, I won't take your team lightly once we go head-to-head again (week 14) 😉

You won't need much luck against me. I learned the hard way this year; gotta draft a goalie early. I think most of my losses have come from that side of the match-up.
🍻
I got a few studs at G, could maybe part with one....what's your offer!? hehe

It's interesting how no team has pulled the trigger on a trade yet 🤔

I am having a hard enough time cutting people off when they return off IR. Seems like all my waiver pickups this year have turned into gold. So i've been tossing coins when deciding to keep my new pickup or keep my original pick

Last edited:
JonYs BestGuesses are starting to come out from the injury plague and get back into form....watch out everyone 😎 :cool:
You dominated our matchup this past week. GGs
It's interesting how no team has pulled the trigger on a trade yet 🤔
I’ll take McDavid off your hands for a future draft pick, some used vinyl, and a firm handshake!

BTW just realized how close things are.....9 weeks to go and there's a 5 way tie at 7 points, 3 at 15 points....2 at 16 and Greg chilling in the middle at 9! 4.5 wins seperate the top and bottom! Anything can happen with 9 weeks left

I
I am having a hard enough time cutting people off whne they return off IR. Seems like all my waiver pickups this year have turned into gold. So i've been tossing coins when deciding to keep my new pickup or keep my original pick
I hear you! Most of my waiver wire pickups (Meier, Couture, Getzlaf, Rodriguez etc.) have been solid as well, and like you I've had to make some tough decisions when guys returned from injury or COVID-19 protocal. Yes I regret dropping Kyrou but on the other hand I'm glad I held on to Hughes 🤷‍♂️

Well fuck! 😕

Edmonton Oilers superstar Connor McDavid and forward Derek Ryan tested positive for COVID-19, head coach Dave Tippett said Tuesday, according to TSN's Ryan Rishaug.

Both players are being retested. Their status for Wednesday's contest against the Toronto Maple Leafs won't be known until game day.

They were held out of practice for precautionary reasons, according to Oilers play-by-play announcer Jack Michaels.

McDavid also missed morning skate Monday, but Tippett said the 24-year-old was just resting prior to the Oilers' game against the New York Rangers and that it wasn't a COVID-19 scare. McDavid played almost 19 minutes during Edmonton's 4-1 loss at Madison Square Garden.

He leads the league with 53 points in 33 games while averaging over 22 minutes of ice time a night. McDavid's absence would be a massive blow to the struggling Oilers, who are currently riding a four-game winless streak.

Ryan has registered two goals in 30 contests so far this season.

McDavid previously tested positive for COVID-19 and experienced mild symptoms back in October 2020.

The Maple Leafs find themselves in a similar situation prior to Wednesday's matchup.

Star center Auston Matthews tested positive on a rapid test Monday. He also took a PCR test Monday and the results came back negative Tuesday. He is awaiting further test results and hasn't been ruled out of the game against Edmonton.

Back