Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 9 - March 2020 /// X-Ray Spex - Germfree Adolescents

ESSAY COMING SOON
will hopefully get the essay up by the end of the month.
giphy.gif

Looks like the film on Poly Styrene is out next month - started seeing a bit of press around it...

Looks like the film on Poly Styrene is out next month - started seeing a bit of press around it...

Yes! Premieres in the US with sxsw!

Just ordered this. I missed like a whole year of these AOTMs, but trying to go back through now. Sorry that I’m so late to the party on this!

Great pick, @girlnevergoesout ! All of that background and context that you shared was really helpful for me. I’m excited to check out your “further listening” albums, too!

Honestly, I was surprised how much I enjoyed this album by the time I finished listening through the whole thing, since I’m not generally into punk music, but I got hooked by “Identity” and the title track. This is not an album I would have checked out on my own - I think I tend to misread the passion in punk music (as like toxic or self-destructive) or write it off musically, but this album feels more accessible and essential and maybe even like, life-affirming, to me, musically, than a lot of other punk music I’ve heard (but maybe if I went back to those albums now, I’d hear them differently). The sax parts are so much fun and work so well, too. I’m wondering if maybe bfly’s recent Calliope Musicals pick kind of primed me to pick up on something here that I might have otherwise missed but I’m looking forward to spending more time with this album when it arrives.

In order to help supply extra dopamine hits during my No Buy July some friends and I have taken to swapping bags of 3-5 records for a week or two at a time - I specifically requested a copy of this album from the friend I knew had a copy of it so I could spin it while digging through this thread. Seems extra fitting since the last @girlnevergoesout thread I interacted with was also a No Buy thread. In terms of the thread itself, this one felt like one of the more off the rails AotM threads I've now gone back and explored. Y'all are nuts!

As to the album itself, I'm so glad to have finally checked it out. It's one of those albums that's been on my "I know this is an important album and should one day actually listen to it" list for a long time now and it absolutely delivered! So far I've only spun it once, but there will definitely be further spins - just not while my wife is in the vicinity as, unfortunately, she hated it. :ROFLMAO: :( I definitely did not hate it, nor did I realize punk and sax had been done together so nicely. This definitely slaps and will be something I eventually add to the collection at home even if it gets relegated, with Sun Ra, to the "only for listening while the wife's not around" section of the library!

Great pick GNGO. Thank you.

Sale!

Back