Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 51 - September 2023 Two-Fer/// Daniel Bachman - Seven Pines and Almanac Behind - See Post #2

No need to keep up the charade. I tried pretty hard to make these records more and more obvious over the last few days with added hints and accelerated clues.

Congrats to everyone on their sleuthery and a hearty tip o' de cap to @AndySlash for being the sleutheriest. You'll get the extra entries into the prize wheel.

I'll update post #2 with some links.

If y'all would be so kind, hold off on ordering either of these til I hear Back from Daniel. You know I'm passionate about supporting the artist and I've reached out to see which route to purchase will benefit him the most financially.

Good times, y'all. Thanks for playing.

Oh........here are how a few of the clues tied in that weren't addressed or @AndySlash was a little off, and he was off very little...

The Doors LA Woman Sessions - In LA Woman, Jim used an anagram for his name in Mr. Mojo Risin'. Almanac Behind is an anagram of Daniel Bachman.
Elton John/Bernie Taupin - they wrote Daniel.
Junior Samples - Almanac Behind contains many field recordings and distorted samples
Wind Chimes - the ominous beginning and ending to Almanac Behind
Jack Rose - experimental folk guitarist who Daniel befriended and an influence on Seven Pines
Civil War References - these people and places combine to drill down to the Battle Of Seven Pines

No need to keep up the charade. I tried pretty hard to make these records more and more obvious over the last few days with added hints and accelerated clues.

Congrats to everyone on their sleuthery and a hearty tip o' de cap to @AndySlash for being the sleutheriest. You'll get the extra entries into the prize wheel.

I'll update post #2 with some links.

If y'all would be so kind, hold off on ordering either of these til I hear Back from Daniel. You know I'm passionate about supporting the artist and I've reached out to see which route to purchase will benefit him the most financially.

Good times, y'all. Thanks for playing.

Oh........here are how a few of the clues tied in that weren't addressed or @AndySlash was a little off, and he was off very little...

The Doors LA Woman Sessions - In LA Woman, Jim used an anagram for his name in Mr. Mojo Risin'. Almanac Behind is an anagram of Daniel Bachman.
Elton John/Bernie Taupin - they wrote Daniel.
Junior Samples - Almanac Behind contains many field recordings and distorted samples
Wind Chimes - the ominous beginning and ending to Almanac Behind
Jack Rose - experimental folk guitarist who Daniel befriended and an influence on Seven Pines
Civil War References - these people and places combine to drill down to the Battle Of Seven Pines

Well done @AndySlash!!

Great records and great hints, @Yer Ol' Uncle D ! I'd been out of town and missed these, but think I could have put it together soon enough, too. I've been listening to solo guitar like Daniel and their other experiments like 30% of the time in the last several years. (Jack Rose was an incredible player, too; check out Kensington Blues!) Daniel is a really talented player and seems like a very interesting, thoughtful and kind person, too. He's very into gardening and local history (great follow on the ol' Twitter.)

Hope some of you check these records out.

Here are your links to buy that best support Daniel Bachman.

If your only avenue to buy a record is thru another source, I get it and that's totally cool.

The endgame is to get these records in your hands by whatever means.

I'm very excited to get these. I've listened to Daniel's music a few times on streaming before, but didn't have any on wax. He's one that I'd love to get to see live one day. Great picks Unc!

i listened (as best i could at the time while doing other things) to some of the almanac behind on the day of the reveal and liked what i heard- i dig ambient, field recording stuff and the concept is definitely intriguing, so looking forward to exploring that one specifically- but i assume it will not be everyone's cup o'tea. a few bits reminded me of when i'd be playing red dead redemption II, to be honest, and that's not a bad thing.

i'm sure i'll enjoy seven pines if the kottke comparison is as described.

Here are your links to buy that best support Daniel Bachman.

If your only avenue to buy a record is thru another source, I get it and that's totally cool.

The endgame is to get these records in your hands by whatever means.

Picked up Seven Pines blind, but I may seek out an alternate source for Almanac Behind to see if I can get it for less than the $60 Bandcamp would run me...

Picked up Seven Pines blind, but I may seek out an alternate source for Almanac Behind to see if I can get it for less than the $60 Bandcamp would run me...

Looks like my semi-local has it for half that, and free shipping once I've built my order up to the threshold, so it may take a bit longer to arrive but it is secured!

i listened (as best i could at the time while doing other things) to some of the almanac behind on the day of the reveal and liked what i heard- i dig ambient, field recording stuff and the concept is definitely intriguing, so looking forward to exploring that one specifically- but i assume it will not be everyone's cup o'tea. a few bits reminded me of when i'd be playing red dead redemption II, to be honest, and that's not a bad thing.

i'm sure i'll enjoy seven pines if the kottke comparison is as described.
Almanac Behind is a challenging record that's probably 180 degrees away from what most folks identify as Daneil Bachman music. That's the majesty and beauty of it and why I chose it as a companion to a sizzlin' guitar record.

As I stated in the reveal, Almanac Behind really benefits from a complete uninterrupted listen. It really wields its power if you listen to it while viewing the companion film. It's linked below as well as commentary on the musical meaning and construction of each track.

Brave record. Bravo, Daniel.

Back